Please critique my rotation

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
I can't afford prepared raw indefinitely and I'm also just not the consumer type. The next step is EZComplete. How does my freezer stash look?
Whole feeder rats
Grind made from whole feeder rats
Chicken wings
Chicken necks
Chicken liver
Beef kidney
Chicken breast
Turkey roast
Beef ("dog meat" @ $40/40lbs, but it's organic grass fed)

She was accustomed to rabbit, chicken, and duck. I know where to get just a duck for fifteen bucks and I might be able to track down a rabbit too, but paying down credit card bills is also a priority.

TIA

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you measuring how much muscle meat vs organs vs bones you’re feeding? Only question I have is whether the calcium and phosphorus ratio is balanced, as well as whether the amount of iodine is sufficient. I’m assuming the feeder mice include the thyroids?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
The feeder mice are the whole animal, and she doesn't leave anything in her bowl. The rat grind contains the whole animal, but they are larger rats than a six month old kitten might be able to handle herself.

Everything else is human grade from either local sources or the supermarket and is supplemented with EZComplete[1].

This is an intermediate step between prepared raw (Stella & Chewy's, Instinct, etc.) and doing everything myself.

She's getting a chicken neck every week and I recently started her on whole wings as well. I don't put EZComplete on those.

She's had chicken gizzards and chicken hearts for treats before and taken them well. I was going to start with very small tastes of the liver and kidney, maybe tonight.

My understanding is that 80-10-10 is the ratio for dogs and that cats need more muscle meat, less bone, and MUST have supplementary taurine. I might be able to find a local source of rabbit in the future from a 4-H kid or something. I have some eggshell powder as well, but not a lot and I may need it for my dogs.

[1]How To

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
The feeder mice are the whole animal, and she doesn't leave anything in her bowl. The rat grind contains the whole animal, but they are larger rats than a six month old kitten might be able to handle herself.

Everything else is human grade from either local sources or the supermarket and is supplemented with EZComplete[1].

This is an intermediate step between prepared raw (Stella & Chewy's, Instinct, etc.) and doing everything myself.

She's getting a chicken neck every week and I recently started her on whole wings as well. I don't put EZComplete on those.

She's had chicken gizzards and chicken hearts for treats before and taken them well. I was going to start with very small tastes of the liver and kidney, maybe tonight.

My understanding is that 80-10-10 is the ratio for dogs and that cats need more muscle meat, less bone, and MUST have supplementary taurine. I might be able to find a local source of rabbit in the future from a 4-H kid or something. I have some eggshell powder as well, but not a lot and I may need it for my dogs.

[1]How To
I have never heard that 80-10-10 is just for dogs. All of the feline recipes I know also follow this model. I think you gotta decide which model you want to follow and then go from there. If it’s the whole prey model then I think you gotta feed a variety of different whole prey proteins, not just mice. If it’s the 80-10-10 model then you gotta measure it out and follow a recipe. Just doing guesswork around how much bone to give makes me a little uncomfortable personally.