Please Help! Can fixed cats still... uh, ejaculate?

jb68711

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure it's not possible... but I got my cat fixed a few months ago. And when I woke up this morning, I started to make my bed and noticed there was this wet spot over toward the foot of the bed. At first I thought it was pee, which my cat never pees on my bed... but then I smelled it, and it didn't smell like pee, but smelled kind of like the other stuff. Is this even possible? I've never even had this problem before he was fixed. Please help.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well they can still get erect, and neutered male cats have been know to umm, masturbate with sheets, stuffed toys, couches etc...so I would say yes.

From some quick googling it sounds like the 'fluid' might reduce in quantity as he ages.

How much fluid did you find? I wouldn't think even an intact cat would produce very much. Are you sure it wasn't drool or spit or something??

Here's one from http://www.vetinfo4cats.com/cmale.html#Masturbation

Q: I have a 5 year old neutered domestic longhair and he has recently taken to acting sexual with the blankets in the house. I had him neutered at 6 months of age, so I can't understand why this behavior would be popping up. No pun intended. He can get rather annoyed when we try to interrupt him, but when observed it must be stopped. I have on occasion turned him over to inspect his penis and just as expected it is erect and there is some discharge. I would love to hear your thoughts on this problem. Sincerely, Kandy

A: Kandy- Masturbation is a difficult problem to deal with in cats. It is a normal behavior and it is probably pleasurable. This combination makes it hard to discourage. It is not really unusual for neutered cats to learn to masturbate and it may be possible for them to produce some fluid.

In a few cats, this can become (or possibly starts out as) an obsessive/compulsive disorder. If this is a really persistent problem rather than an occasional one, it would be a good idea to ask your vet if there is a behaviorist in your area who you can work with to help resolve the problem. In this case medications for obsessive/compulsive disorders may be helpful. As far as I know, these are the only cats in which medication is likely to help.

I wish I had some sort of easy advise to follow for this problem, but I don't.

Mike Richards, DVM

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jb68711

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply... but I don't understand, because if a cat is neutered, that mean he doesn't have balls. And if he doesn't have balls, how does he produce anything... or even have a sex drive at all? Isn't the whole purpose of getting neutered to eliminate these things?

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A neutered cat can't produce sperm or testosterone, since he doesn't have any testicles. They do still have a prostate, which I believe is where the majority of the fluid comes from.

He doesn't necessarily have a sex 'drive' per se, but all that had to happen was for him to accidentally find out that a particular activity felt good and then he's likely to do it again.

From http://www.jackinworld.com/library/science/semprod.html

The prostate is a donut-shaped organ under the bladder; it surrounds the prostatic urethra and secretes an alkaline (basic) fluid that accounts for up to a third of the non-sperm portion of semen.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JB68711

Thanks for the reply... but I don't understand, because if a cat is neutered, that mean he doesn't have balls. And if he doesn't have balls, how does he produce anything... or even have a sex drive at all? Isn't the whole purpose of getting neutered to eliminate these things?
Shouldn't have drive or sign of "sack in the back". I have heard of a few incomplete fixes before, unfortunately to many times!