PLEASE HELP! Cat urine smells like mildew

LivyRoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats urine has a strong smell that smells like mildew. I never noticed any urine odor from her before. She’s had a normal urinalysis twice (no bacteria, no crystals, no nothing). The only thing the vet said was that she saw some yeast around her vaginal area and gave me a gentamicin/betamethasone spray. I was confused why she would give me an antibacterial spray and not an antifungal spray. When I asked her about it she said it contained an antifungal, I said it doesn’t, it just contains an antibacterial and steroid (I made sure to check ingredients label). She said she has had good results with using it for cats with the same issues. She also changed her food to prescription diet c/d and suggested I give her a probiotic. It’s been over a week and the smell hasn’t gotten better.
The only thing i can remember doing when this smell started is that I changed her litter and gave her a zesty paws hairball bites supplement. The smell started a few weeks, possibly a month after I did both of those things. I’ve sinced changed her litter back and she finished the supplement weeks ago. I don’t know what else to do. I’ve spent so much money at the vet and they aren’t able to tell me anything. The vet recommended I give her a sanitary shave also but I don’t see how that would help when it’s her pee that smells that way. I bought some hydrophobic litter, and waited til she peed and collected the sample and it smelled like mildew, the entire bathroom smelled like mildew after she peed. She has no other symptoms. She plays and eats fine. Idk what else to do other than take her to a different vet and get another urinalysis done. Has anyone seen or dealt with something like this before?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
What are the ingredients in that hairball supplement? I can't imagine it's the cause this much time later ... ?

If you collect some of that yeasty material, does it have an odor?

Just because of the discussion you described with the vet about the benefits of that spray, I would find another vet in a different clinic if possible.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't think you have much of a choice than to have another urinalysis done, since you are saying your cat's pee actually smells off.
However, I'd be curious if you actually were able to get copies of the urinalysis results so you can take a look at them yourself.

It just seems odd that the vet acknowledged some sort of yeast build up around your cat's vagina but the urinalysis showed no bacteria. I think it would be almost impossible for a female cat to pee and not have the urine exposed to any sort of bacteria in the general area.

Astragal14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like your cat has not taken an oral antibiotic, is that correct? The two times I smelled a change in urine ended up being a UTI and we successfully treated it with a mild oral antibiotic. I agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom that you may want to find a new veterinary clinic. (and be sure to use a probiotic if giving an antibiotic, we have lots of recommendations if you are interested)

Another thing to consider is whether or not an increase in outside temps and humidity is having an effect as well. Our litter boxes are in the bathroom and the whole room smells noticeably more musty in the warmer months. We use a Damp Rid container to dehumidify the room and it completely fixes the problem.
Amazon.com

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LivyRoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
What are the ingredients in that hairball supplement? I can't imagine it's the cause this much time later ... ?

Just because of the discussion you described with the vet about the benefits of that spray, I would find another vet in a different clinic if possible.
here’s the ingredients list:
Fish Oil (AlaskOmega®), Total Omega 3 Fatty Acids, Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA), Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA), Microcrystalline Cellulose, Psyllium, Slippery Elm, Proprietary Immune and Skin Function Blend (Zinc [as Gluconate], Biotin), Cane Molasses, Citric Acid (a preservative), Coconut Glycerin, Dried Cheese, Dried Potato Product, Natural Bacon Flavor, Natural Flavor (from Oregano, Flaxseed and Plum), Palm Oil, Pork Liver, Sunflower Lecithin.

I honestly do not see any yeasty material. Her vaginal area sometimes just has brown stains on the fur which I attribute to pee stains. Sometimes they disappear once she cleans herself.

I’m definitely going to use another vet. This isn’t the first time I’ve questioned them.

LivyRoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think you have much of a choice than to have another urinalysis done, since you are saying your cat's pee actually smells off.
However, I'd be curious if you actually were able to get copies of the urinalysis results so you can take a look at them yourself.

It just seems odd that the vet acknowledged some sort of yeast build up around your cat's vagina but the urinalysis showed no bacteria. I think it would be almost impossible for a female cat to pee and not have the urine exposed to any sort of bacteria in the general area.
Here are the results of her most recent urinalysis
5E8BEE3A-75F5-4320-A41F-DF9DEA2CBE71.jpeg

LivyRoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like your cat has not taken an oral antibiotic, is that correct? The two times I smelled a change in urine ended up being a UTI and we successfully treated it with a mild oral antibiotic. I agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom that you may want to find a new veterinary clinic. (and be sure to use a probiotic if giving an antibiotic, we have lots of recommendations if you are interested)

Another thing to consider is whether or not an increase in outside temps and humidity is having an effect as well. Our litter boxes are in the bathroom and the whole room smells noticeably more musty in the warmer months. We use a Damp Rid container to dehumidify the room and it completely fixes the problem.
Amazon.com
She’s had an antibiotic twice before for presumed uti, meaning the vet didn’t do a urinalysis they just gave her antibiotics because she had symptoms. At that time she was leaving pee spots on my sheets and the antibiotic stopped it. But now it’s just the random mildew odor. She has no other symptoms. No pee droplets or nothing.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Her vaginal area sometimes just has brown stains on the fur which I attribute to pee stains. Sometimes they disappear once she cleans herself.
That could actually be anal gland secretions, but as I understand it, they would smell a whole lot worse than mildew - or, maybe not. I have heard some folks describe both as a musty smell. Perhaps, there is something going on with her anal glands, or she is secreting them while peeing (vs. just when pooping).

Since her urinalysis came out fine, then I wonder if there is something hormonal going on that would not be picked up in that testing. Did she have blood work done (CBC, Chemistry panel, thyroid)?

Have you had another person smell her pee to see if they would also describe as a mildew-like smell? That may sound like a weird request to make, but probably wouldn't be viewed that way by another cat lover. It is worth it just to see if their description would match yours - maybe help to shed some light on the matter?

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's quite the hairball supplement, but (I'm not a nutritionist) I don't see anything by itself that would cause such issues, but maybe in combination.

Perhaps, there is something going on with her anal glands, or she is secreting them while peeing (vs. just when pooping).
I was wondering this too .

LivyRoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That could actually be anal gland secretions, but as I understand it, they would smell a whole lot worse than mildew - or, maybe not. I have heard some folks describe both as a musty smell. Perhaps, there is something going on with her anal glands, or she is secreting them while peeing (vs. just when pooping).

Since her urinalysis came out fine, then I wonder if there is something hormonal going on that would not be picked up in that testing. Did she have blood work done (CBC, Chemistry panel, thyroid)?

Have you had another person smell her pee to see if they would also describe as a mildew-like smell? That may sound like a weird request to make, but probably wouldn't be viewed that way by another cat lover. It is worth it just to see if their description would match yours - maybe help to shed some light on the matter?
She hasn’t had other blood work done. I did ask my mom to walk in the bathroom after she peed in the hydrophobic litter and she agreed the bathroom smelled like mildew. If pee gets on her fur when she uses the litter box (she’s longhair) her fur will smell like mildew. I gave her a mini sanitary trim and I’m taking her to a different vet tomorrow morning. I also wondered if she could possibly have a fungal uti instead of bacterial but I read those are rare in cats, I’m not sure if that would be picked up on the urinalysis. The new vet told me I can drop her off early tomorrow morning so they can get a urine sample. I’m going to tell them to do a cbc, chem panel, urinalysis and culture and to check her anal glands and vaginal area.

rentuna

Luke the warrior
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi

I up this.
Please change vets!

I had a very hard and difficult time with I dont even want to tell you how much energy and money thrown out the windows ,and when I finally found someone who really was able to diagnose right and give the right treatment it was too late.
It is important, so so important to get to a vet who knows what they do before it's too late.. I believe if it's left untreated it can be damaging and cause serious issues.
Not always the fancy vets and fancy vet clinics are the rigth choice unfortunately:( I hope you will be able to find a good vet and treat your cat and that she gets well!!!! I wish you luck !:vibes:

LivyRoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: No UTI. No growth on any of the cultures. No stones on X-ray. Vet expressed anal glands recommended Glandex, she said they were half full. All lab work normal except she was a little dehydrated and glucose was slightly elevated. Vet thinks glucose might’ve been elevated because she was stressed but will keep monitoring it at her annuals. New vet was also stumped as well on the smell lol. Since I’ve added in some wet food to her diet and trimmed the fur on her backside, I haven’t noticed the smell. I’m thinking her urine was just concentrated from being dehydrated. When I first noticed the smell, I did notice she wasn’t drinking as much water as before. I’m also thinking I may not have rinsed her fountain out good enough when I cleaned it which caused her to not drink from it as often because of the taste. I’ve been keeping the fountain as clean as possible and added some more water bowls down in random places to encourage her to drink more. I’m also going to try the Glandex in case her anal glands were the problem. If the smell comes back and her anal glands are full, then I’d know for sure. I thank everyone for the great advice and although I spent a pretty penny, I’m just happy that there were no major issues and my mind can rest now.