Please help, 3 + diabetic senior

Jrsnyder201

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my husband and I are seniors. We rescued an 18 mo. old bonded pair. Bro/sis, a year ago. One year they have Purina One healthy metabolism dry cat food. Graze. They are beautiful. Life is good.
So a couple months ago someone dumps 2 cats on our doorstep! The only shelter is a kill shelter. We take them to our vet, both are declared, half paw chopped.one is 9 years old, scared alot. The other is 14 and diabetic. We brought them (boys, fixed) up to speed on shots, microchip etc and decided to keep them.
Our problem is feeding. Romeo (diabetic) is fed in bathroom. When he finishes he comes out and inhales the rest. So 3 don't get enough cause we pick it up, and Romeo overheats and bars!
Is there a way to mix wet and dry for all? Romeo is limited as is on insulin.
Sorry so long. Am desperate for any help.
Thanks in advance.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a similar problem. My cat Peaches cannot eat everyone else's food. She stays on the same food. Switching back and forth with dry would not be good for her. If she switches she throws up. None of my 3 cats eat dry for a variety of reasons, eat too fast then throw up,weight gain, more likely to have litterbox problems, actually not good for the teeth. Maggie and Coco have no problem eating different proteins every day but Peaches does

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The diabetic cat must be on a low carb canned food diet if at all possible. All the cats can eat low carb canned food. If you need to feed some dry, choose a fairly low carb one that won't affect the diabetic cat's blood glucose levels too much. Young Again makes a dry food that is supposedly zero carbs but it's only sold directly from the company and is really expensive. You should ask on the FelineDiabetes.com message board for other low carb less expensive dry foods and how to feed multiple cats. A microchip feeder may be an option.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jrsnyder201

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The diabetic cat must be on a low carb canned food diet if at all possible. All the cats can eat low carb canned food. If you need to feed some dry, choose a fairly low carb one that won't affect the diabetic cat's blood glucose levels too much. Young Again makes a dry food that is supposedly zero carbs but it's only sold directly from the company and is really expensive. You should ask on the FelineDiabetes.com message board for other low carb less expensive dry foods and how to feed multiple cats. A microchip feeder may be an option.
Thank you so much!
We use low carb wet for diabetic, and somewhat low carb high protein dry for the others.
Keeping diabetic out of kibbles is an issue...

Jrsnyder201

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a similar problem. My cat Peaches cannot eat everyone else's food. She stays on the same food. Switching back and forth with dry would not be good for her. If she switches she throws up. None of my 3 cats eat dry for a variety of reasons, eat too fast then throw up,weight gain, more likely to have litterbox problems, actually not good for the teeth. Maggie and Coco have no problem eating different proteins every day but Peaches does
Thanks for reply..
I was thinking about getting slow feeder bowls for all four.
Thoughts?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unregulated diabetic cats will always be hungry. Can you feed the diabetic cat more canned food until the blood glucose levels are in a more normal range?

Jrsnyder201

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unregulated diabetic cats will always be hungry. Can you feed the diabetic cat more canned food until the blood glucose levels are in a more normal range?
We feed him low carb pate', and few low carb, high protein kibbles ,in bathroom with door closed with hubby or I with him.
Meanwhile we feed other 3 their kibbles.
They were always grazers so not good at scheduled feeding.
Romeo comes out and gobbles up so much so fast he barfs! Whole kibbles. We have a small place..

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats do just fine with scheduled feeding. It shouldnt be hard to switch back. That way your diabetic cat will not eat others food. Cats in the wild have a regular routine of eating morning,mid day,and night

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you posted on the FelineDiabetes.com message board for advice on how to feed all your cats while still keeping the diabetic cat's tummy happy and blood glucose levels stable?

Jrsnyder201

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update on 3 +senior diabetic:
Ok, Romeo is the diabetic. He alone will get low carb, high protein wet food. Right now we use purina one vibrant maturity pate', but its a bit steep. Romeo does get regular glucose checks, and insulin.
We have ordered 5 slow feeder bowls, the stainless steel kind with lump in center, so Romeo can't scarf and barf.
All cats good on slow feeders?
Looking into cat fountain..
Buddy, Bogey, and Bacall will continue eating low carb, high protein kibbles.
Thoughts?
Thank you all

Jrsnyder201

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Messed up photos! Can't figure out how to fix it. Bad at forums.
If anyone can please delete duplicates?