Please come home Einstein!

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone! :)

I have a friend who is a member on a parrot site and she has just recently lost her cat, Einstein. He had gotten into a cat fight and the stress from it caused him to develop a UTI. Her vet gave her a small dose of Elavil to calm him down and he hated it so much that he kind of went on a hunger strike. The weather where she lives became real warm this past weekend and the house was open- he escaped.

Einstein is use to the outdoors (barn cat), so I don't think the bout of cold weather would effect him, but she is worried about his medical condition.

These are some of the suggestions that people have given her:

1. Alert every neighbor to the fact that your kitty is missing.

2. Another good thing to do is to place a carrier (preferably one that he has used) outside with a unwashed shirt of yours inside. Also make sure to put food and water for him outside. You can also put an ad in your local paper and there are radio stations that will run lost animal ads for free.

3. Never underestimate the power of the sound of a food bag being shaken or poured into a bowel, or a can of food being opened.

4. Best time to look for kitty is usually when the world is sleeping- 2am is a great time.

5. Look in sheds, garages, trees, bushes, and under porches.

6. If you live in a rural area, make sure to tell your postman, he/she sees a lot.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where a very frighten and ill kitty would hide out?

Without further delay, this is EINSTEIN.
1581109524839.png

Thanks guys

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I think you have covered a lot of what is recommended to do, but not only alert the neighbors to Einstein missing, but ask them to check all the possible hiding places in their backyards as well. Walking around with a bag/can of food shaking it too and calling to him - but, stay in one place for a while to let the cat have time to get to you. Look up too - trees, etc. And at night, take a flashlight to see if you can get his eyes to shine in the light. Flyers around the neighborhood/local stores/vets offices/rescue shelters/etc. And, check back with these places frequently (squeaky wheel gets the oil). This article might contain some additional ideas - Help! My Cat Is Lost! – Cat Articles

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never give up. As you know, it can feel like you’ll never find them. Sometimes I feel like they are watching and waiting for us to walk away. I would suggest leaving the house open again too. Each day try putting his food down inside in the usual spot. He may surprise her by showing up as though nothing has happened. Tell her not to panic but do let him hear her calling. If he gets concerned about her, he may return to check on her. Using please Einstein! Ask neighbors to check their outbuildings as well. I hope he returns quickly.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Also, use that flashlight to check small, dark, enclosed spaces of ALL sorts, including under dense bushes. Cats tend to "go to earth," especially when they are not well. MOST house cats are found VERY close to home, but as a former barn cat, he could conceivably wander as much as 2-3 miles.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, use that flashlight to check small, dark, enclosed spaces of ALL sorts, including under dense bushes. Cats tend to "go to earth," especially when they are not well. MOST house cats are found VERY close to home, but as a former barn cat, he could conceivably wander as much as 2-3 miles.
Thank you so much, Mamany for your tip that cats tend to stay close to the ground when they are not feeling well. I hadn't thought of that. You do know your cats. :)

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am going to ask the moderators to take this thread down due to the indifference the cat community here has shown it. Sorry, if that seems harsh, but a lot of us responded to the thread of where someone lost her mother's cat. We gave the OP some helpful tips while cheering her on. I also took the time and interest in sending my friends PM's when a kitty named Lilly was missing. That is what Cat people are suppose to do-- we have all been there. TIME is not a luxury that a missing cat has.

I want to thank all of the people who have taken the time to answer this thread. Your concern for Einstein and the help that you have provided in finding him is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don’t take it down. A lot of the amount of responses you get has to do with timing and how many people are on site at the time. Keeping it active is key to bringing it up so more people will see it. There is a huge time difference for many of our members as well since they are in other parts of the world. I know it’s stressful when you are waiting and hoping for help but please hang in there.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Don’t take it down. A lot of the amount of responses you get has to do with timing and how many people are on site at the time. Keeping it active is key to bringing it up so more people will see it. There is a huge time difference for many of our members as well since they are in other parts of the world. I know it’s stressful when you are waiting and hoping for help but please hang in there.
Its not me, it is Einstein and his owner that need assistance- right away.- she is going through hell as we all would be. This post has been up for over 24 hours, that is plenty of time to respond. And you can't bump a thread- that is against the rules. I will find another way to help her.

Anyway, don't mean to whine and I don't want to take away from what you three amazing people have posted. :)

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't understand. You have gotten some pretty good advice - not to mention your initial ideas. Are you saying that none of what you suggested - or any other members' ideas - will work???? It can take days, weeks, even months for a cat to come home. Help us understand...
I thought I made it clear how much I appreciate those who have responded. I have written the OP and told her that while there wasn't much in the way of quantity, the quality is wonderful. But this is a situation where we need a collaboration of ideas.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise

I have a friend who is a member on a parrot site and she has just recently lost her cat, Einstein. He had gotten into a cat fight and the stress from it caused him to develop a UTI. Her vet gave her a small dose of Elavil to calm him down and he hated it so much that he kind of went on a hunger strike. The weather where she lives became real warm this past weekend and the house was open- he escaped.

Einstein is use to the outdoors (barn cat), so I don't think the bout of cold weather would effect him, but she is worried about his medical condition.

2. Another good thing to do is to place a carrier (preferably one that he has used) outside with a unwashed shirt of yours inside. Also make sure to put food and water for him outside. You can also put an ad in your local paper and there are radio stations that will run lost animal ads for free.

3. Never underestimate the power of the sound of a food bag being shaken or poured into a bowel, or a can of food being opened.

4. Best time to look for kitty is usually when the world is sleeping- 2am is a great time.

6. If you live in a rural area, make sure to tell your postman, he/she sees a lot.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where a very frighten and ill kitty would hide out?

View attachment 321435

Thanks guys
Make sure to look under the sheds as well
Post pictures of the lost kitty on poles ...On any sites you might you like the next door app....facebook...etc.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know sitting and waiting is hard. I think what you need right now is moral support. You did a great job on your opening post and the others added what they could to help. The stress of waiting is super hard so.... sending all the thoughts, good wishes, hopes, prayers and vibes for Einstein to run back into the house the same way he ran out. :vibes::runningcat:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The key is anything that your friend does has to be consistent - that means checking outside as many times of the day and night as possible - every day and every night for as many days/nights that it takes. Each and every one of the suggestions - including your own - can't be done once but over, and over, and over , and over, and over again. Tbh, there is a lot of quantity of ideas. They ALL have to be enacted - again, each and every day/night/and every moment in between.

Just exactly how long has Einstein been missing? And, you have especially got to remember this a former (?) barn cat, yes? I would not extend your feelings about this being a lost cause to your friend. Keep her hopes up and make her keep fighting to get him to come back. All is not lost, by a long shot - don't make your friend feel as if it is!!!!! :vibes::vibes::vibes:

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I know sitting and waiting is hard. I think what you need right now is moral support. You did a great job on your opening post and the others added what they could to help. The stress of waiting is super hard so.... sending all the thoughts, good wishes, hopes, prayers and vibes for Einstein to run back into the house the same way he ran out. :vibes::runningcat:
Okay, I may not have explained this well, but Einstein is not my kitty. He is the proud kitty friend of someone who is over on a parrot forum that I am on, and those suggestions actually came from those who own birds.

Thank you for your well wishes and good vibes, I will pass them on to her. :)

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I may not have explained this well, but Einstein is not my kitty. He is the proud kitty friend of someone who is over on a parrot forum that I am on, and those suggestions actually came from those who own birds.

Thank you for your well wishes and good vibes, I will pass them on to her. :)
I know that..I may have not worded my post correctly..

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was he a barn cat in that area? He is neutered? How long has she had him? I ask these things because if he isn’t neutered, well, you know. He’s out catting. Since he was a barn cat, hoping he is neutered. If he lived near, he may head for his old stomping grounds. If he hasn’t been with her long, same thing. They often try to return to their original places. She could check those.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
The key is anything that your friend does has to be consistent - that means checking outside as many times of the day and night as possible - every day and every night for as many days/nights that it takes. Each and every one of the suggestions - including your own - can't be done once but over, and over, and over , and over, and over again. Tbh, there is a lot of quantity of ideas. They ALL have to be enacted - again, each and every day/night/and every moment in between.

Just exactly how long has Einstein been missing? And, you have especially got to remember this a former (?) barn cat, yes? I would not extend your feelings about this being a lost cause to your friend. Keep her hopes up and make her keep fighting to get him to come back. All is not lost, by a long shot - don't make your friend feel as if it is!!!!! :vibes::vibes::vibes:
I b

I am going to say it has been close to a week. :( I believe the thread went up on Monday. She does not think to continue to look for her baby is a lost cause, and I certainly never have said or thought that. I have always believed that you should always keep looking for your animal friend until you find him/her. Yes, he is a former barn cat, but he is also an ill and frighten cat.

Good tip about consistency, I will make sure she reads what you have wrritten. Thank you. :)

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Was he a barn cat in that area? He is neutered? How long has she had him? I ask these things because if he isn’t neutered, well, you know. He’s out catting. Since he was a barn cat, hoping he is neutered. If he lived near, he may head for his old stomping grounds. If he hasn’t been with her long, same thing. They often try to return to their original places. She could check those.
Good questions, and ones that I don't have an answer for, but I will find out from her.

I think she is more worried that a UTI was coming on and that it may have gotten worse.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise

View attachment 321435

Thanks guys
I really hope Einstein comes home safe n sound soon..:alright::vibes::grouphug2::redheartpump::grouphug::petcat::catrub::silver: