Please give your experienced opinions!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would love to hear from all the people here on this wonderful site as to.....In your opinion, what is the BEST enzyme cleaner, and the BEST litter you have found to control odors in your house? I have wasted a lot of money on products that don't work at all, and know there has to be a solution out there. Please take a few seconds to give your expert advise!  I'll start with the best cleaner I have found for stains from hairballs and vomit.... Woolite cat urine and stain remover with Oxy, it takes the stain up the first time! Thanks!

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
About enzymes cleaner, I have no ideas, I've never needed them.

But for the litter, I actually use wood pellets, the kind that you put in a wood burning stove. They are cheaper than conventional litter, all natural wood, almost no dust, and the smell is fantastic. Sparrow have a stinky butt right now, and it's doing a pretty good job!

I read this article here yesterday, there are some good cleaners mentioned : How to Remove Cat Urine.

Last edited:

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Stuff like nature's miracle does not work and it stinks (in my opinion). I do not use any 'pet' cleaners; I use a squirt or two (depending on what cat mess it is and/or the size) of method's almound non-toxic natural floor cleaners. Yes, I know that sounds weird to use a floor cleaner, but it works! Don't use it on white or partially white things as it tends to stain them.

I use simply right (SAM's Club) brand scoopable litter. 42 lbs for $9.98! Or I use paws n' claws scoopable cat litter (the one in a blue bag or blue container) for $5 something. That is Tractor Supply Co's brand. I use to use plain old clay litter from our local feed store but they stopped carrying it. Best of luck!

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
di and bob di and bob

I disagree with oldgloryrags88 about Nature's Miracle. I've always found that to be the best thing to use any time one of my cats ever had an accident in the house. It got rid of the urine smell perfectly (though it does have a smell of its own, but it doesnt smell bad in my opinion and the smell usually goes away quickly) my kitties never urinated in those spots again after using Nature's Miracle...

Now, for odor control in the litterbox, I suggest pouring a decent amount of Arm&Hammer baking soda in the litter and mixing it in every time you scoop the litterbox.

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
di and bob di and bob

I disagree with oldgloryrags88 about Nature's Miracle. I've always found that to be the best thing to use any time one of my cats ever had an accident in the house. It got rid of the urine smell perfectly (though it does have a smell of its own, but it doesnt smell bad in my opinion and the smell usually goes away quickly) my kitties never urinated in those spots again after using Nature's Miracle...

Now, for odor control in the litterbox, I suggest pouring a decent amount of Arm&Hammer baking soda in the litter and mixing it in every time you scoop the litterbox.

I agree with you on the baking soda. That works good. They make litters with baking soda in them, but personally I never found one I like. I have a strong sense of smell. @ Di and Bob, most cats don't like scented litters too.

tobilei

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I really hate the enzyme cleaners. In my experience they are heavily perfumed and the area just ends up stinking of perfume and cat pee anyway. The best thing I've found is biozet (washing powder or liquid). It has enzymes in it that remove the smell and no horrible remaining perfume stink (not sure if it's available overseas).

Litter, I think I've tried them all but I use something called Max's (Coprice) which is made from the leftover products of rice processing. It's not clumping but it lasts and lasts and lasts.

pegleg

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They sell clumping silica later now which is fantastic. I still put some baking soda in the bottom but it really doesn't smell at all.

I have tiled floors and there haven't been any accidents on the furniture so I use a steam cleaner with the occasional bleach or vinegar mop to keep everything clean.