Please Help: I Don't Know What Is Wrong With My Female Cat

LexieOliver

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats, a female tuxedo (3 years) and a male one (2 months) They are both spayed. My female cat has always been very anxious and would display aggressive play with me. We then got a another male cat. I did the most common integration method---having the new cat in a seperate room, letting them smell each other gradually etc. They have seperate eating places etc.

There was hissing and swiping everything that I expected in the beginning. It got better where they were lying on the bed together and even playing. I was very hopeful. Then all of a sudden her voice started to get very raspy and she was sensitive around her ears. (I took her to the vet and he said he couldn't see any irritation in her throat or anything in her ears. Got her medication for the raspyness in case it was snuffles. But she didn't have any other symptoms)
She then became very hostile towards the other cat, growling even when he wasn't near her. She started eating less and less. I can't pick her up anymore..she would just scream. I have had her at 3 vets and a feline behaviorist. Nothing physically wrong. I am at the point where I want to put her on feline anti depressants. Pros and cons? and have anyone ever experienced this?
Thanks.

Spookymoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Could it be worth trying to reintroduce them? I needed to do this with mine after the new addition went into heat and it all went wrong (rescue shelter told us she'd been sterilized so it was very confusing at the time!). It took another 2 attempts for it to work between them, doing the separation but also scent exchanging using a towel and brush plus feeding on either side of the door.

I've never tried any form of anti depressants, wasn't actually aware they existed! Good luck though, hope you find something that helps.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - regarding calming products, if feliway doesn't work for you (it has zero effect on my guy) you could also try some other products, including diffusers, treats and collars available that have numerous types of different ingredients such as L-Tryphophan and casein.
Composure is a product to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has one under their brand and Pet Naturals does as well, and Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course amazon and chewy.
--Even prescription if nothing else, --Gabapentin is good for travel, amitriptyline can help with general anxiety and OCD (such as excessive grooming).