Playtime recommendations

droidus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will admit, I don't play with my cat as much as I probably should. But he is hard to play with. He is about 6 years old. I've attached two images. The first is a stick that has the item seen in the second photo, attached. He likes to attack the small tiny shiny silver piece when it is dragged around on the floor, oddly. He really enjoys stalking, and the rustling of stuff. He is picky about what I put on the end of the stick and funny enough, he is more concerned about the tip of the stick than the toy on the other end. But with this certain toy attached, he is attracted to it, and I think it might be because of its bright color.
What would be some good toy recommendations for him? Let me know if there is any more information I should provide!

20200225_171815.jpg

20200225_172025.jpg

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Does he like catnip or toys with catnip? If so, there are many of these toys available in pet stores and on-line.
Here's a great Article about how to choose the best toy for your cat that might be helpful:
How To Choose The Best Toy For Your Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

droidus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks!
I think he will like this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WP7F8YC/?tag=thecatsite. He LOVES anything that rustles and moves about on the ground! Especially stalking his prey! I actually use to have a tunnel, and just rustled a stick under it and it would get him going. Plastic bags have the same effect! :D
I actually bought catnip the other day and sprayed it on his two cardboard scratching toys, but he didn't do too much with it or go crazy. I wish he would take to it!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't let him play with plastic bags. When he gets older, he will eventually get stuck in one, get scared, and run around with it stuck to him like a parachute. I mean, that is probably going to happen anyway. It has certainly happened to most of my cats despite our being careful. Usually, its a quick scare, but there is always a chance they break something when in that kind of panic. So its best to just not allow play in plastic bags.

(Can happen with paper bags as well, but they don't cling as tightly so the chances are lower.)

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Just a quick idea: since your boy likes things that rustling noise, he might enjoy playing with balls made of crumpled paper. Just be sure that they are too big for him to accidentally swallow.

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can roll plastic bags into a donut shape then tape the loose end. That way it can be played with safely unless he chews it.
There are also fur mouse like toys with crinkly stuff in them. You can make yours with suitable candy wraps stuffed in sock toes cut and sewed at the end