Please. Any advice.

c413jones2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi.

My 7 mo old kitten Elliot, swallowed a string from a toy he destroyed while I was sleeping around two days ago. He's never done it, so I was never worried about it. I was told to give him vaseline with his food twice a day to help pass it since it was a fairly short string.

I have been watching him for symptoms. He is still eating and drinking. He's not crazy vocal- not hiding from me either or being aggressive. His stomach doesn't seem to hurt. It's not swollen. No vomiting or gagging. The only thing i've noticed is he's sleeping a bit more today.

What I'm freaking out about is I keep seeing him go to the litter box, but every time he tries to pee/poop nothing happens and he just walks out. I'm so confused as to why this is happening. I need any advice of something I can do to help him. I'm only a teenager, and can't drive him to a vet while my family is sleeping or working in the day. Please, I'm so worried and I don't want him suffering. Is there anything I can do or what this could be?

eva21513

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you're watching him for symptoms! Based on what you've said here, I think he needs to see a vet as soon as possible. How long has it been since he has pooped or peed?

When a cat or kitten goes into the litter box and tries to use it, but leaves without producing pee/poop, that is a major cause for concern. If he's straining and unable to pee, specifically, that's a medical emergency. (Straining to poop with a history of ingesting a string that has yet to pass is also a medical emergency.) I'm not sure exactly what your situation is - eg if you have a car, or have access to some form of transportation - but he needs to see a vet as soon as possible. If it were me, and especially if I'm understanding you correctly that he is straining to pee and can't, I'd take him to an emergency vet tonight. Uber has an option when requesting a ride to request one that will accept you with your pet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

c413jones2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm glad you're watching him for symptoms! Based on what you've said here, I think he needs to see a vet as soon as possible. How long has it been since he has pooped or peed?

When a cat or kitten goes into the litter box and tries to use it, but leaves without producing pee/poop, that is a major cause for concern. If he's straining and unable to pee, specifically, that's a medical emergency. (Straining to poop with a history of ingesting a string that has yet to pass is also a medical emergency.) I'm not sure exactly what your situation is - eg if you have a car, or have access to some form of transportation - but he needs to see a vet as soon as possible. If it were me, and especially if I'm understanding you correctly that he is straining to pee and can't, I'd take him to an emergency vet tonight. Uber has an option when requesting a ride to request one that will accept you with your pet.
Maybe 8-12 hours. I'm looking at that option now, and am contacting vets already to see how fast I can get in with my current situation.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope you're able to get a vet appointment. For your own peace of mind, an x-ray to rule out an obstruction would be a good thing.