Playing fetch

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My now almost three year old used to a lot when he was around six months to a year and a half. Now not so much but will occasionally drop a toy by me to throw.
He used to go back and forth with his valerian fish for me to throw. He loved it.
Sometimes he would play fetch with a little squishy ball as well.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first cat, K.C. played fetch all the time. He was better at playing fetch than any dog I ever had. :)

My guess for the reason why is because the cat wants to chase and "kill" the toy. The return is probably because of cats' instinct to bring food back to the family like the way a mother cat teaches her kittens to hunt. Plus, the cat knows that, if she returns the toy to her humans and they'll throw it again so that she can chase it some more.

leo feliz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat cases his tail (like a dog) nd i throw him a ball

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think its somewhat rare to be fully dog like about it. More common to play fetch "the cat way," which is that maybe they bring it mostly to you a couple of times, if they feel like it. I've had cats that would play fetch the cat way at points in there lives, but never the truly dog-like fetch.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Neko-chan plays fetch with my husband, but not me. I guess I don't do it right. If she brings him one of her balls and he doesn't notice, she'll tap him on his foot (no claws) to get him to throw it.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of mine played fetch for a while when he was growing up, but hasn't for years.

Maggiez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I play fetch with my boy Loki with the spiral toy and he loves it so much. He would fetch it and drop it in front of me again and again. My girl Pen Pen can catch but she does not bring it back lol They are still young, a bit over 1 year's old. Not sure how long this will last but I enjoy it a lot :)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have taught all of my cats to play fetch. Some caught on to the game immediately and others took weeks or months. Its a matter of patience, repetition and finding the toy that they enjoy fetching.