Playing In Litter Box, Taking Poop Out And Knocking Around Like A Ball

xenaandzelda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just got two kittens, they are sisters they are getting along fine but just recently one started to remove balls of poop out of litter box and bats it around.
why on earth is this happening and what can I do, I clean it out daily. change it completely once a week.
I did make a bad choice and purchase a litter that is very fine but does clump.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens! I would surround the litterbox with real toys in the hopes she may not feel she needs to make her own. For a while I would try to get the litterbox scooped as soon as she goes so she has less time to make toys.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Goodness! I agree with susanm9006 susanm9006 - try the toys (perhaps, little balls - haha; maybe even ones that make a little noise?) close by the litter box and scoop ASAP. When you have time, show us a pic of them and let us know their names!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Please don't think I'm being rude but when I initially read the title of your post a big grin came across my face. ;) Although not the same but we had two kittens quite a long time ago who used our floor plants as a litter box so I share your pain.

Do you have more than one litter box? The rule of thumb is to have at least one box for each cat plus one. Please refer to this helpful Article:
How Many Litterboxes Should You Have?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Peaches would play in the litter box and shoot her poo up to the handle bars. Only lasted a couple of days

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xenaandzelda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please don't think I'm being rude but when I initially read the title of your post a big grin came across my face. ;) Although not the same but we had two kittens quite a long time ago who used our floor plants as a litter box so I share your pain.

Do you have more than one litter box? The rule of thumb is to have at least one box for each cat plus one. Please refer to this helpful Article:
How Many Litterboxes Should You Have?
oh just the one box. I don't think your being rude at all.
I know kittens are a lot of work and a lot of fun as well. just never had them this young and i'm learning so much any advice is taken

xenaandzelda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Goodness! I agree with susanm9006 susanm9006 - try the toys (perhaps, little balls - haha; maybe even ones that make a little noise?) close by the litter box and scoop ASAP. When you have time, show us a pic of them and let us know their names!
I will certainly get a photo up I have little balls with bells and omg so many other toys near by

Danglos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Archie our youngest kitten is over the top when burying his doo doo and always ends up with his feet covered in his or some one elses.

xenaandzelda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Archie our youngest kitten is over the top when burying his doo doo and always ends up with his feet covered in his or some one elses.
yes I noticed that with the gray one she really gets intense when covering her treasures. but also seems to take pride in making sure its completely covered and will not allow her sister near her until she is completed

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your story made me chuckle - kittens! :rolleyes: Saipha did the same at that age. I found a good solution - put the litter tray in a cardboard box so there's a few inches of gap between the litter tray and the box on all sides. When they try to scoop out a clump/poop to play with, it would fall into the gap. And with a kitten's short attention span, she'd get distracted by a regular toy in less than a minute. Worked perfectly, and she soon outgrew that behavior.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Your story made me chuckle - kittens! :rolleyes: Saipha did the same at that age. I found a good solution - put the litter tray in a cardboard box so there's a few inches of gap between the litter tray and the box on all sides. When they try to scoop out a clump/poop to play with, it would fall into the gap. And with a kitten's short attention span, she'd get distracted by a regular toy in less than a minute. Worked perfectly, and she soon outgrew that behavior.
Love this solution!

xenaandzelda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ok so now these two are taring up my house all night. I wont let them in my bedroom because they will climb all over my face during the night ant attack my feet.
am I wrong should I let them in my room.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
It helps to play with them before bed though my at Maggie,7 yrs old, still likes to play at night which is normal for cats . She would also crawl all over my face and bite my toes as a kitten but it eventually stopped. Sometimes I shut the door at night and open it back up later when she's cooled down

Danglos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It helps to play with them before bed though my at Maggie,7 yrs old, still likes to play at night which is normal for cats . She would also crawl all over my face and bite my toes as a kitten but it eventually stopped. Sometimes I shut the door at night and open it back up later when she's cooled down
Maggie is right. The kittens are bored and need play. She's helped me find some great toys on another thread so check out: Growling Cat Play?

I think my kittens needed an individual workout to tire out their energy but then they go to sleep like good boys and have stopped meow/calling all night so we can get a few hours peace and quiet! I once let Archie into our bed and he was awful biting covers and skittish. Milo wasn't too bad but still I think it led to a disturbed sleep and cats have free run of the ground and middle floor apart from the kids bedroom so they settle wherever they like.

Yesterday was funny. Milo climbed up behind me, clawed my head back then appeared to be grooming me lol!