Please Help! All 6 Cats Suddenly Sick

MuntyFresh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Up until last Friday I had 5 kitties at home. My brother gave me a 3 month old kitten (that he bred and cared for) last Friday, taking the count to 6.

The kitten was secluded for a few days until he was introduced to the other cats. Everyone playful and active. Nothing out of norm.

On Wednesday, we came home and noticed that someone had an upset tummy from looking in the litter box. That night, I was able to catch one of my older cats in there as he was going and figured he was the culprit.

Yesterday, my kitten started vomiting at around 9pm and also had diarrhea.

Today, all of my cats have diarrhea.

I took the kitten to the vet, since he’s the youngest, and was given Panacur, Probiotics, Hills I/D, & he received fluids. We also dropped off a stool sample though we don’t know exactly whose it might be.

The probiotics and Hills are meant for all the cats which we gave them at 4pm today (their usual lunchtime)

Now, one of my other cats after going to use the litter box came out and threw up. This is the first time any other cats aside from the kitten has thrown up. Maybe it’s the different food and probiotics?

I’ll get fecal results on Monday but am really just looking for some suggestions and/or guidance based off personal experience or insight.

All my cats are indoors. No changes to their diets. The kitten was fed raw and wet food but since coming home with me is only eating wet food and dry. What could this be?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like something contagious, but only the vet can say what. The first thought that springs to my mind is worms, but I don't know enough to evaluate that possibility.

Let's hope the stool sample provides some answers. :crossfingers:

Please keep us informed. We worry.

Margret

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like something contagious, but only the vet can say what. The first thought that springs to my mind is worms, but I don't know enough to evaluate that possibility.

Margret
:yeah:

Hopefully your vet has answers and you get everyone on the road to recovery soon

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The new kitten may have something like coccidia, protozoa that live in the intestine and are easily spread to other cats in the household through fecal matter (shared litter boxes, mutual grooming). Symptoms of coccidiosis include watery diarrhea, vomiting, and loss of appetite, so that's one of the things your vet is testing for.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MuntyFresh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The new kitten may have something like coccidia, protozoa that live in the intestine and are easily spread to other cats in the household through fecal matter (shared litter boxes, mutual grooming). Symptoms of coccidiosis include watery diarrhea, vomiting, and loss of appetite, so that's one of the things your vet is testing for.
We’re fortunate that so far all these little guys have still maintained their appetite. The kitten was the only one that didn’t want to eat last night but has since eaten his I/D lunch after his vet appointment. We requested panacur for all the cats just to start with something but unfortunately the vet was unable to fulfill that request. I just worry that the other fellas will suffer from dehydration and it kills me that I wasn’t able to take all of them in to be seen.

MuntyFresh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Margret
I most definitely will, Margret. Thank you

dan32

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just had three of my guys sick with vomiting and D---. We got metronidazole, which I guess is similar to Panacur - an anti-parasite med. It has taken a few weeks for the stools to firm up.

My post here: S.o.s. All Three Cats Sick

I remember bringing the cutest kitten into my mix years ago who was sneezing somewhat. After a week's quarantine, I merged him into the household with my other cats (17 and 3). Oh boy, that was weeks and weeks of the cat flu and everybody almost died.

I sympathize with you trying to dose six cats!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried adding unflavored pedialyte to their water? Also, I would try to get them to drink more liquids, perhaps dilute their wet food with homemade chicken broth (no garlic or onion) or offer tuna water. You could ask your vet if s/he thinks that adding some slippery elm or marshmallow root or red raspberry to the canned food would be okay. Those herbs are soothing to the digestive and urinary tracts.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
See if your vet will at least give you a needless syringe big enough to 'force feed' or push some liquid down them. Just in case you need it and he's closed.

MuntyFresh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just had three of my guys sick with vomiting and D---. We got metronidazole, which I guess is similar to Panacur - an anti-parasite med. It has taken a few weeks for the stools to firm up.

My post here: S.o.s. All Three Cats Sick

I remember bringing the cutest kitten into my mix years ago who was sneezing somewhat. After a week's quarantine, I merged him into the household with my other cats (17 and 3). Oh boy, that was weeks and weeks of the cat flu and everybody almost died.

I sympathize with you trying to dose six cats!
Dan! What a coincidence. Before I checked back on this thread, I had just finished reading yours. As I was reading, it was Deja Vu with my experience these past few days. I’m happy to report that we’re seeing some firm poops now. I just have to catch the fellas in action to know who it is. All of them are active and moving about. I think I’m going to check the dry food bag since it’s the one common factor between all of them. Tomorrow all get my stool sample results. Hoping to have more answers then.

MuntyFresh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried adding unflavored pedialyte to their water? Also, I would try to get them to drink more liquids, perhaps dilute their wet food with homemade chicken broth (no garlic or onion) or offer tuna water. You could ask your vet if s/he thinks that adding some slippery elm or marshmallow root or red raspberry to the canned food would be okay. Those herbs are soothing to the digestive and urinary tracts.
These are great suggestions! I’ll definitely look into it. Any place you recommend for unflavored pedialyte?
I’ve never really had to look for it before.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something else you can use is KMR (Kitten Milk Replacer). Before you ask, yes, it's perfectly safe for adult cats, just as baby formula is perfectly safe for adult humans.

For all cats, KMR should qualify as a comfort food. And since it's basically liquid it should hydrate them as well, and even a little bit of KMR will supply quite a lot of calories. If you can't find it easily, there are several recipes for homemade KMR available online (I'm pretty sure there are also some recipes for homemade Pedialyte online as well). You don't want to give KMR to adult cats on a regular basis because it's so high in calories, but it's a good emergency food for sick kitties.

Margret

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most chain grocery stores and pharmacies offer unflavored pedialyte (store brands seem to work well, too). You can also use the recipe found on TCS member Hissy's webpage: www.kitten-rescue.com. (If you can, please read her 'Feral Cats' blog - Hissy is an amazing person who could really use the moral support of her TCS family these days).

MuntyFresh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Stool sample came back negative for parasites.

All of the cats still have their usual appetite. So that brings me joy. The probiotic also seems to be helping since our fellas no longer have liquidy stools and instead they appear to be firming up.

The kitten however is being very picky. Nothing more than a couple licks of wet food/baby food. At one point I had a mini buffet laid out for him last night. He ate 1/4 cup of ID dry throughout the night and into the morning.

He peed this morning but hasn’t pooped since Saturday night.

I’ve got him back to his room so that I can monitor him a little more closely.

Follow up appointment at the vet is this evening.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder whether the kitten was weened a bit too early; you may want to try him on KMR (Kitten Milk Replacer) for a bit. Available at any large pet supply store, and there are several recipes for homemade KMR online.

Even better, if you can get it, might be raw goat milk; that may help jazz up his immune system a bit, too.

Margret

MuntyFresh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to check back in. We paid for a Diarrhea Panel that would look very specific bacteria/virus’.

They informed us that in his poop they saw the Enteric Corona Virus. Explains why his digestive system was acting up. It’s always scary to hear corona virus but I also understand all cats are exposed to it with some cats experiencing the FIP mutation. We unfortunately lost a cat in our family to that almost 2 years ago.

We began giving our older cats Fortiflora which has helped with their stools. They’re now solid. Our little guy though jumps between “soft serve” and “mushy.”

He won’t eat wet food so we haven’t been able to give him any Fortiflora. He’ll only eat his dry food. Energy levels are good. Still very playful and active but I just can’t figure out how else to help him.

Today his tummy was upset and after he went to the bathroom he threw up bile a few minutes after.

The last time he he’s up was at midnight on Monday. It just goes back and forth and i just want to help him.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you found out what it is you're working with/against.

Does he like any 'wet' treats like tuna? you could put the Fortiflora on or stirred into a teaspoon of that. If you get it, don't get the expensive white albacore, it doesn't have as much taste as the regular old tuna.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fortiflora could be mixed in raw goat's milk for him, I suspect. In a pinch you could get some very small empty gelatin capsules to put the fortiflora in and then pill him, but that's fairly extreme. I'd try the milk first.

Margret

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always forget about the goat's milk. That's the good thing about this site, there's always someone on hand to remember what you forget, or who's read something you didn't, or experienced what you're going through.

MuntyFresh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I’ll try to tuna and try to find some goats milk. We do have an animal supply store nearby that I may have some luck at.

I ran out of Fortiflora today. The vets sells 30 small packets for about $50. I’ve seen other probiotics out there but not sure if there’s any anyone would recommend?