Playing or fighting?

kitcatmeow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a kitten who is 4 months old, and just got another kitten who is 7weeks. I am not sure if they are playing or if my bigger kitten is being mean. They sniff each other and don't hiss, but the bigger one (Max) woll pounce on the little one (Ollie) he holds him down and bites him or scratches him with his back feet. Sometimes Ollie with cry but not always, however when I break them up Ollie doesn't run off, sometimes when they break up on their own he will take off and Max will go after him. I haven't really seen Ollie go after Max though. Max is very playful in general and pretty wild at times so fist I thought he was just playing rough but I don't really know now. I have been keeping Ollie in another room, he was out for a little while with Max and I get nervous that Ollie will get hurt so I give up and separate them, but then Ollie cries to be let out of the other room. Which makes me think he can't be too bothered by it. Max is neutered by the way. I found out that my mom was in the hospital the day after I got the kitten so I've been a bit distracted and maybe not as patience with this as I could be. Oh and we have only had the new kitten for 2 days.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Some people say that even with kittens, it's good to do an introduction process although I must say in my experience kittens normally just get on with it. My experience has been with my own, when I do a gradual introduction, and in shelters where they don't have that luxury. 

What you're describing to me sounds like typical kitten behaviour; they can seem as though they're going to kill each other, but it's just kitten play.  A sixteen week old kitten is a fair bit bigger and stronger than a seven week old, though.  Since you've only had him for two days I would just try a more gradual introduction and when they are together, keep a close eye on the little one for scratches, bite marks etc.

There are people on this site who know a lot more than me.. hopefully they'll join in soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitcatmeow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was kind of thinking that the little one is just too small to keep up, and that it will be better when he is bigger. The little one has gone after the bigger one a few times since I posted, and he was hiding under the stool and the bigger one was on top but they were both pawing and seemed to be playing. I started watching closer and it looks like the bigger one could bite much harder if he wanted to. I will just keep them apart when we are not around, and separate them if they get too rough.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
That, 'biting much hard if he wanted to' is a really good observation.  They seem to just know how far to go.

This is my girl playfighting with my boy.  Really scary looking, but she didn't harm him at all.

I think keeping them apart when you're not around is a good way to go.

Last edited:

helsic

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They're playing! but older brother is obviously stronger and little brother has hard time keeping up with the rough play!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitcatmeow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone, they are able to walk around and leave each other alone, and they even have no issue sharing a water bowl. So this has all eased my mind a little. I will stil keep the, apart while we aren't home, until Ollie is a little bigger, just to be safe.