Play Biting

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My new cat 2/3 years old sometimes likes to play bite and use his claws, not aggressively but they are a little sharp. I have been clipping them slowly when he is sleepy.
We have had him less than two weeks and he is feeling a bit more confident I suppose and the play biting is coming out more.
My response has been to say no and then get an alternative toy, such as a stuffed rabbit he can bite and wrestle with.
Any other suggestions?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe I need to wait a bit and rather than redirect immediately I should ignore him for a bit then bring an appropriate toy? I am not sure if saying no then showing him a toy (that is not me) may confuse him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok, he is still pretty new so will keep it up. Also I think catnip may make him a but feistier.

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
using wand toys to make sure there's a distance between you and the play object also helps, praising and rewarding acceptable play with treats will help to reinforce the NO as well. :)

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wand toys, tying a ribbon to the small stuffed toys so you can drag them. Also if he uses his teeth or claws you want to say NO or OW! and the play stops. Some people stopped it for a few seconds. I stopped the play completely and ignored my cats for 5 minutes when they did it.