Please help. Anyone in the US involved with TICA?

fostersrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is a very questionable breeder I need some help with. She needs guidance or to have her cattery license revoked. She’s allowing her queens to breed with ferals and strays. Has had two queens give birth to 3 litters in a year. One was within an 8 month timespan with the first litter being when she was 9 months old. She’s pooping them out left and right and has done 0 testing. She believes that outcrossing and experimental breedings are enough. Right now she has them as an experimental new breed. Please message me and I can give more info. I have plenty of pictures. Photo is of her response to me after she tried to tell me it’s impossible for a cat to give birth 3 times in one year, followed by me showing her screenshots of her announcing said births and their dates.

Attachments

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
She sounds like a scam artist and one who needs to be reported. What in the world is she selling them as- what breed? I am not an expert, but three times a year seems excessive.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is TICA's contact page:
You could call them, tell them you have concerns about a breeder, and ask who would be the right person or committee to contact for help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fostersrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She sounds like a scam artist and one who needs to be reported. What in the world is she selling them as- what breed? I am not an expert, but three times a year seems excessive.
She says they sparkle and claims that every single kitten produced by her cats has this amazing sparkle.They were originally called Courtney Cats but are now American Satin Cats.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a back yard breeder scam. I am not familiar with TICA but in CFA I don't believe they could not legally stop her. She could lose the right to sell registered kittens (but if it is a un recognized cross, they couldn't be registered anyway) or she could lose the right to show the registered cats. CFA and TICA (I believe) are a registries to track pedigrees, not a governing body of the fancy. The grasp she has of genetics is awful and she is abusive to over breed. If her cattery is registered with TICA I would lodge a complaint, but not expect anything to come of it.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
She says they sparkle and claims that every single kitten produced by her cats has this amazing sparkle.They were originally called Courtney Cats but are now American Satin Cats.

They "sparkle"?? I have never known a cat who sparkles- sounds like she could do with a little medical intervention herself. I would back off from this one.....slowly.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

fostersrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Where there you have it, everything's on the up and up.
I was really disappointed with the messy beast for not doing their homework on this one. Even the info in the article has changed from when Jamie (the breeder) first sent it to her. The standard is now different than whats written on the messy beast.

fostersrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't say exactly that... I don't know anything about the details of the "American Satin" breeding program!
But it's quite believable that "satin" mutations would exist in the cat, as such mutations are well known in other species.
Satin rabbits: American Satin Rabbit Breeders - Home
Satin rats: AFRMA - Satin Rats
Satin mice: AFRMA Fancy Mice - Varieties
Unfortunately, there are no details about the breeding program. She allows her cats outside to breed and sells to people who also allow them outside to breed. Her line breeding is questionable, as well. The whole thing is just a mess. She’s been at it for almost 6 years and has yet to get any confirmation that this mutation is unique or do any testing besides random “experiments” between pairing cats.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was really disappointed with the messy beast for not doing their homework on this one. Even the info in the article has changed from when Jamie (the breeder) first sent it to her. The standard is now different than whats written on the messy beast.
You can write to Sarah Hartwell if you feel the messybeast page doesn't reflect reality. Just be aware she does receive lots and lots of email, since she has so much information on her site.