Please Bear With Us

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Things are still not 100% set up yet. There are still glitches and things missing. Please do report them if they haven't been reported in this forum yet.

Anne Anne and our developers have been working some long hours with very little sleep the past few days and are working hard behind the scenes to get things straightened out. They are handling the big issues first and will make their way down to adding things like smilies, fixing user titles, etc. The most important thing was to get the site up and functional so people that have cat emergencies can get some help. If they had waited until things were 100% then some cats would not have gotten the help they needed.

The site is different. We gained some things and we lost some things. We are still learning all of the differences. The Team did get the opportunity to do a little on test site, so we can answer basic questions. Some things we are learning along with you. I've seen members post tricks already that I didn't know about. If you see someone ask a question and you know the answer, please jump right in and help. :) We'll all learn from it.

We moved to our old platform in November of 2011. It was pretty much bare bones at first and a lot was added over the last 5-1/2 years. Right now we are starting out bare again but expect to add a lot of improvements going forward.

Thanks for all of your patience! :)

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Things are still not 100% set up yet. There are still glitches and things missing. Please do report them if they haven't been reported in this forum yet.

Anne Anne and our developers have been working some long hours with very little sleep the past few days and are working hard behind the scenes to get things straightened out. They are handling the big issues first and will make their way down to adding things like smilies, fixing user titles, etc. The most important thing was to get the site up and functional so people that have cat emergencies can get some help. If they had waited until things were 100% then some cats would not have gotten the help they needed.

The site is different. We gained some things and we lost some things. We are still learning all of the differences. The Team did get the opportunity to do a little on test site, so we can answer basic questions. Some things we are learning along with you. I've seen members post tricks already that I didn't know about. If you see someone ask a question and you know the answer, please jump right in and help. :) We'll all learn from it.

We moved to our old platform in November of 2011. It was pretty much bare bones at first and a lot was added over the last 5-1/2 years. Right now we are starting out bare again but expect to add a lot of improvements going forward.

Thanks for all of your patience! :)

At this point, a lot of people are probably feeling like
or
or
, but we just have to give it a little time.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
I didn't even know what I was looking at at first, thought I was at a different site so turned it off and started over. Then I could not remember my password so asked for a reset. I was to get an email, never happened, asked again still nothing happened. Wracked my brains and tried another password, bingo, hit it right this time. Ok so here I am but still don't like it. Seems every time I finally get comfortable with a web site somebody decides to change it, rats! The print appears to be bigger but then I am on a desktop, somebody with a a small screen may still have problems reading. I'll give this a chance as I would hate to loose my onscreen buddies. We'll see.

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To All TCS Members,

Just a thought!

If today proved one thing, it's that many of us don't like change, me included.

I too wondered with these changes would I come back as often. I was a little frustrated with finding my way around so I decided to walk away from the computer for a while and work on other projects.

While away from the computer I began to think about what brought me to TCS. And that was my sick cats.
This is a community helping one another in the best interest of our furballs. It was this time last year when I was beside myself and it's because of the support I received I made it through.

I can't abandon the ship this soon and I hope you all don't either.

People come here out of genuine concern and desperation.
People need you guys!!!!!! @red top rescue, don't go...

Please keep in mind many concerns were already fixed. Other glitches will be worked out eventually.

The old format was by far one of the cleanest and original forums I'd ever posted on and if there was a way to let us choose what format we wanted to use that would be an option. Unfortunately as computer software advances changes need to be made, thus creating an unfamiliar and frustrating environment at first.

Anne Anne AbbysMom AbbysMom and the rest of the team (forgive me for not knowing all involved) are working diligently to make this a comfortable atmosphere as it was before.

Agreed, jcat jcat - we all need to give it time - don't leave. Everyone is important to this site.

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Love this site, hate the new one. I can't see responses to threads I've posted on or followed Thank you for everyone working hard on it but it wasn't broken, why change it??

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To All TCS Members,

Just a thought!

If today proved one thing, it's that many of us don't like change, me included.

I too wondered with these changes would I come back as often. I was a little frustrated with finding my way around so I decided to walk away from the computer for a while and work on other projects.

While away from the computer I began to think about what brought me to TCS. And that was my sick cats.
This is a community helping one another in the best interest of our furballs. It was this time last year when I was beside myself and it's because of the support I received I made it through.

I can't abandon the ship this soon and I hope you all don't either.

People come here out of genuine concern and desperation.
People need you guys!!!!!! @red top rescue, don't go...

Please keep in mind many concerns were already fixed. Other glitches will be worked out eventually.

The old format was by far one of the cleanest and original forums I'd ever posted on and if there was a way to let us choose what format we wanted to use that would be an option. Unfortunately as computer software advances changes need to be made, thus creating an unfamiliar and frustrating environment at first.

Anne Anne AbbysMom AbbysMom and the rest of the team (forgive me for not knowing all involved) are working diligently to make this a comfortable atmosphere as it was before.

Agreed, jcat jcat - we all need to give it time - don't leave. Everyone is important to this site.
I agree!

Sometimes you have to work within the parameters of a forum template or hosting service, and, additionally, sometimes you have to move to a new template before you are quite ready. None of us except the staff and site owner know all of the reasons for their decision to go to a new format at this time. When things like this happen, it's the community that pulls people through it. Plus, it takes time to learn all the ins and outs of a new forum. Rome was not built in a day.

One thing I know... the site owner and the staff here work very hard, and they are not ones to shirk from good customer service! We may never get the old forum template back, but we all have that standard in our hearts of what we liked about the old forum, and we can try to convey what was most important to us. Once the kinks are worked out, who knows what fine tuning can be done in the future. Think positive!

kittylove53

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am no computer wiz.I was just becoming able to use the site as it just was.I am 63, kittylove53.This desk top is quite old by today's standards.I am still on windows,XP, This is hard enough for me. I was happy to be able to just type out what I could.I want to know how I am going to find my P.M. messages old, and new ones?How do I answer these and create new ones? It is hard to teach an old cat new tricks! I was also frustrated with the new log on.I was afraid it would not know me ! I have been here since May 2015. I do not want to lose my post numbers.I also can not find people who have given me praise so I can thank them and give them praise.I an having a hard time.I guess new things tend to throw me off.Please advise.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree!

Sometimes you have to work within the parameters of a forum template or hosting service, and, additionally, sometimes you have to move to a new template before you are quite ready. None of us except the staff and site owner know all of the reasons for their decision to go to a new format at this time. When things like this happen, it's the community that pulls people through it. Plus, it takes time to learn all the ins and outs of a new forum. Rome was not built in a day.

One thing I know... the site owner and the staff here work very hard, and they are not ones to shirk from good customer service! We may never get the old forum template back, but we all have that standard in our hearts of what we liked about the old forum, and we can try to convey what was most important to us. Once the kinks are worked out, who knows what fine tuning can be done in the future. Think positive!
They didn't "decide" to go to a new format; the service provider stopped offering the old format. In other words, they were forced to make a decision, and they picked the best that was available. There are still tweaks that need to be made, but those are happening as quickly as possible. We already have our emojis back, better than ever.

Also, there are tweaks that we users can make on our own. For instance, there is no photo field in your profile any longer. But it turns out that there doesn't need to be a separate field for this. All you have to do is insert the photo in your profile the same way you would insert a photo in any message.

Everyone here is a highly valued member of an important community. Please give the new format and the administrators a chance. It is extremely premature to give up on TCS now, while things are still in flux.

Margret

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I too prefer the old software, I hate having to learn how to work it, however like most changes I suppose I will get used to it. (However I hated Win 10 and won't use it and am back using Win 7 again) but I do like the larger print on the new Forum platform! There are also some improvements in enabling one to send messages to the Fora including the Preview of what you have written. The draft is immediately below the Preview and I like this.

I too must thank the Forum staff for their hard work and dedication in putting up the new platform.
Geoffrey

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am no computer wiz.I was just becoming able to use the site as it just was.I am 63, kittylove53.This desk top is quite old by today's standards.I am still on windows,XP, This is hard enough for me. I was happy to be able to just type out what I could.I want to know how I am going to find my P.M. messages old, and new ones?How do I answer these and create new ones? It is hard to teach an old cat new tricks! I was also frustrated with the new log on.I was afraid it would not know me ! I have been here since May 2015. I do not want to lose my post numbers.I also can not find people who have given me praise so I can thank them and give them praise.I an having a hard time.I guess new things tend to throw me off.Please advise.
Look at the bar at the top of the screen. There's a little envelope symbol. Click on that, then click on 'Conversations'. That will take you to your PM folder. It all works pretty much as it did before from there. The biggest difference is that PMs are now called Conversations :winkcat:

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
kittylove53 kittylove53
I spent lots of time here roaming around yesterday.

I can gather all my findings and PM you or is now called (concersations) you later.

For me, once you get familiar with what and how you used the old format first, it makes it so much easier to use.

Feel free to PM me anytime. It's not so bad xoxo

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
kittylove53 kittylove53
I spent lots of time here roaming around yesterday.

I can gather all my findings and PM you or is now called (concersations) you later.
Have you posted all your "findings" elsewhere? If not, why not create a thread with all of them so we can see them. You may have discovered things no one else knows about :)

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens - You are reading my mind.

I was just working on a thread for to have all info in one place.

If you started one already let me know. I haven't been on much today. So not sure what new info is available.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, I haven't started one. I'm still reading the this thread to see what everyone has reported as issues and fixes trying to find my way around the site.

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I didn't even know what I was looking at at first, thought I was at a different site so turned it off and started over. Then I could not remember my password so asked for a reset. I was to get an email, never happened, asked again still nothing happened. Wracked my brains and tried another password, bingo, hit it right this time. Ok so here I am but still don't like it. Seems every time I finally get comfortable with a web site somebody decides to change it, rats! The print appears to be bigger but then I am on a desktop, somebody with a a small screen may still have problems reading. I'll give this a chance as I would hate to loose my onscreen buddies. We'll see.
You can do it! Think of the new change as you would a new semi-feral you just took in. [chants to self: He's not the boss of me. I'm the boss of me. I can manage this new cat. He's just another cat, with a really pretty face, big canines and big claws. I ain't afraid of him!. Here me ROAR! RAWWRRRRRR!!!!] WUT? Did my brain just summon a Kat Perry quote???? As I listen to it now, it hits right home with the forum platform change. Go hear it, let it lift up the "champion" in you Catsters!

I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter
Dancing through the fire
'Cause I am the champion, and you're gonna hear me roar
Louder, louder than a lion
'Cause I am a champion, and you're gonna hear me roar

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I like the new site . Different command menus than the old one and a lot of "press and see" to test the functions . I have already been posting here and there without problems. Looking at the tutorials I think I can now post a link with just a title without showing the entire URL. I like the funny face emoticons and auto script alignment . Neat-O !
Test and have fun people. Remember you can't break anything ~ ´:compsurfing:

Last edited:

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
"The real winners in life are the people who look at every situation with an expectation that they can make it work or make it better." - Barbara Pletcher (courtesy of http://www.oprah.com/spirit/quotes-about-change-motivational-quotes)

Thought you Catsters needed a little push (dive in. no fear. you're a fish!)

I am in the process of another change besides the new TheCatSite.com. With the recent changes in ISP privacies I have been sampling other web browsers. This new browser listed TheCatSite with the name XenForo in the same icon. After a couple days of scratching my head and ignoring it, I decided to stop and investigate. XenFora is the name of our new forum platform. Its conception and history I found quite interesting...born through "change" in thinking. My hat is off to the developers of [XenForo] for breaking with the norm and sailing out onto their own new horizons.

This gent's review piece of this forum platform just may help to inspire us all to get behind our TheCatSite.com Team. Why I Moved From vbulletin To PHPbb to XenForo

I like it! I'm with ya on this TheCatSite.com Team. Go with Katy Perry and chant the lyrics..."'Cause I am the champion, and you're gonna hear me roar."

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I agree with abbysmom on this thread. Let's be patience and bear through this teething period.

It's is good that Anne Anne and her dedicated team started this Site Migration Report Issues thread and they are working very hard :hellocomputer: to get the site off the ground and their responses are prompt and accommodating.

I find that this is one of the best off hand accidental tutorial we are having now. I think many including me will skip tutorials and jump straight into it but with this I've learned quite a bit just by go through the postings whether negative or positive comments made by members and through every request, feedback, suggestions, encountered problems and so on. Some even went a step further to help solve some problems freeing the team to focus on other more important issues. :clap:

So let us give our full support to the team so that all known issues will be rectified and improvements made so that we can have the best Catsite.

Baskins-Robbins has 31 flavors but it still does not satisfy everyone even if they have a hundred.

Hope to see a full flight soon. Keep it up Team Catsite! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :thanks:

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I was just working on a thread for to have all info in one place.
Great idea!
I really want to put together a thread like that, maybe even an article. There's so many nifty tips and tricks here - I know I haven't discovered all of them yet!

I like how easy it is to embed videos here - just copy the link and paste into your post! This one is for you, KatKnapper KatKnapper ! :itslove:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The signatures are slowly coming back. That was something that was lost the last time the platform was changed. I am no good at that sort of thing. I remember a couple of members made signatures for other members. I was about to have one made for me and they went away.