Please help! Bleeding cat 3 days after delivery

pinkflamingo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok so the stray i found that had her kittens monday night is acting all clingy and vocal just like she was before she gave birth monday. I just noticed a VERY small amount of blood back there and I'm really worried. I'm going to try and take her to this very low cost vet, but i dont know if i can. Does anyone know whats going on?!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Contacting the vet is what the doctor recommends here. You CAN begin by phone call if he answers telephone calls - but whatever you do - do it asap now.

Why are you not sure if you can take her? do you not afford even this low cost vet, or do you have difficulty with transport?? As you write clingy I presume she isnt aggressive nor very shy.

How is this blood looking? If it is watery, very diluted, it may be normal - "coloured water" some days afterwards is common.
But real blood is no good - conctact with wet necessary.

Good luck!

carlysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine bled and spotted for over a week after her delivery. I think it's normal unless it's just pouring out.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ah, by the way. Look also out for the body temperature. Many complications involving bleeding / bloody discharges, or not, are also connected with fever.

Cats have somewhat higher temp then humans. About 38,5 C degrees, if I remember correctly. In Fahrenheit it is I think 100-101. Shall not be more.
Everything above 38,5 C or 101 F is thus higher than normal.

It will also be among the first questions the vet asks.

Try to at least phone the vet. You can probably phone also some other vet than this low cost. Anyone who you know answers and gives telephone advices.

Many animal hospitals do it. At least, in Sweden...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pinkflamingo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is doin good, the bleeding stoped. It was only a few drops. She is not aggresive or shy and increadably friendly kitty. I can't understand why anyone would just dump her. She is the sweetest cat ive ever had the pleasure of caring for.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PinkFlamingo

Ok so the stray i found that had her kittens monday night is acting all clingy and vocal just like she was before she gave birth monday. I just noticed a VERY small amount of blood back there and I'm really worried. I'm going to try and take her to this very low cost vet, but i dont know if i can. Does anyone know whats going on?!
Have you felt her stomach? Could it be that there are still kittens in there? I've heard (and seen) that happen.. If she gets lethargic at all, take her to the ER. There could be something left inside which can cause an infection.

pinkflamingo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by NorthernGlow

Have you felt her stomach? Could it be that there are still kittens in there? I've heard (and seen) that happen.. If she gets lethargic at all, take her to the ER. There could be something left inside which can cause an infection.
I felt her stomach and didn't feel anything. She still has a small round belly, which doens't fit her thin body. She isn't as clingy as she was this morning, and she doesn't eat nearly as much as everyone says she should. Then again ive only had her 4 days and she hasn't eaten much this whole time. She wont eat wet food and has only eatin the kitten milk once. She will eat dry food but maybe only a cup and a half a day. Could that be because she was a stray and her stomach was so underfed it just can't hold a lot?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A cup and a half of food a day sounds pretty good, though I don't know what's normal for nursing mothers. I know a half-cup of kibble a day is normal for an adult house cat, so a cup and a half sounds like a lot.

She probably has worms, of course, and if she is undernourished, her belly will look odd, stretched out after carrying those babies all those weeks.

This little mother Chose well when she Chose you. She was very likely dumped because she was pregnant-again. This may not be her first litter, which would also explain the pot belly.

Are you keeping her?

cslenker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My vet told me that it is normal for them to bleed a little for a couple weeks after delivery. If it is alot of blood then it's not normal and she needs to be seen ASAP. A check-up after delivery is needed. I did wait a week after before I took Baby Girl in to see the vet.

pinkflamingo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

A cup and a half of food a day sounds pretty good, though I don't know what's normal for nursing mothers. I know a half-cup of kibble a day is normal for an adult house cat, so a cup and a half sounds like a lot.

She probably has worms, of course, and if she is undernourished, her belly will look odd, stretched out after carrying those babies all those weeks.

This little mother Chose well when she Chose you. She was very likely dumped because she was pregnant-again. This may not be her first litter, which would also explain the pot belly.

Are you keeping her?
I really want to keep her but so we i'm not sure yet. I may let our friend take her (her cat is 20 yrs old and she LOVES Kiwi -the mama- and keep the twisted limb kitten -Mango- since she may be harder to home if she doesn't outgrow her deformity. But at this point i would love to keep them all, and my son is very attached to Kiwi - the mama so we will see. (Her and the kittens all have fruit names lol)

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PinkFlamingo

I really want to keep her but so we i'm not sure yet. I may let our friend take her (her cat is 20 yrs old and she LOVES Kiwi -the mama- and keep the twisted limb kitten -Mango- since she may be harder to home if she doesn't outgrow her deformity. But at this point i would love to keep them all, and my son is very attached to Kiwi - the mama so we will see. (Her and the kittens all have fruit names lol)
It's so nice to hear that little Mango will be able to stay with you since you'll know everything about her as she grows.

Zoe bled after her delivery, and I had a freak-out too, but it stopped, and they're all fine now!