Please Bear With Us

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Once things settle down here, we can start looking for volunteers and taking requests. Things are a bit too hectic at the moment. In the meantime, people can find or take some really clear pictures of their cats against contrasting backgrounds, so the volunteers will have something to work with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
The signatures are slowly coming back. That was something that was lost the last time the platform was changed. I am no good at that sort of thing. I remember a couple of members made signatures for other members. I was about to have one made for me and they went away.
Send me some pics that you would like in a sig and preferred colors, etc. and I can hook you up. ;)

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's a dumb question. Where do I find my subs or watched threads? I've found it by accident several times and forgot how I got there. Thanks!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Not dumb at all. I found - and then lost them, too.

Your username at the top right --->Alert Preferences. Links to your Watched Forums and Watched Threads are located on the left under Your Account.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I've done that. And I see the alerts at top right. Where do I find all watched threads in one place, in order of newest responses? I've found it before under home but now I can't find it .

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok now my question about watched threads is: after reading the new posts, will the title "gray out" like it did before to designate I am caught up on that thread?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I found them again!
Under "Forums" in the toolbar? You mean "Your Content"?

Ok now my question about watched threads is: after reading the new posts, will the title "gray out" like it did before to designate I am caught up on that thread?
There's a dot next to the title of threads with unread messages (i.e., posts). It disappears once you've read everything, and the thread title is no longer in boldface.

unread threads.jpg

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great idea!
I really want to put together a thread like that, maybe even an article. There's so many nifty tips and tricks here - I know I haven't discovered all of them yet!

I like how easy it is to embed videos here - just copy the link and paste into your post! This one is for you, KatKnapper KatKnapper ! :itslove:

Make it so Number 1! Oh wait.. Number 1 was second in command of the Enterprise. Oh.. still wrong. Should be Captian Janeway.

Anywho, thanks for the compliments and the video. I spammed that video so much to my brain, that it told me, "why don't you just buy it?" So I did. :) I also didn't want to link it here. If I recall correctly, didn't TheCatSite have rules against linking Youtube videos??? Uh OH...Pandora is out of the box! ;-p

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ahh little note or tibbit if you're concerned about privacy and not giving up too much details here.. not that it is all that bad, but you still should be concerned about what private details you allow to be public as stuff here can be viewed openly on the web. Anywho, I put a comment in my profile, which appears below the picture, "On the Inside Looking Out." It was in reference to my cat looking out the window, as I took his picture through the glass pane. Sorry so long here on this. The new forum platform done some sort of web search or google the words and link it to an actual place with a map location. Yes, it link it to a In Real Life place and provided a map GPS coordinate. Try it.. cursor and click it!!!

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Under "Forums" in the toolbar? You mean "Your Content"?

There's a dot next to the title of threads with unread messages (i.e., posts). It disappears once you've read everything, and the thread title is no longer in boldface.

View attachment 176485
Ok I see now, thanks!

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahh little note or tibbit if you're concerned about privacy .... Anywho, I put a comment in my profile, which appears below the picture, "On the Inside Looking Out." ..
In which part of your profile did you put the comment? Was it in the "Location" field?

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
[QUOTE="katknapper, post: 4263133, member: 116925".....if you're concerned about privacy...........stuff here can be viewed openly on the web....

...I put a comment in my profile.....It was in reference to my cat looking out the window.....The new forum platform done some sort of web search...and link it to an actual place with a map location. Yes, it link it to a In Real Life place and provided a map GPS coordinate. Try it.. cursor and click it!!![/QUOTE]

I FIND THIS PROFOUNDLY DISTURBING......IF (as I understand the poster to be stating) that 'their' location is being openly displayed.

And, IF this is the case for 'comments' inserted into one's profile.......what else on here is doing the same thing ?

And, IF this is happening here, it is completely UNACCEPTABLE to me.

Will someone who knows the answer to this please reply ? (no guesses, please)

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My guess to fix this is to not fill in the "Location" box.

It looks like you put "CA" in it.

(sorry for the "guess")

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In which part of your profile did you put the comment? Was it in the "Location" field?
Yes it was a statement I added to the location (ie city, state you reside) for the previous forum platform. It needs further testing to see what this could possible do. I'm having a little trouble editing it at the moment. I wish to see if I put in a actual city and state, if it will only show that and not pull my gps location from my computer (or Amazon Echo's Alexa as she knows too many intricate things about me.) lol Please I didn't mean to scare anyone...this needs further research... so don't be alarmed.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just leave the "Location" field blank.

By the way, you can make who views your profile page a bit limited.

Go to your Privacy section on your profile page, find where it says, "People who may..." "view your details on your profile page" and "post messages on your profile page".

It gives you some choices. One choice is "People you follow only". If you choose that (remember to save changes), then just Follow NO ONE. Or just untoggle those boxes altogether.

Last edited:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that if you put anything in the "Location" field, then this forum software is essentially enabling geolocation services (w/ Google, which is one of the main bots). I've left my Location (and a lot of other things in my profile) blank.

But your IP address also connects you to a location, unless your ISP (et cetera) masks it.

@anne, @CvP? These are just my guesses...

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok.. the location settings now are under Personal Details in your profile. It will only show via a web map the specifics as you list them. If you put your City, State in there, thats all it will show on the map, using Being Maps if I recall, and provide some data on your city and/or state, such as population data. If you list something specific with enough detail that it can be pinpointed on a map, then info will be available on a gps enabled map such as Bing Maps.

I used my city, state, and that is all that came up on the map, was the city limits highlighted, along with geographical census type data. In a second sample, I typed in the name of a specific restaurant and the web map pulled up all its local chains as well as places that had similar names.

Using the same restaurant I typed in its exact address, and that was pinpointed on the street map. So there you have it. The more detailed the location information you enter, the more exact it will pinpoint on a map. Sorry to scare ya. As you were, with your previous personal security measures.

PS: I changed my location info to the title of a book I'm reading, "The Cat In The Window," and the location feature which is link to Google Maps, pulled up "The Cat In The Window Cafe` in the UK. lol :crackup:

"These aren't the droids you're looking for...you can go about your business...move along." [Jedi hand wave].

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
This is absolutely not true that it is going to your own address if I click on your location I get not found. I have a house full of people so cane explain more, but will,later.