Plasma Cell Pododermatitis

cbrown540

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty Fez has recently been diagnosed with Plasma Cell Pododermatitis and I was wondering if anybody else had any experience with this autoimmune disease.  He has a cracking and bleeding paw and I just changed up his food to an all-natural type because I read that it may get worse with allergies, but it will take a while for the poor guys paws to get better.  The first time I took him to the vet about it they prescribed him Prednisone for ten days but when i called after the ten days were up they said to just watch out for him...so as a pet parent that does not know much about this disease I took to the internet.  I have read and read and read about it, but there is apparently "no cure."  My baby boy is almost eleven years old and just in this recent year has been diagnosed.  I am trying my best to do what I can to make him comfortable, but I am just curious to see if anybody else has dealt with this, and how they have.  I am trying to figure out which litter to change to for his sensitive paws, so I guess it is trial and error time!  I also have two other kitties that share the litter boxes so I need something that is cost effective as well as odor blocking.  Either way, any information is helpful!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know we have had a few people here who have had kitties with it, they usually use the less scientific term pillow foot.  Hopefully someone who has or is dealing with it is still active.  From what I have seen here it is like many autoimmune disorders which means there is no set course the disease takes.  Some kitties have had a spontaneous recovery for it to never return, others have kitties who have flares that are treated with a steroid as needed.  Some kitties unfortunately seem to stay symptomatic.

Hopefully someone with personal experience will be along to post.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I have had 2 kitties with this condition. One is a personal and one is in the rescue.

Lucky (my soon to be 17 yr old) has it on his left front paw. His paw cracks and swells, but has never bled. He is one that benefitted from a diet change. In fact, the swelling nearly completely subsided when put on a grain/gluten-free diet. The diet change was done to combat IBD, however, I got the unexpected surprise of his paw pad improving as well. Though, really, it does make sense as inflammation affects both conditions.

Leo is 10 and came into our rescue about 5 months ago. He (like all our rescues) was put on a high protein, low carb grain-free diet (Nature's Variety limited ingredient turkey formula). His front paws were HORRIBLE when we got him. Swollen, bloody and terrible infection. Our first goal was to get the infection under control, so antibiotics were started. Over the course of 3 mo he was on Orbax, Doxycycline and Pred with very minimal improvement. We did biopsies to confirm diagnosis and, in doing so, removed all the afflicted tissue from his right front foot, we really expected the area to dehiscence. Surprisingly, it didn't and the wound healed up beautifully. We waited about 3 weeks to make sure the right foot was doing well before we decided to do the same procedure to the left (worse) pad. Luckily, we have had the same results.

We are now 4 weeks out from the last surgery and it has been a wait and see game to see if anything comes back. So far, so good.

Here are pics of Leo's before and after:

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@cbrown540, I'm so sorry Fez has this frustrating condition. Unlike CatPack, I do not have direct experience with it, but have read up on it from time to time. Most of what I read says that vets often first try doxycycline, an antibiotic with immunomodulating properties.

I came across these case studies some time ago. Both report positive results. Although they are dated (2002 and 2003), perhaps it might spark some treatment ideas with your vet:

http://www.revmedvet.com/2002/RMV153_311_314.pdf

http://www.2ndchance.info/egc-Bettenay2003.pdf

I just came across this paper today and found it easy to follow. Although written by an "amateur", everything is referenced:

http://www.cvm.msstate.edu/images/pdfs/8.3.12 Feline Plasma Cell Pododermatitis Ryan Black.pdf

Also, have you considered consulting with a holistic vet or one that specializes in Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine? You can do a search here www.tcvm.com and many offer remote consultations as long as you are working closely with a local vet. In my opinion, it doesn't hurt to talk to someone with a different perspective.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cbrown540

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so much. I will have to get back to you guys after I read those articles. Fez started a grain free diet yesterday as well as an all natural pine litter. I am also going to soak his paws every day in lukewarm water and clean them and apply a healing lotion until I see results. I will keep you all updated. Thanks again!

isobel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My husband and I adopted 3 torties from a shelter only 4 weeks ago.  2 are litter-mates only 5 1/2 weeks old.  The other is 1 1/2.  All three get along wonderfully and have stolen our hearts.  Bringing them in we inherited 3 severe cases of diarrhea.  Being in a shelter prior, we thought a quality diet and nice quiet home would remedy this.  A trip to the vet with stool samples came up negative for parasites, so the vet started them on a probiotic (proviable).  Not seeing results after the first week, they were treated with Albon, and then Panacur, for parsites that are not normally detected.  They all still seemed to have pretty runny stool, so after reading online I've just begun a grain free diet of both dry and wet food.  I am also giving them some fresh minced chicken and ground turkey with pumpkin (cooked, not raw).  They are kept in a CLEAN environment, litter pan is changed daily and scooped on a regular basis.  But back to the post on Plasma Cell Pododermatitis....I noticed today my Isobel (tiniest of the 5 1/2 month old litter) has what appears to be a swollen, ulcerated pad on one of her rear paws.  I originally thought perhaps it was a callus, but in looking at it closer it is "scabby" and definitely swollen.  I am super concerned at this point and bringing her to the vet 1st thing in the morning.  Also, her diarrhea is the worst of all the babies and she's hardly gaining weight.  I've read many articles on this today, and read it could be linked to FIV or Feline Leukemia.  Although all of the 3 were vaccinated, I am worried.  :-(  Other than the chronic diarrhea, and now the affected paw pad on Isobel, the three are alert, eating well, and full of energy at play time.  The recent adoption filled our home with happiness again after we lost the last of our feline family 2 months ago from renal failure.  The previous kitties were with us for 24 years (all healthy!) and I am so afraid of a serious health problem with these 3 sweeties at such a young age.    I was relieved to read that the grain free diet seemed to be helping the IBS and the infected paw pad.  Would you share what grain free foods you are using?   Thank you for any advice or information you have.   Jackie

H.wayettii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so much. I will have to get back to you guys after I read those articles. Fez started a grain free diet yesterday as well as an all natural pine litter. I am also going to soak his paws every day in lukewarm water and clean them and apply a healing lotion until I see results. I will keep you all updated. Thanks again!
... please update, I would really like to know how Fez is doing

Sadee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 7 year old cat has pillow foot, he got diagnosed at 6 years old. He started out on predisone, which he was on for 6+ months, which did nothing to help him, and I regret the long term steroid use. About a month in they did a biopsy to confirm his diagnose, they never mentioned anything about fiv, or anything. He finally got prescribed doxycycline and it worked like nothing, it took a month and a half of pills to get his paws looking 80% better. This mostly affected his back paws, they looked dry and cracked, his toes swole up, eventually opening and getting infected. His doctor told me to use small animal bedding instead of regular cat litter, because it will prevent infections in case his paws swell and open again. My babies paws will most likely never be normal, but his paws are the best they've looked since last year. He has 2 toes that still look swolen, but they are not filled with pus, and not causing him any sort of pain. His doctor told me that they can flare up anytime, rather thats next week, 5 years, or never again. I wish I had pictures but he dislikes me touching his back legs, which is understandable.

ineedhelpnow

I love FURBABIES!
Young Cat
Purraise
If your kitty has PCP make sure they're screened for FIV if they're unvaccinated.

If they developed PCP after their vaccines and have been kept up to date with necessary boosters, then there is no reason to worry about FIV.

Here is a good source with accurate information on feline PCP.
Feline Plasma Cell Pododermatitis: My Cat Has a Sore Paw

Good luck!!

H.wayettii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 7 year old cat has pillow foot, he got diagnosed at 6 years old. He started out on predisone, which he was on for 6+ months, which did nothing to help him, and I regret the long term steroid use. About a month in they did a biopsy to confirm his diagnose, they never mentioned anything about fiv, or anything. He finally got prescribed doxycycline and it worked like nothing, it took a month and a half of pills to get his paws looking 80% better. This mostly affected his back paws, they looked dry and cracked, his toes swole up, eventually opening and getting infected. His doctor told me to use small animal bedding instead of regular cat litter, because it will prevent infections in case his paws swell and open again. My babies paws will most likely never be normal, but his paws are the best they've looked since last year. He has 2 toes that still look swolen, but they are not filled with pus, and not causing him any sort of pain. His doctor told me that they can flare up anytime, rather thats next week, 5 years, or never again. I wish I had pictures but he dislikes me touching his back legs, which is understandable.
oh my dear! I’m so sorry to hear of your struggle... I hope he continues to just improve and never have another flare up!
...after yesterday’s vet visit, we’re pretty sure my Francie does not have the pododermatitis, rather it may be an allergic reaction to her litter, which is the Blue Buffalo walnut shell litter that I have been using with Dr. Elseys plain clay litter... it’s too bad, really...because it does an excellent job of keeping odor down...so I eliminated the Blue Buffalo immediately, replacing it with Yesterday’s News and Feline Pine.(trying in two different litter boxes to see if she has a preference) She doesn’t think too much of it yet..very different texture, smell, everything...but her symptoms have reduced a lot, so we’re encouraged.
I used to go completely overboard worrying about stuff...especially my kitties, and I’ve had many in my 69 years...but I’m finding in my later years, to rest, to trust and to let go...I’m not very good at this yet, but getting there. I know when I’m torked and all concerned I can’t hear God’s voice directing me, then I inevitably choose the harder more difficult way...but if I can just get quite for a few moments and breathe, remember His faithfulness throughout my life...then, I can hear that still quiet voice, and I know all will be well.
No preaching, hopefully no offense... but I’m praying all will be well with you and your sweet little guy

H.wayettii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
oh my dear! I’m so sorry to hear of your struggle... I hope he continues to just improve and never have another flare up!
...after yesterday’s vet visit, we’re pretty sure my Francie does not have the pododermatitis, rather it may be an allergic reaction to her litter, which is the Blue Buffalo walnut shell litter that I have been using with Dr. Elseys plain clay litter... it’s too bad, really...because it does an excellent job of keeping odor down...so I eliminated the Blue Buffalo immediately, replacing it with Yesterday’s News and Feline Pine.(trying in two different litter boxes to see if she has a preference) She doesn’t think too much of it yet..very different texture, smell, everything...but her symptoms have reduced a lot, so we’re encouraged.
I used to go completely overboard worrying about stuff...especially my kitties, and I’ve had many in my 69 years...but I’m finding in my later years, to rest, to trust and to let go...I’m not very good at this yet, but getting there. I know when I’m torked and all concerned I can’t hear God’s voice directing me, then I inevitably choose the harder more difficult way...but if I can just get quite for a few moments and breathe, remember His faithfulness throughout my life...then, I can hear that still quiet voice, and I know all will be well.
No preaching, hopefully no offense... but I’m praying all will be well with you and your sweet little guy
One thing I meant to add for the thread... I’m also soaking her paws in lukewarm water and calendula once or twice a day to help speed healing...she thinks that’s completely unnecessary and had said as much, but I do see improvement...so soak we will. I’m using about 1/2 cup of water warmed, and 1/2 dropper organic calendula tincture. BTW, a good resource book on how to soak cat paws, as well as lots of other great info is The New Natural Cat by Anitra Frazier... great resource book, I’ve referred to it for years and find it still very contemporary...all the best

RainOnMe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitty Fez has recently been diagnosed with Plasma Cell Pododermatitis and I was wondering if anybody else had any experience with this autoimmune disease. He has a cracking and bleeding paw and I just changed up his food to an all-natural type because I read that it may get worse with allergies, but it will take a while for the poor guys paws to get better. The first time I took him to the vet about it they prescribed him Prednisone for ten days but when i called after the ten days were up they said to just watch out for him...so as a pet parent that does not know much about this disease I took to the internet. I have read and read and read about it, but there is apparently "no cure." My baby boy is almost eleven years old and just in this recent year has been diagnosed. I am trying my best to do what I can to make him comfortable, but I am just curious to see if anybody else has dealt with this, and how they have. I am trying to figure out which litter to change to for his sensitive paws, so I guess it is trial and error time! I also have two other kitties that share the litter boxes so I need something that is cost effective as well as odor blocking. Either way, any information is helpful!
Hi there! I know your post was from a few years ago, but hoping you still see this. My vet believes that my kitty has the same thing, and he's going to do two rounds of steroid treatments. How has Fez been? Do you have any advice or experiences you can share? Will take any tips I can get. Thanks so much!!