Planning for a puppy.

felinelover2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

We adopted two very shy rescues in March of 2020 - Scotch and Whiskey. They will be 3 years old in April and have adjusted well to our house, though Scotch is definitely a true wallflower cat. Whiskey is outgoing with myself and my partner, but is scared of strangers.

Eventually, we plan to add a puppy to our household - either next year or the year after (after I stop working and have more time to spend with the dog). I am reading up on how to do the introductions, and thinking through adjustments to our home that will give kitties and puppy nice quiet places to go when needed.

We are debating on the puppy adoption process. I have a love of golden retrievers and was originally thinking of a pure-bred puppy. However, our two cats have been through a lot in their young lives already and we don't know how they will respond to a dog. I have a huge fear of adopting a new puppy, the cats being tormented/terrified and not being able to adjust. I couldn't fathom re-homing them or a new puppy.

So until we know how our cats will respond, we are thinking of perhaps starting with a foster dog instead. We can see how the cats adapt, and if everyone is happy we can always foster-fail and adopt that dog. Or, if the cats truly can't make the adjustment, the dog will still be up for adoption to a permanent home.

I guess I'm just looking for some feedback on which adoption process may be easier on the resident cats (who have no history with dogs)?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
couldn't fathom re-homing them
Why would you rehome them?

But, to answer your question, doing a foster situation could provide a lot of information, I think.

In any case, try some cat music to help ease your felines' stress now. There's MusicForCats, RelaxMyCat and also Cat in my Arms in Spotify and elsewhere :)

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agreed. I think fostering would be a great way to find out how your cats react to having a dog around. (plus help a dog in need!) Goldens tend to be very mellow, although I suppose a puppy would be different.

At the time we got our Labrador puppy, our resident cat (the one in my avatar) was fairly old (over 10 years) and didn't play or grow close with the puppy. However, she certainly stood her ground with him and wasn't afraid to swat, nor was she fearful.

Our current three cats we got when he was over a year- so fully grown (he's about 100 lbs) but still quite playful.
We got Pants when he was about 10 months old, but he was a semi-feral (if not feral) and is very shy and anxious. He's adapted fairly well to the dog, and will pretty much only run away if the dog is chasing him. Pretty much the same with our Eden (we don't know how old she is). She's a bit more fearful of him, but she will swat at him if need be. Our kitten, on the other hand, is best friends with him and they do everything together.
All that to say, I think it is most certainly possible for them to coexist peacefully with a dog, it will just take time, patience, and work. :) How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog – TheCatSite Articles
Best And Worst Dog Breeds To Live With Cats – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

felinelover2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Bella, this is very re-assuring. The more we think about it the more the fostering route makes sense.

felinelover2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Why would you rehome them?

But, to answer your question, doing a foster situation could provide a lot of information, I think.

In any case, try some cat music to help ease your felines' stress now. There's MusicForCats, RelaxMyCat and also Cat in my Arms in Spotify and elsewhere :)
No reason right now as we don't even have the dog. I'm just paranoid the cats will be miserable. Right now they are fine, actually Scotch is napping in his bed and listening to MusicForCats right now! Whiskey is wandering around but will probably settle in for a nap soon next to her brother.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My first question is, have you ever had a dog before? If so, then you know the responsibilities that come with sharing your life with a dog. I love Golden Retrievers too but since they are a sporting breed they need a good amount of exercise. If this is the breed you are settled on but not sure if you want a young puppy you may want to consider contacting a Golden Rescue group. Most purebred rescues are excellent at placing dogs and knowing something about their background including whether they are cat friendly. If you have a friend or family member with a dog who is willing to make regular visits it might help give you an idea how Scotch and Whiskey respond.

There are also many mix breeds who are part Golden Retriever and in need of a good home. Until the dog is living with you there are no guarantees how the dynamics will work out. I take dog ownership very seriously and always stress that it is a big commitment especially if you're looking into one of the medium-large breeds. I am not in any way trying to discourage you. Our last dog was a German Shepherd who coexisted with a total of three cats but not all at one time. The first cat coexisted with him, the second cat worshipped the ground he walked on and they were best friends. The third cat also coexisted and was slightly intimidated. When we adopted this dog we knew nothing about his background since the police found him wandering the streets. But having dogs before my gut told me he was a special guy. :redheartpump: I would strongly recommend getting a crate if you decide on a puppy and always have an escape route for Scotch and Whiskey as well as a safe space/room. Take your time, be thorough in checking out breeders if you go that route and talk to some different rescue groups. We are always here for advice and support. I wish you the best of luck. 🤗

Last edited:

felinelover2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Neely! Yes, I owned a wonderful sweet golden retriever for many years (raised from a puppy) and know the work they entail, which is why I'm waiting until I'm done working - so I have time to train, care for, and play with our new furbaby!

We are both fairly active and love walks, hiking, and camping so a medium-ish dog will fit right in with our lifestyle. We also have a small yard and two stories, so enough space for all our 4 kegged friends, we hope.

I like the idea of going to a golden rescue group. Will consider that! And yes, I believe in crate training dogs as well.

We are finding some high nook's to convert to a kitty lounge (that pup can't reach) so they will always have a quiet place. And the high ground which puppy may not like :)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so glad you liked the suggestion of looking into a Golden Retriever Rescue group. If you live in the U.S. here is a list by state:
Golden Retriever Rescues by State (2021) | My Golden Retriever

Also happy to hear you are a former dog owner who enjoys an active lifestyle, has a yard and believes in crate training. It sounds to me like you're ready to look for your new golden soon. 🐾 Please keep us posted.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
There are lapdogs like our shihtzus who prefer to lie down and sleep. I think this is a better breed than other more active breeds. I have 3 shihtzus and 1 poodle mix and when my cat Pepsi arrived they were initially curious but only after just a day or two they calmed down. In your case a dog will be your planned addition. So a lazier type of dog may do the trick.

felinelover2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad you liked the suggestion of looking into a Golden Retriever Rescue group. If you live in the U.S. here is a list by state:
Golden Retriever Rescues by State (2021) | My Golden Retriever

Also happy to hear you are a former dog owner who enjoys an active lifestyle, has a yard and believes in crate training. It sounds to me like you're ready to look for your new golden soon. 🐾 Please keep us posted.
Thanks for this link! Will definitely check it out!

felinelover2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are lapdogs like our shihtzus who prefer to lie down and sleep. I think this is a better breed than other more active breeds. I have 3 shihtzus and 1 poodle mix and when my cat Pepsi arrived they were initially curious but only after just a day or two they calmed down. In your case a dog will be your planned addition. So a lazier type of dog may do the trick.
Thanks, I had a friend with Shihtzu and they are very calm dogs, but we want a dog that can hike and camp with us.