Plastic allergy - or something else?

Hax3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I rescued this precious baby about a month ago and she’s developed this on her chin. Some have said it’s as simple as changing her current plastic bowls to metal or ceramic, but someone mentioned something way worse.
She already has a vet appointment on the 18th, but I’m a huge worrier and just wanted more opinions.

75B27B9D-16FE-42EE-A791-7531C5BF2223.jpeg

290B222F-646C-4920-85F2-0F6A2320DE41.png
3FEC1722-2FEA-4546-BF73-A979F9999D54.png
393626B7-8434-4807-8DAD-FD8AB5B8398B.png

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hax3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Plastic allergy I’m referring to seems to be called: Feline Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Forgive me beforehand for my stupid question.
Are you sure she wasn't like this when you rescued her?

I'm asking you this because my kitten is just the same, since I have her, and I don't think at all it is caused by something, she's just this way.
Freya_20210525.jpg

The photo isn't clear, but she has this pink spot on her lower lip.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It looks like a rodent ulcer, which is a type of Feline Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex. A lot of times the cause is unknown. At a minimum, I would send a pic to your vet and ask what they would recommend for treating it. The vet might want to take a look at it, but could possibly just prescribe something based on its appearance. Here is one of many articles on the internet about rodent ulcers.
Rodent Ulcer in Cats - Cat-World

Hax3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
New development: I’ve switched out her plastic bowls after some suggested it could be that, but now this

F9834F5F-6CAD-4213-AED4-FE747E970AEF.png

Hax3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Forgive me beforehand for my stupid question.
Are you sure she wasn't like this when you rescued her?

I'm asking you this because my kitten is just the same, since I have her, and I don't think at all it is caused by something, she's just this way.
View attachment 383835
The photo isn't clear, but she has this pink spot on her lower lip.
she’s super cute! I’m pretty sure she didn’t have it prior

Maruna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I noticed my cat had the same thing so I kept an eye on it for 10 days and it mostly stayed the same. It looks almost exactly like on your cat with a bump on the lower lip central. I took her to the vets today for her spay checkup and mentioned the bump and the vet said she thinks it’s where the top teeth are hitting the lower lip. She said she doesn’t think it’s of any concern and just to keep an eye on it that it doesn’t become larger or more inflamed. My cat uses melamine bowls which I’ve read are safe for cats, unlike plastic.
My picture doesn’t show it very well but when her mouth is open it’s a visible bump.

Attachments

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I rescued this precious baby about a month ago and she’s developed this on her chin. Some have said it’s as simple as changing her current plastic bowls to metal or ceramic, but someone mentioned something way worse.
She already has a vet appointment on the 18th, but I’m a huge worrier and just wanted more opinions.

View attachment 383816
View attachment 383817View attachment 383818View attachment 383819
what a cutie. has she seen a vet yet for a complete ck up? it is the only way to know for sure. is it interferring with her eating? i would think yes and painful which may mean she is not getting the proper nourishment and that is dangerous.

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i only use the small corning ware . i scoured garage sales for them now i have a stack that i can use and put in dishwasher so she always has clean ones. pls let us know what the vet says! i am curious as i have never seen this.

Hax3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
what a cutie. has she seen a vet yet for a complete ck up? it is the only way to know for sure. is it interferring with her eating? i would think yes and painful which may mean she is not getting the proper nourishment and that is dangerous.
not yet, they couldn’t get her in til the 18th, but she’s eating fine! Eats a can of wet food and dry food daily

Hax3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i only use the small corning ware . i scoured garage sales for them now i have a stack that i can use and put in dishwasher so she always has clean ones. pls let us know what the vet says! i am curious as i have never seen this.
will do. I may end up taking her to ER vet Bc of recent development...I think it might be infected. She’s eating and acting like normal, but I’d rather not risk anything

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It looks like a rodent ulcer, which is a type of Feline Granuloma Complex. A lot of times the cause is unknown. At a minimum, I would send a pic to your vet and ask what they would recommend for treating it. The vet might want to take a look at it, but could possibly just prescribe something based on its appearance. Here is one of many articles on the internet about rodent ulcers.
do they remove it?my cat had Feline Eosinophilic Gastrointestinal Sclerosing Fibroplasia (FGESF) so everytime i see that word Eosinophilic my heart races! i am grateful she is alive!

Hax3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The ER vet is only taking critical cases right now and they said she’s not critical (I don’t think she is either, to clarify, but just worried).

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hax3 Hax3 -
It looks like a rodent ulcer, which is a type of Feline Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex. A lot of times the cause is unknown. At a minimum, I would send a pic to your vet and ask what they would recommend for treating it. The vet might want to take a look at it, but could possibly just prescribe something based on its appearance. Here is one of many articles on the internet about rodent ulcers.
I am guessing that if it looks infected, it is going to open up much like an abscess.

Hax3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Currently:
4D8821B6-6EEB-427F-89ED-24CCE8608570.jpeg

Hax3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wanted to give you all an update! Dr. said it looks like some type of edema and to just monitor it, and that it usually doesn’t bother the cat. It may be from plastic and has gotten much better since changing her bowls to ceramic. Luna is thriving and is as cute as ever!
E18E3C7F-0389-4666-BB1B-6B683626423E.jpeg

Hax3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, still improving. Recent update of the cute little angel
F1AB0FB0-97F3-417F-91A5-0531795AAF3F.jpeg

11910C87-AD9B-473F-A8EC-313E89239732.jpeg