Please help, I really don't know what to do

AnaleiMiliani

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat viciously attacked my mom and I. I'm 15, and have no idea what to do. I've raised her since she was a kitten. I couldn't tell what it was when i was attacked and I was screaming because I thought another animal was attacking her (because she was hissing and growling so much) So safe to say, it was way out of the ordinary. She is about two years old, indoor cat, but was never fixed or anything which idk if that could have a part in this, but she's never been outside.

What happened was my mom was outside, and walked back in just to be attacked by her. I was taking a nap so I just automatically woke up to my mom screaming, and I didn't know what was happening. It was really dark and I honestly thought it was a possum and that's why I freaked out. When she saw me starting get up, she ran on me and attacked me so bad there was blood everywhere and I immediately covered my eyes. I was so shaken I couldn't move, I couldn't hear what my mom was telling me and I just began to scream and cry for my cat because I didn't know what was happening. She went back and forth on each of us attacking. My mom finally told me to stop, and relax, maybe we were scaring her. That's when I realized it was my cat attacking us. So we relaxed and froze. my cat did the same. She looked at me when I uncovered my face and just meowed at me. Like nothing happened. We didn't think of putting her somewhere because we were covered in blood. As we cleaned up ourselves in the bathroom, our cat nalah was meowing, and meowing, like she wanted something. She tried to get on my lap and I flinched because I was scared of her. And then she hissed at me. (Keep in mind I was still, I read something on body posture and I kept still) And then calmed down and meowed again. Then hissed again, like something was taking over her. It was literally like she had rabies (which there is no possible way) So my mom locked her in the other room. I gave her food and water. Shes been in there since 7 am and we haven't let her out. My mom doesn't trust her at all, and says after that she doesn't want us to keep her. My mom has teeth marks in her skin, and I have scratch marks covering my whole body. She got my hand so bad to where I can hardly move it. We ended up going to the hospital. I don't understand. It was a normal day. That exact morning she was laying on my chest and I was petting her. While we were both half a sleep. But right now I'm so frightened of her I can't even look at her. I tried earlier today to check up on her and she just meowed at me. I thought she might be really sick or something was wrong but I don't know what to do, I'm scared to get close. Can someone please help or give me advice? If there's some way I can help her or anything I will. I love her and feel like we do have a bond because shes always by my side and some days when I come home and cry she nudges her head against my hand, like she understands. It breaks my heart to see her paws from under my door trying to come out. If anyone has been in a similar situation or knows what i should do please please help. I can't have her anymore, but I want to know what the right thing to do is here

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello!
It's a little challenging because we don't know what the exact events were at the very beginning, however I'm thinking that your cat initially was frightened by another cat just at the moment your mom walked by.

Hopefully there is something in these articles that gives you and your mom some information to work with.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So you said there is no possibility she has rabies, so I assume that means she has has all her shots? Even indoor cats can get rabies if a rabid animal like a bat gets in the house (if it was a small bat the cat could have killed and eaten it without you even knowing).

My next thought would be possible brain tumor or infection, I would get the cat to the vet to get checked out. If this is completely new and sudden behavior something serious could be wrong.

Another thing I can think of that could cause a cat to attack is seeing or hearing something that scared or angered them, like a barking dog outside the window, another cat, etc and the aggression was redirected to the first thing that came inside. Then once the screaming and crying started that could farther scare the cat.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that your mom brought the scent of a cat or some other animal in with her and your cat became terrified. Unfortunately when this happens a cat can get fearful and aggressive to defend themselves against who they perceive to be a dangerous. It is unusual that she attacked so that both of you were hurt but sometimes your reactions although justified, rile the cat’s emotions up more.

I do think you should have her in for a vet check especially if she hasn’t been in for a while. Then you and your mom need to reintroduce yourselves to her slowly. This is more for your benefit than hers. More than likely she has calmed down and isn’t fearful anymore but the same can’t be said of you two. You might want to carry a pillow with you when you meet her so that if she should attack you have a buffer between you and her.

I would also suggest that in addition to washing the clothes she wore the day of the attack your mom should wipe down her shoes, including the soles with a strong cleaner so that you are sure the scent the frightened her is gone.

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having her fixed could also be quite important here. Sex hormones could really amplify any aggression she’s feeling from smelling other animals.
I’m so sorry this happened. Do get her to the vet for a full check up and a spay, and go from there.

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry about what happened to you both. I had my cat attack me when he was trying to mate with a female cat. There were 2 other males (I think) and they were growling and hissing. I thought my cat was going to be hurt, so I went to pick him up and bring him in the house. Well, he bit and scratched me. I got very ill with cat scratch fever. It was very traumatic because I had to have my mom soak, clean and wrap my arm up twice a day. So I’m hoping that you guys are keeping an eye on your wounds. If she’s in heat that makes her feel crazy, I’ve seen it. My thoughts are get her a check up and get her fixed.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Jeff attacked me one time in such a vicious way that I thought a mountain lion had jumped me.

I always let her out when she wanted to go (that was our pact together),. and for some reason I didn't that day. Instead, I just teased her about not letting her out. I had just come back from viewing a deserted house that had a murder committed in it 10 years back. I don't know if there was a strange smell on me, if she saw something, or if she was mad about not going out, but her face darkened and she grabbed my face with her claws and pulled it in to bite. I finally had to smack her nose -hard- to get her to loosen her grip. All of a sudden the dark shadow disappeared, she shook her head and looked at me in confusion, almost like she was coming out of a trance. She never did it again.

Who knows what animals smell, see, or even sense, that we can't.

I would give it more time and see if it happens again. I would not give up on her.

Last edited:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get her fixed ASAP. Can only help.

But I agree with everyone else - your mom probably picked up a strange smell, or it wafted in with the open door.

If any of your wounds are deep, especially bites, you need to go to the doctor and get antibiotics because cat bites (and sometimes really deep scratches, but bites are much worse) can get infected