Please help! Emergency Surgery needed Asap and it's Life or Death for my baby!!

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
By the way, I don't think the vets should charge you more for the second surgery since it was their fault they missed a bunch of stuff they should have gotten the first time.  If a car mechanic does something like that, he doesn't charge for fixing his own error, and doctors probably wouldnt either because they would be afraid of lawsuits.  Hopefully you can work out a reduced rate with your vets when this is all over with to cover the entire episode rather than breaking it down one little thing at a time like the initial bill shows.  There IS a discussion thread on here somewhere about vets changing to a "pay up front" policy when they used to allow you to run a tab especially when there's an emergency, and it's your regular vet.  Mine does, fortunately.  I always owe him money and pay him every month.  Most rescues are like that.  Our balance due is NEVER zero!  When all this is over, you might consider writing an article about what happens when cats get into string and thread, because even though we do have articles about how to kitten proof your home, people may not think to read them until AFTER the cat gets into something.  Keep us posted on his progress!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valerie todd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd post the one with his stitches but I'm not sure if it would offend people.

And I'll defiantly write something about keeping an eye on thread! No one should have go to through the scare we did for our kid. <3\

Thank you guys for all the support!!

jodiethierry64

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, in total the surgeries cost me about $1700 but luckly enough for me, the vet saw the gofundme project and agreed to pay as the project goes~ She was super sweet to work out a plan with us and let us know what we needed to do. Obviously if the project doesn't go anywhere we'll be paying for the most part but fact is she's allowing us to pay bit by bit.

The reason the gofundme is at 2000$ instead of 1700$ is because of the fee the site charges for doing this project, which is fair.

Update on my little man!

Sebby's home! After almost two full days of being at the Vet and going through a LONG and hard surgery he's out and recovering at home!

Thank you for everyone who's helped us so far!! He's acting like himself again! Eating, purring, and wanting nothing more then to play~ But he needs time to recover.

I'd post the one with his stitches but I'm not sure if it would offend people.

And I'll defiantly write something about keeping an eye on thread! No one should have go to through the scare we did for our kid.

Thank you guys for all the support!!
Awww poor baby! :( kisses and Hugs to you Sweetie!

Your other kids are just gorgeous!!!! Please keep us posted on his recovery.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The GoFundMe project is going well.  You have 70 donations and are at $1275!  Awesome.  That was so resourceful of you, and I'm glad your vet is willing to just take payments as the pledges come in.  I wish I had known about this a year ago when Grey Boy needed surgery.  Next time I get one of these unexpected expenses for rescues, I'll do it too.

valerie todd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

The GoFundMe project is going well.  You have 70 donations and are at $1275!  Awesome.  That was so resourceful of you, and I'm glad your vet is willing to just take payments as the pledges come in.  I wish I had known about this a year ago when Grey Boy needed surgery.  Next time I get one of these unexpected expenses for rescues, I'll do it too.
Honestly I didn't even know if it would work, but I wanted to do what I could to save him. I'd say give it a shot! It's a lot of posting and sharing it and spreading the word but it goes quick!!

Mhm! I'm so happy people helped me save my boy~

jodiethierry64

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, I never heard of them until recently. This is a great organization. You shouldn't have to be put in a situation where euthanasia is your only option for a life that can be saved. To people like us these are our children.

valerie todd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm furious right now!! Spread the word that this Campaign is NOT for Sebby! I don't even know this person and they took my Gofundme and copy and pasted it to get money from people!! I'm calling the website right now and getting this fixed! This is a scam!!

http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fundraiser/help-funding-sebby-s-surgery/168469

Now I know why you were guys were so concerned and asked for proof! Because of people like this!! I'm so enraged they're using my baby to scam people out of money!!

Sorry for having doubted you guys about people like this!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've shared on Facebook.
Scumbags! It's amazing how low some people will stoop.
Good luck with Sebby. :vibes:

jodiethierry64

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm furious right now!! Spread the word that this Campaign is NOT for Sebby! I don't even know this person and they took my Gofundme and copy and pasted it to get money from people!! I'm calling the website right now and getting this fixed! This is a scam!!

Now I know why you were guys were so concerned and asked for proof! Because of people like this!! I'm so enraged they're using my baby to scam people out of money!!

How did they steal the money for YOUR baby? I'm so sorry!!!

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Oh MY. I was one of the people who initially asked you for 'proof' but not even I have ever seen something like this- plagiarizing a real campaign. I hope you will be able to get it sorted out.  This makes me feel just awful. 

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As soon as I saw your notice in a GoFundMe update this morning, I contacted the YouCaring site myself -- I'm sure you contacted them first, but the more reports they get about a fraudulent posting, the faster they will shut it down.  They had it deactivated within 15 minutes of my contacting them, which may be coincidence or maybe a LOT of us contacted them today -- it now says "This fundraiser is not active,"  and all your pictures and information that were there the first time I went to the site are no longer showing.  Since you gave us at TCS the link to your original fundraiser, I doubt if anyone from this site donated to the fraudulent one, but you can see how easy it was for this person (who gives the name Mohd Imran) to copy every last thing you had posted to make your ad legitimate and get people to donate.  Since that site accepts mainly PayPal donations, they can probably work with PayPal and get the money charged back to the donating parties -- PayPal has a lot of safeguards in place.  I would suggest you also contact GoFundMe and suggest they install something that blocks people from copyiing their ads as well.  I know some of the photography sites have this, so people can't just copy the pictures.  I'm sorry this happened but at least it was caught quickly.  Just out of curiousity, I did a quick Facebook searchfor the name Mohd Imran, and many of them came up.  I clicked on the first one and it was really unsettling -- there is nothing on it but two pictures, one of a dark complexioned young male wearing dark glasses and another of a blonde girl holding a gun to her head.  It gave me the creeps.  Anyhow I hope Sebby continues to do well and perhaps your feedback to GoFundMe will make them improve the site's security and prevent this from happening to someone else. 

Last edited:

valerie todd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mhm! I'm so angry with this! I know that I contacted them, their email and FACEBOOK page to get him off. Many of my friends did the same. (They love sebby as much as I do.) Everyone was spamming his comments to get him to stop it and stop people from donating him.

I really appreciate all the care you guys put in to help me protect Sebby from being apart of some fraud! I already reported the last one to the RCMP as a scam/Fraud.

I cant' believe that he's at it AGAIN!

http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fundraiser/emergency-surgery-for-my-cat-sebby-/170751

He mad a completely NEW one and posted it up! Will it not end!? I'm contacting go fund me.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I did as well.  How appalling! 

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree that this is absolutely appalling. It's bad enough that it happened once but TWICE by the same person is just ridiculous. I know others have filed complaints but I wanted to let you know that I took the time to as well. I even included my lawyer initials to give it a little more punch.
 Here is what I said: 

Hello, 

I am writing to file a complaint about the above fundraiser. I know I am not the only person who has complained, but this is the SECOND time that this individual has copied another users page verbatim in an attempt to pass it off as their own. 

I can understand how these things occasionally happen, but the fact that it has happened twice to the same person by the same fraudulent user is absolutely appalling. While individuals do need to be accountable and do research to ensure that the cause they are donating to is legitimate, the site also needs to take some accountability in preventing this from being a recurrent problem. This fraudulent user, Mohd Imran, needs to be banned from accessing the YouCaring site, and any donations that were made to the fake page need to be transferred to the proper one or, refunded to the donors. 

I am hopeful and optimistic that the staff at YouCaring will take this situation seriously and do whatever necessary to rectify it and ensure that it doesn't happen again. There are many of us watching to see how this is handled and who will have no problem banding together to spread the word that YouCaring does, in fact, not care about it's users should swift and appropriate action not be taken. One bad review can destroy an online business so I would hate to think of the effect that dozens of negative reviews will have. 

Please, put your money where your mouth is and do what is right by ensuring that this individual cannot copy legitimate pleas in the future, and instill new precautionary measures to prevent it from happening to others. It is my sincerest hope that the staff of YouCaring really does care as much as they claim to. 

Sincerely, 

XXX XXX , J.D. 

Hopefully if enough of us complain it will force them to not only fix this situation once and for all but to adapt new policies to prevent it from happening in the future. It just disgusts me what some people will do for a few bucks. I also saw in the comments section that a lot of people had posted that this was a fradulatent page but that doesn't mean people are seeing those comments before they donate. I wish there was a way to make it so they had to see them first to prevent them from wasting their money! The site really needs to put more preventative measures in place ASAP.

If you get a reply from the site please let us know what they say. I do hope that this is a learning experience for them. And, as soon as you get enough to cover Sebby's bills I would take your ad down!

Keep us posted! 

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I really appreciate all the care you guys put in to help me protect Sebby from being apart of some fraud! I already reported the last one to the RCMP as a scam/Fraud.
Sorry if this is a stupid question but who is the RCMP? 

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Ha ha, it's fine.

Royal Canadian Mounted Police
Okay that's what I thought it stood for. I guess this might be another stupid question but why did you file with them? Do you live in Canada? Or does the fraudulent poster? Or is that where youcaring is based out of? I know very little about Canadian laws but my legal intuition is that they would be able to do very little unless you were all located there, and even then I don't know that there would be much that they could do since you haven't technically suffered any harm (at least not that I can think of yet). Did you just file a report so they would be aware or are you hoping to get some kind of recourse out of it? I suppose it doesn't really matter I was just curious. 

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She DOES live in Canada, @EB24.  The fraudulent poster probably lives in the US but who knows?  MOHD IMRAN could be a fake name too.  There's a really odd facebook page that comes up as the first result when I search that name, and there are a whole bunch of people by that name too.  The fraud has been reported to both companies.  The one with the pirated ad shut down the first one and then the next day the same person started a NEW one with the same info!  I reported that one as well, but they have not yet inactivated it.  There have been no more donations since yesterday (the second one has $49 in it so far.)  I reported it again today via direct email rather than their online form.  The GoFundMe site, which was her original site, has responded there is nothing they can do, but they ARE looking into some software that can block at least the stealing of pictures.  Don't hold your breath, however.  This is the perfect example of the dangers of posting pleas for help. which is why we warn everyone to be very careful.  Even if the original ad is legitimate and payments are safe, there is always the danger of some low life stealing the ad and using it for their own purposes on another site, as happened here.