Plasma cell pododermatitis OR pemphigus folacious??

georgesgirl01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 1 yr old, Boo, has some funky paw pads. Very crusty, licks them non stop, and won't let me touch them much. I can tell she's super uncomfortable. Vet thinks plasma cell pododermatitis, BUT she also gets tiny bumps in ears and little pink/crust spots on belly around nipples. Hate to disagree with the doc! But I'm leaning towards pemphigus folacious.
Anyway... looking for anyone with similar diagnoses and possible relief strategies. Any ideas? Doc is giving doxycycline but got diarrhea, had to stop but started it back up again so we'll see how it goes.
He suggested biopsy but I'm so nervous. What is that like? Funny thing is this ALL started after coming back from a procedure at vets which involved anesthesia and something else to wake her up a bit. And my gut feels this may all be a reaction from something during that stay. That day she came home started seeing flakes in skin, week later the paws. So that's why I'm nervous about the biopsy. Frustrating...
Any experience with paw issues?? Can anything be used to give her relief aside from the antibiotics??
15889353043568795954198238660618.jpg

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My 1 yr old, Boo, has some funky paw pads. Very crusty, licks them non stop, and won't let me touch them much. I can tell she's super uncomfortable. Vet thinks plasma cell pododermatitis, BUT she also gets tiny bumps in ears and little pink/crust spots on belly around nipples. Hate to disagree with the doc! But I'm leaning towards pemphigus folacious.
Anyway... looking for anyone with similar diagnoses and possible relief strategies. Any ideas? Doc is giving doxycycline but got diarrhea, had to stop but started it back up again so we'll see how it goes.
He suggested biopsy but I'm so nervous. What is that like? Funny thing is this ALL started after coming back from a procedure at vets which involved anesthesia and something else to wake her up a bit. And my gut feels this may all be a reaction from something during that stay. That day she came home started seeing flakes in skin, week later the paws. So that's why I'm nervous about the biopsy. Frustrating...
Any experience with paw issues?? Can anything be used to give her relief aside from the antibiotics??View attachment 333381
Hello, sorry your girl is so uncomfortable 😣. I had a cat ( also a shorthair calico) who had one foot with puffed up pads. No peeling but some cracking. At the time they said it was the first thing you mentioned and nothing could be done.
She had babies, long story,and disappeared when they were 6 months.she was and in&out cat who hunted. We keep 4 out of 5 babies.
They are 4years this month one of the girls has the puffy pads,I recently read about the doxycycline treatment and was going to try it. She has bald patches on her legs and belly, they are fairly new as though as her feet got worse she need to overgroom somewhere else, also so could not go out over the winter it hurt to much( not mites or anything all 5 other cats have all their fur).now to the two points I wanted to make 1) in the bald patch’s she has little lump hard almost like a wart or something ,
2) her pads are not flaky the way your picture shows really swollen to point of distorted shape cracking yes but not peeling yellow. Have you asked the vet if she might have contacted a yeast/ fungus infection in her pads.
Over the counter fungal cream as a experiment on one paw might tell you.
As a comfort not treatment we rub food grade coconut oil into our cat’s paws. Not one of her litter mates have any trouble.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Nothing to offer in terms of which condition it might be, but think you should ask the vet about why it has to be a biopsy. It would seem to me that a skin scraping would be sufficient, and is much less invasive and a lot simpler/easier.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

georgesgirl01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If she doesn't respond to.the antibiotics, he wants to get a definite on that pemphigus folacious before putting her on steroids long term, which is the treatment for that condition. I think that's his rationale anyway.

georgesgirl01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, sorry your girl is so uncomfortable 😣. I had a cat ( also a shorthair calico) who had one foot with puffed up pads. No peeling but some cracking. At the time they said it was the first thing you mentioned and nothing could be done.
She had babies, long story,and disappeared when they were 6 months.she was and in&out cat who hunted. We keep 4 out of 5 babies.
They are 4years this month one of the girls has the puffy pads,I recently read about the doxycycline treatment and was going to try it. She has bald patches on her legs and belly, they are fairly new as though as her feet got worse she need to overgroom somewhere else, also so could not go out over the winter it hurt to much( not mites or anything all 5 other cats have all their fur).now to the two points I wanted to make 1) in the bald patch’s she has little lump hard almost like a wart or something ,
2) her pads are not flaky the way your picture shows really swollen to point of distorted shape cracking yes but not peeling yellow. Have you asked the vet if she might have contacted a yeast/ fungus infection in her pads.
Over the counter fungal cream as a experiment on one paw might tell you.
As a comfort not treatment we rub food grade coconut oil into our cat’s paws. Not one of her litter mates have any trouble.
Thanks for the reply. Good idea on the coconut oil..I'll try. I happen to have some. Funny only one cat got it. Makes me think it's genetic. The vet did not think it was fungus.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are some medicated sprays- to help with itch and keep clean ; Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Hot Spot and Itch Relief Spray for Dogs and Cats – Medicated Topical Treatment for Skin Irritations and Hot Spots - Fast Acting, Heals and Soothes (8oz) Amazon.com: Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Hot Spot and Itch Relief Spray for Dogs and Cats – Medicated Topical Treatment for Skin Irritations and Hot Spots - Fast Acting, Heals and Soothes (8oz): Pet Supplies

Or vetericyn spray sold at many pet stores

georgesgirl01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are some medicated sprays- to help with itch and keep clean ; Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Hot Spot and Itch Relief Spray for Dogs and Cats – Medicated Topical Treatment for Skin Irritations and Hot Spots - Fast Acting, Heals and Soothes (8oz) Amazon.com: Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Hot Spot and Itch Relief Spray for Dogs and Cats – Medicated Topical Treatment for Skin Irritations and Hot Spots - Fast Acting, Heals and Soothes (8oz): Pet Supplies

Or vetericyn spray sold at many pet stores
Thank you! Funny, her paw pads feel so warm to me but the vet sort of brushed past that. I will try those, so long as licking the sprays won't hurt. I bought shampoo but the directions are to lather and keep it there for 5-10 min. That ain't happening, she won't let me touch them. And then it says make sure they don't lick it..my luck she'll spaz run away and lick. I will check out those sprays! thanks again!

georgesgirl01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
so the diagnosis ended up being pemphigus folacious. They did what's called a punch biopsy of several areas. Turns out, she had these "crusts" all over her body. Her belly area, her cheeks and neck, ugh. it was bad. She started predisolone therapy and within 3 days seeing a big turn around. She got really bad before the official diagnosis. Wasn't eating much, hiding, and even had a fever. She was miserable and her quality of life was nil. 3-4 days into the therapy I am starting to see the skin on her paw pads again. Marked difference! She is eating a lot (steroid increases appetite and thirst), and not hiding anymore. She is playing a little bit again, and seems so much happier already! I guess that was the right diagnosis, but the unfortunate part is that steroid therapy is usually life long. Crossing fingers side effects are minimal and we can taper down to low dose after she's in remission a while. We are lucky to have a knowledgeable vet because this condition is rare I guess. He's been awesome, so we are grateful for that.