Plastic water fountain and automatic feeder

NabilBen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello catsite fam
I hope all is well with you as well as the kitties.
I need your opinion about something. I tend to have a busy schedule during the winter flights so I might have layovers, night stops, late flights... And I am afraid I will miss my cat's feeding schedule. So I thought of buying an automatic feeder and a water fountain. However, again here in Morocco, the only available option is plastic unfortunately and I've red online that it can be bad. Therefore am literally lost.
Attached are the 2 items.
I already bought the water fountain. And boy my cat got scared and refused to come anyway near the fountain.
What do you think about plastic? And how to get him used to them?
Thank you very much
16142626358543.jpg
71hW07TnLbL._AC_SL1368_.jpg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello catsite fam
I hope all is well with you as well as the kitties.
I need your opinion about something. I tend to have a busy schedule during the winter flights so I might have layovers, night stops, late flights... And I am afraid I will miss my cat's feeding schedule. So I thought of buying an automatic feeder and a water fountain. However, again here in Morocco, the only available option is plastic unfortunately and I've red online that it can be bad. Therefore am literally lost.
Attached are the 2 items.
I already bought the water fountain. And boy my cat got scared and refused to come anyway near the fountain.
What do you think about plastic? And how to get him used to them?
Thank you very muchView attachment 398219View attachment 398220
Plastic can cause or exacerbate feline acne, but we're on our second Drinkwell basic cat fountain, which is plastic, with only good effects. I also keep 3 plastic bowls which I fill with water every day for them. Again, only good effects. Their food dishes are stainless steel; the brand is Bowl Buddies and they are made in India. I bought them from Petco quite awhile ago.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NabilBen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I'll buy them and hopefully get only good results too. Any idea how to stop him from getting afraid of the water fountain?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I'll buy them and hopefully get only good results too. Any idea how to stop him from getting afraid of the water fountain?
Is he? We have not had this experience. Our fountain is pretty quiet. But if your cat is scared, the only thing I know is that he will become used to the sound in time. You might try imitating drinking from it yourself a few times when he is watching, so he will get the idea that it is safe to approach and use...just a thought.
I know this is a US business but I'm sharing the link so you can see an alternative to a fountain for cats who are scared of the noise or movement but still deserve fresh, clean water:
pet fountain water circulating bowl

Last edited:

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Delilah was afraid of the first fountain she was given. It was the Catit and it was bigger than her. She wouldn't go near the spot (even after I took it away) for 2 days. We wound up with this fountain:

1634056665354.png

The water sliding down the back was less scary for her and she adjusted to it. It's just a pain to clean the mineral buildup. A year later, when she's not as scared, we upgraded to the Pioneer raindrop in stainless. I liked a few things better about the FreshFlow, but the Pioneer is easier to clean.

With the one you have, see if the water flow on the fountain is adjustable and it lets out a slow trickle, rather than the big splash. Delilah hates big splashes. I have her fountain at the second lowest.

As to a feeder, I have one that drops kibble on a schedule.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NabilBen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 ladytimedramon ladytimedramon
I have just bought the automatic feeder and it works perfectly. He started using it immediately as for the water fountain. He still scared of it, so I'll give him more time. Hopefully he'll adjust by next Tuesday