Playing fetch

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know lots of dogs play fetch but do cats normally play fetch? Oliver will bring his toy mouse to me, I'll toss it across the room, he'll attack it and bring it back to me, dropping it right in my hand. I can repeat this endlessly. Do kittens normally do this?

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A small percentage will play fetch. Most kittens will look at you like "Why did you throw it if you wanted it? Go fetch it yourself."

Last edited:

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
my cats do that too sometimes. I don't know if its really playing fetch...i feel like its more of a "i want you to play with me"

i will play with my cats and their toys. but once i get up and walk away, they both stop and look at me like "why did you stop?" and they bring their toys to me or leave it on the floor and come to me cus they want to continue playing.

If i randomly throw something and expect them to fetch, they just look at me like i'm crazy and ignore me. lol

Cats can entertain themselves for hours, but they really love the interaction they get from their humans. =)

barbh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have had numerous cats who will play fetch. Riley use to when he was younger. Taz does, he will bring his toy to me and either drop it in my lap, on the floor next to me, sometimes he will hold on to it until I put my hand out. Once I have the toy in hand he will watch me, waiting for me to throw it. Once thrown he will go get it, bring it back to me and repeat until either he or I tire of the game. Last night Sheldon my 3 year old kitten started playing fetch. Lots of praise was given to him, the boyfriend probably thought I was crazy.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

I know lots of dogs play fetch but do cats normally play fetch? Oliver will bring his toy mouse to me, I'll toss it across the room, he'll attack it and bring it back to me, dropping it right in my hand. I can repeat this endlessly. Do kittens normally do this?
Awww, lucky you, how fun!!  

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have had numerous cats who will play fetch. Riley use to when he was younger. Taz does, he will bring his toy to me and either drop it in my lap, on the floor next to me, sometimes he will hold on to it until I put my hand out. Once I have the toy in hand he will watch me, waiting for me to throw it. Once thrown he will go get it, bring it back to me and repeat until either he or I tire of the game. Last night Sheldon my 3 year old kitten started playing fetch. Lots of praise was given to him, the boyfriend probably thought I was crazy.
my boyfriend thinks i'm crazy too when i praise my kitties. especially when i praise them for pooping in the kitty litter (my cats r 4 and 2 months old and recently adopted). but the praises work!! i haven't had any accident in my home thank god **knock on wood**

barbh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I meant Sheldon is 3 months old, not years lol. Thinking I need to drink some more coffee :D

ktm3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ty plays fetch, but his sister, Weezy does not.  As he's gotten older, he doesn't play it as much anymore, but when he was a kitten, he would want to do it all the time.  He's picky about what toys he will fetch, though.

fluffybeard

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wish Sebastian would learn to play fetch! One of his favorite games is the chase after a stuffed turtle I throw across the room and tackle it in a somersault. But he never will bring it back. I have to get up and get it each time to throw it again for him.

Oh well, guess it's good exercise for me! :D

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just be glad they don't do like Sugar sometimes does. She will "drown" one of her mice in the water bowl, then jump up on me and drop the soggy thing on me. She once dropped it right beside my head when I was sleeping. Waking up to a wet mouse an inch from your face is not a fun thing, but she thought it was funny, I guess.

ktm3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
catpaws:  As horrible as I'm sure it is to wake up next to a wet mouse, your story made me smile.  Gotta love it!!!

Ty likes to bring the fishing/wand toys in to our bedroom at night to play.  He will come in growling a little bit and carrying it in his mouth and then drop it on top of us on the bed.  Sometimes, he doesn't wake us up, and we'll wake up to toys in our bed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, thanks for sharing all of your stories. I have a lot of fun playing with him. And depending on where in the room I throw it, it's different. Over the back of the couch, he almost flips to get to it. If it toss it to his cat tree or the cat scratcher lounge he refuses to use, he'll turn to his back and grab it that way. Too funny. 

He hasn't drown the mouse yet, but he did wake me up last night as he jumped onto my bed, clipping the area between my eyes with his claw. That's been fun to explain all day!

[Edit] I should note that my couch is in the middle of the room (I live in a loft apartment in a converted cotton mill), so my living room is huge! So the dining area is behind the couch, not a wall!

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

catpaws:  As horrible as I'm sure it is to wake up next to a wet mouse, your story made me smile.  Gotta love it!!!

Ty likes to bring the fishing/wand toys in to our bedroom at night to play.  He will come in growling a little bit and carrying it in his mouth and then drop it on top of us on the bed.  Sometimes, he doesn't wake us up, and we'll wake up to toys in our bed.
By now, she has done it enough that I just throw the mouse and go back to sleep.

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Eeew, I hate stepping on wet mice in my bare feet! Haven't had one on my pillow, though.

Frannie played fetch just like a dog when she was young and her favorite thing to chase were tin foil balls.

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

By now, she has done it enough that I just throw the mouse and go back to sleep.
See, that doesn't work for me. That's where the fetching thing is a problem, I suppose. As he just runs back with it so I'll toss it again! And those claws are sharp, so when he's pouncing around the bed playing with his toy, I get claws poking through the comforter into my legs!

barbh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Catspaw66 I haven't had a wet mouse dropped on my pillow yet, but have had more than one dropped in my lap while watching tv. Definitly don't want Sugar telling Taz about that trick :D

LaraLove, had my own scratches to explain at work tonight on my forearm. Was my fault, got the wrong angle with da bird, the feather came towards my forearm and Sheldon launched and glanced off the side of my arm. Especially with the kittens in the house I expect to have marks on my body for a while ;)

chloeg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I now have 4 kittens ranging from 11 months to 6 weeks.The eldest doesnt like chasing anything but loves her string and tunnels.The 2 youngest love chasing and playing with any ball.But my 2nd started at  3 months ,he's now 9 months,loves playing fetch.

However he doesnot fetch just any toy,only a4 white paper balls.and he doesnt seem to get tired.If Im fast asleep he will bring a paper ball drop it next to my head and start chattering ten to the dozen,untill I open my eyes and throw the ball.If I throw anything else,expecting him to fetch,he just sits in front of the toy and looks at me like Im crazy.Hes very vocal and persistent when he wants to play .I thoroughly enjoy his antics,even when he disturbs my sleep.

chloeg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I now have 4 kittens ranging from 11 months to 6 weeks.The eldest doesnt like chasing anything but loves her string and tunnels.The 2 youngest love chasing and playing with any ball.But my 2nd started at  3 months ,he's now 9 months,loves playing fetch.

However he doesnot fetch just any toy,only a4 white paper balls.and he doesnt seem to get tired.If Im fast asleep he will bring a paper ball drop it next to my head and start chattering ten to the dozen,untill I open my eyes and throw the ball.If I throw anything else,expecting him to fetch,he just sits in front of the toy and looks at me like Im crazy.Hes very vocal and persistent when he wants to play .I thoroughly enjoy his antics,even when he disturbs my sleep.

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I haven't tried aluminum foil balls yet. A friend of mine told me that was always her cat's favorite. He currently will only fetch his white mouse, which came with him from his foster home.