Pleas help! How do I survive the next 10 days with my hyperactive kitten after spay?

Spark4654

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I guess I just need some advice/reassurance. I got my kitten, Inky spayed on Tuesday. The vet gave us gabapentin as a sedative/painkiller for her to take every 8 hours, 0.5mgl. We were also given a e-collar which she absolute hates and still goes crazy after 5 days.

I was under the impression that she would be calm and drowsy for the next couple of days atleast, but the moment she came home, she was bouncing off the walls. The gabapentin didn’t help either. She actually became more hyper than she was pre-spay. The vet specifically told us to confine her in a small space and prevent her from jumping and running around. I initially confined her to my room. She would claw at my door and actually jump to where the doorknob is let out.

I stopped giving her gabapentin on Thursday as soon as I learned that in rare cases, it could actually have the opposite effect. I did a test run and made sure that she wasn’t in pain after 12 hours. It was quite obvious she wasn’t (eating, moving, normal litterbox behavior) so I stopped. However she still has these crazy outbursts of energy and is still bouncing off the walls. I bought a play pen to confine her with her litterbox, food, water and some small toys, but she flips out whenever we zip it up so we gave up on that. We bought her a onesie, and she would fall over time to time, still acting hyper and missing her jumps, risking her incision to open up even more. She would also chew on the fabric, and I felt paranoid she would rip it apart whenever I was away from the house. So we just kept the cone on. The cone’s a bit small as her whiskers rub against the cone. Could that be a reason? I got another cone from the vet which is wider on the opening, but I haven’t taken it off yet because she would run away whenever we try to mess with her current cone.

I assumed her hyper activeness comes from us not playing with her and keeping her engaged, so I resorted to small toys, cat TV on my tablet, and the whole 9 yards. She’s also been eating alot more which could explain the additional energy (we’ve been feeding her exclusively wet food after spay).

I apologize for the long thread, but is this normal? Am I doing something wrong or can I do something better on my part? I’m a college student and I’m also part time military and it’s been extremely difficult for me to focus when I’m not home. I’m also getting paranoid regarding her incision. If somebody can tell me anything wrong with her picture — day 5 currently — I’d greatly appreciate it!

Attachments

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The incision looks fine, I can't see stitches so I presume the vet used glue but there are usually internal stitches that will dissolve. If she hates the e-collar you could try a recovery suit, there are videos online that show you how to easily make them out of such things as socks, sleeves. Its really hard to try to keep them quiet but you can only do your best, some cats just go mad. After 5 days she will have done a fair amount of healing so I would try some gentle playing with her to use up some of her energy. Keep an eye on the wound, check it doesnt open, no redness or weeping but if you have any concerns send a picture to your vet for his opinion.