Plays In Water Bowl?

SuefromTN

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, does anyone know why cats like to paw at their water bowl? We keep it fresh, but I’ve heard they like their water to be moving... interesting.. any ideas?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats like moving water yes. Fortunately, most don't seem to play with the water dish too often or for very long. If you want to see something that has more cat appeal you could turn the sink or bathtub faucet to a drip. For many cats this is high entertainment.

This is one of those things that many cat owners do at least once. However, it might be super cute at first, but cat in the sink or bathtub is also kind of gross. No one wants to clean cat hair out of a bathtub. Admittedly, we indulged our cat in this hobby quite a few times before we began to wonder how we had been tricked into it.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

SuefromTN

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats like moving water yes. Fortunately, most don't seem to play with the water dish too often or for very long. If you want to see something that has more cat appeal you could turn the sink or bathtub faucet to a drip. For many cats this is high entertainment.

This is one of those things that many cat owners do at least once. However, it might be super cute at first, but cat in the sink or bathtub is also kind of gross. No one wants to clean cat hair out of a bathtub. Admittedly, we indulged our cat in this hobby quite a few times before we began to wonder how we had been tricked into it.

How funny! So far, he’s not been interested in jumping up to the counter top for the sink or tub..and we don’t want to start it now. He has other places and perches where he goes to watch the birds and wildlife out the windows.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
SuefromTN SuefromTN - All cats will do this now and then, but you have a Snowshoe. They Love water in any form, and will eventually learn to turn on every faucet in the house (and leave them running). Some Snowshoe clips from YouTube:

valou999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Mittens - not a snowshoe - does EXACTLY that, dips his paw in his waterbowl then lick the water off. I got him a water fountain a few years ago and he use to drink out of it all the time but then one day, he completely lost interest with it, I have no idea why. The fountain is still in use for my other kitty, but Mittens is strictly using the plain old regular waterbowl. I guess he prefers playing with the unmoving water... It's a bit messy though...

SuefromTN SuefromTN - All cats will do this now and then, but you have a Snowshoe. They Love water in any form, and will eventually learn to turn on every faucet in the house (and leave them running). Some Snowshoe clips from YouTube: