Play Rehabilitation?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Clyde is an 8 pound 3 year old. His adopted older sister recently passed. He didn't get a lot of obvious benefit from her being in the house, they did not play because she was one of those older cats that can never seem to learn how to relate to a younger playful cat. In addition to losing his big sister, I'm trying to transition him to indoor only so that we can get a kitten at some point without the risk of the kitten getting out. Also, "mean grey kitty" is back, and he got a decent size scratch on his back a week ago. Last night I went out in my boxers and rescued him at 4 am. So yeah, indoor only.

The problem is that the outdoor has long been his fun happy place. He loves us all, me especially, but we don't really play with him. He just didn't seem to need or want it. When he feels frisky, he goes out and chases something. Its like he has forgotten how to play with humans. I'll use the cat charmer and for 5 seconds he'll jump and seem excited, and then he lands and goes over to the food bowl. Same with the laser pointer. Its almost like he is no longer used to jumping like that and he is like "wait, what the heck am I doing?" He did better with a crinkled piece of paper -- we played for a solid five minutes before he got bored. I don't think there is any health issue. When he feels like it he flies.

Anyone been in a similar situation?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I haven't been in a similar situation, but from reading my posts, I'm sure you know that I'm a big advocate in keeping cats inside only. This is prompted by the memory of having a less than 1 year old beloved kitten killed by a car, and another cat coming home with her leg all scraped up, back when I was a teen. Cats may have a happier life being inside/outside, but they usually have a longer life as inside only.

Hopefully other members will reply who've been in a similar situation with their cat(s). Meanwhile, though I realize you probably have already seen all these TCS articles, I'll post the links to the ones I think could be helpful.

The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside | TheCatSite
How To Prevent Your Cat From Darting Out The Door | TheCatSite

How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats) | TheCatSite

Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (including 10 Actionable Tips) | TheCatSite
Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know | TheCatSite
7 Proven Ways To Get Your Cat To Be More Active | TheCatSite

17 Best Toys For Lazy Cats | TheCatSite

And because I always ask, do you have pics of Clyde you can post? :camera:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Along with the above Articles I thought you might be interested in reading this thread about how to build a catio enclosure:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you both. I think we might just move ahead with getting a kitten. It is kind of soon after the loss of Rockie, but it might help Clyde a lot. He just gets so miserable if not allowed out.

And yes, I know indoors is better...but when we rescued Rocky, she just never adapted well to the literbox. It got to the point where we couldn't keep her if she was indoors only. And we live in a pretty safe area for it. Absent the occasional problem with other cats, which was usually helped by my cats cowardice. We let Clyde be indoor/outdoor because it seemed to make sense for both cats to be on the same track.

Last edited:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New kitten obtained! She adjusted to her new humans and safe room so quickly! Since our three year old is not an intimidator, we gave an early intro a try, and neither cat was sure. Some puffy tails, and the little girl growling (hysterical) but we've tried a few more times since then and its progressing fine, going to be at least toleration soon, maybe buddies as we are hoping. So thats great! . . . however, Clyde is still *incredibly* bored and desperate to go outside, so I hope they end up playing.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, pics soon! Can't now because she is sleepy! I don't think I've ever adopted a 10 week old before, I didn't realize that very young kittens sleep 20 hours a day (says google). I've only ever had kittens a little older that maybe did the 16 hours -- i.e. awake twice as much. This is so much more low key, but I guess it wont last long.

This morning she was active and for the first time tried to approach Clyde via the sideways walk that cats sometimes do. So cute! Didn't go well, but Clyde has never done anything other than make noise and retreat. Not a single swat. And he is very curious at times despite his verbal protests, staying in the kitten's room for a while voluntarily several times. So I still think they will be friends rather than get to mere toleration.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... she sounds adorable. :hearthrob: Can't wait to see her. :lovecat3:

And I'm sure you've seen these, but just in case ...

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here she is!

Yes, I definitely varied from the slow and sure approach. Felt comfortable doing it because my older cat is a gentle soul. And it doesn't always take a lengthy formal process when the newcomer is a kitten.

The toy is a car charmer tied around a catnip mouse.

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... what a beauty. :hearthrob: I hope she and your older cat become best friends. :catlove: