Playing with hands

Sugar Plum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, despite many attempts to redirect Raphaela Puff's attention (and jaws!) to toys, it has become evident to me that she likely was taught to play with hands in her previous home.

She attacks, play fighting with hands, clothes, feet, etc. She doesn't stop either. She tried to gnaw my foot yesterday, gripping it with her four tiny paws. It's a bit comical, because she's so tiny; it didn't even break the skin, but I don't fancy this behaviour in an adult sized cat.

What should I do? Dangling a toy in front of her doesn't work. She just refocuses on the hand holding the toy. If you pick her up, she does this too. Not sure what to do. Maybe she has an overactive prey drive?!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Does the wand toy have something like a mouse attachment that she can put her mouth on? One way I distract my cat Peaches is throw a toy then she runs and lands in shipping trash.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Your baby is still very young and plays with you the way she would play with her siblings. Between them and her mom she would learn not to be too rough and what was not okay. So you need to do the same thing they would do. A loud yelp when she bites or a hiss when she doesn’t let go. And if she gets too feisty you pick her up and gently hold her still for a few seconds and then set her down. Mom cat would lay a paw across her or even grab her by the neck and hold her down. It is just a way of letting her know who is boss.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First off, I love, love the name Raphaela Puff. :catlove:

As for playing with your hands, here's a link to an article from the Humane Society that might be helpful:
Teach your kitten how to play nice
Great advice just can't believe articles still advocate using a spray bottle as a discipline tactic :(
If they are going to, least they could do is explain where NOT to spray it at them.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Great advice just can't believe articles still advocate using a spray bottle as a discipline tactic :(
If they are going to, least they could do is explain where NOT to spray it at them.
Thanks for pointing out that they mention using a spray bottle. I missed that when I originally read the article, and I will mention that spray bottles are not recommended from now on when I post the link to their article. I'll also post the link to the TCS article: 5 Reasons To Never Spray Water On Your Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sugar Plum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your replies! I'm sorry I haven't replied yet. My rabbits went for their annual physical shortly after I posted and one turned out to be incurably ill. He's been humanely euthanized. It's been a trying time.

maggie101 maggie101 Her toys are grab-able. I tried the toss method you describe. She really liked it! She has a chew toy. There are several others I bought, but they all turned out to have catnip. Is it true that if you give a kitten catnip, they'll pee every time they smell it as an adult? A petstore employee told me that. I'll look into the other two you mention. I may have to get them online.

susanm9006 susanm9006 Thank you for the tips! I tried the gently holding her down for a few seconds. It worked. She looked at me less like dinner.

rubysmama rubysmama Thank you; some people I know find her name amusing, but I think it suits her. Great article! I'm going to try some of their ideas. Don't worry, sivyaleah sivyaleah , I won't spray her. I want her to learn, not hate me.

She's growing, and I've switched her to the Royal Canin Mother & Babycat that someone here recommended. It's her favorite so far and she has less trouble eating it.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Don’t have a clue where the pet store person got the idea about catnip. I have always given my kittens and cat catnip. Some like it, some ignore it but no one has peed because of it.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your replies! I'm sorry I haven't replied yet. My rabbits went for their annual physical shortly after I posted and one turned out to be incurably ill. He's been humanely euthanized. It's been a trying time.

maggie101 maggie101 Her toys are grab-able. I tried the toss method you describe. She really liked it! She has a chew toy. There are several others I bought, but they all turned out to have catnip. Is it true that if you give a kitten catnip, they'll pee every time they smell it as an adult? A petstore employee told me that. I'll look into the other two you mention. I may have to get them online.

susanm9006 susanm9006 Thank you for the tips! I tried the gently holding her down for a few seconds. It worked. She looked at me less like dinner.

rubysmama rubysmama Thank you; some people I know find her name amusing, but I think it suits her. Great article! I'm going to try some of their ideas. Don't worry, sivyaleah sivyaleah , I won't spray her. I want her to learn, not hate me.

She's growing, and I've switched her to the Royal Canin Mother & Babycat that someone here recommended. It's her favorite so far and she has less trouble eating it.
One thing I like about chewy is that if you write a bad review about something they will refund you. The Cats Meow is only on Amazon and requires c batteries which sucks. There are some other brands on chewy that have great reviews but kinda loud. The ripple rug Maggie loved but I decided it was too big partly because my apt is majorly catified
P1020355.JPG

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
So, despite many attempts to redirect Raphaela Puff's attention (and jaws!) to toys, it has become evident to me that she likely was taught to play with hands in her previous home.

She attacks, play fighting with hands, clothes, feet, etc. She doesn't stop either. She tried to gnaw my foot yesterday, gripping it with her four tiny paws. It's a bit comical, because she's so tiny; it didn't even break the skin, but I don't fancy this behaviour in an adult sized cat.

What should I do? Dangling a toy in front of her doesn't work. She just refocuses on the hand holding the toy. If you pick her up, she does this too. Not sure what to do. Maybe she has an overactive prey drive?!
The Purrfect Leather Toy on Amazon is great for dragging on the floor. It does not get knotted. Maybe she is less likely to go after your hand since she is focusing on the floor. Who knows. Good luck!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise

Some people have said their cat chewed and swallowed it. But, just like any toy, keep an eye on your kitten. The thread is thick and attached good so I was surprised that happened to their cats. Not mine. They love it and I have had since January 2018

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, I'm so sorry about your rabbit. :alright: I've never had a pet rabbit, but have been following the Found Rabbit thread, and have learned that like cats, rabbits have their own personalities and quirks. RIP sweet boy. :angel3:🐇

rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama Thank you; some people I know find her name amusing, but I think it suits her. Great article! I'm going to try some of their ideas. Don't worry, sivyaleah sivyaleah sivyaleah sivyaleah , I won't spray her. I want her to learn, not hate me.
Good luck. She's still young, so should learn, plus she also has your older cat to teach her kitty manners. :catrub:

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I’m gonna go against the grain here, everyone he will tell you not to let them play with your hands. I let my cat play with my hands and this has taught her what my pain threshold is, what’s okay and what’s not. it also has helped me to gauge where she’s at. She does not bite hard very often but if she ever does it shows me that she’s either frustrated bored or upset.
she’s fully grown and has never caused any serious injury as an adult cat. When she was younger and learning she drew a bit of blood but as the teenage years past so did that.
Maybe I’m just old and rough but it helped me understand her.

canucksfan1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
could be the breed
my Tonkinese likes to chew on me and everyone she includes in her family, the vet said it could be breed specific seeing we had her since 7-8 weeks if we didnt teach her thats playful loving which we didnt.
she also hates strangers and loves to sneak attack us when we walk past her hiding spot lol

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I’m gonna go against the grain here, everyone he will tell you not to let them play with your hands.
I'm with you. I don't think it's bad to let a cat play with hands. It's up to the individual and it's also up to the cat.
It's not right to force rough play on a cat that doesn't like it.

If you do let a cat play with hands you must realize that you are going to get scratched or bitten some times.
You don't step onto a football field if you can't tolerate bumps and bruises. You don't wrestle with a cat if you can't tolerate some scratches.

If you can't accept that, don't teach your cat to play like that.

If you do teach your cat to play like that, you had better accept it.

Now, the question, here, is what to do when somebody else teaches a cat to play rough house.

That's where it gets tough.

canucksfan1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my baby wont go go full bore unless she sees me put on my 2$ gardening glove lol
i didnt start wearing the glove until i realized she really really wanted to wrestle my hand, so went out to the garage n grabbed a glove then after about 10 minutes she'd get bored n walk off happy

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Actually as an adult cat she really even leaves any marks or breaks the skin. And if she actually does hurt me, on the rare occasion, she will be more upset than I am.
Mostly it’s just Another way to interact and play apart from toys or puzzles.
I’m actually really surprised overall how intube she is with my pain threshold.