PLEASE HELP! American curl with strange new environment behavior!

Kimmimcd77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We acquired a new kitty, meant to be a service/comfort animal for our 4 year old with autism, he is a young adult and I don't think that the previous owners realized (as I've found from googling) that he is an American Curl and quite rare! From what I read, they are intelligent, VERY loving, and easy to transition into a new environment. This baby IS incredibly affectionate but he is SO skittish. It may be that we have a very old, small breed dog that gave a hell raising when he was first introduced...but this kitty will not come out of my son's room and mostly is hiding under beds when he is in there. When he feels safe, he will come out and love on us heavy and explore (within the room he won't leave). It's only been two days, but I'm worried because I've read that this breed can have separation anxiety AND over the years I've experienced a ton of cats being introduced to a new home without ever noticing such severe, initial skittishness. I don't want to break his sweet heart! He is eating, drinking, and using the litter box...I want to introduce him to the rest of the house and feel comfortable. I've tried to gently bring him out of the room a couple of times...he seemed calm but stressed and intensely listening/looking around before running back upstairs and under a bed. He IS very calm and patient with my young child(in said room), who is quite excited and bouncing around him. He doesn't even flinch! Just any other foreign noises(downstairs noises, mostly)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kimmimcd77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any ideas to help my anxiety of him being sad to be here?

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
At two days in your house, this is normal, especially with a scary dog in the house. Does he have the ability to explore the house at night, with the dog locked away and everyone asleep? Most cats will explore then at their own pace and feel more comfortable with time. Do you know if he had been around dogs before? Have you looked into ways to safely integrate dogs and cats? It can take quite a while and some will never get along, I had a cat that forever hated my dogs.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, completely normal. Cats can hide after being moved to a new environment for weeks. It takes time for them to get used to a new home. He most likely isn't used to dogs, but small dogs are usually accepted quicker. Having a dog may delay things. Just give him space, don't force him into leaving the room, let him explore on his own terms. It may take several weeks, but he WILL come around!

Kimmimcd77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the replies! I believe that at least recently, he hasn't been around dogs only other cats. We do have a bunch of baby gates and have set up our pup downstairs in his own little area at night while the new kitty is baby gated in the upstairs with us. Last night I noticed that he was up and about the upstairs, checking things out! I'm probably just worrying too much! Postal, your Curl kitty is adorable, by the way!!

Attachments

Kimmimcd77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh! Maybe your kitty is a Bengal? He looked curled but now I see it's just the way he's holding his ears!! Lol!! Gorgeous baby!!!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
TCS has some articles that will help:

I'm not sure if your cat is an American Curl. Here's info on the breed and characteristics: American Curl – The Cat Fanciers' Association, Inc Your cat looks more like a domestic shorthair but just as adorable and lovable as a purebred :catrub:

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh! Maybe your kitty is a Bengal? He looked curled but now I see it's just the way he's holding his ears!! Lol!! Gorgeous baby!!!
She's a Highlander actually and thanks! She gets mighty ticked off with new animals but adjusts fasts and is very dog friendly if they are, hopefully your new kitty will end up as animal social once he settles in a bit.