Places (locally) to sell cat food not needed?

t c c

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitty that just died :( was on a rabbit food trial when he died. I have a pile of new and fairly new food (just opened & 1 or 2 servings taken out) from the food trial that can't be returned. It was expensive and my other cat doesn't like rabbit. I would like to try to sell it at a bargain for someone, or if need be, end up giving it to someone, that is local that needs to try their cat on a food trial.

I would love suggestions from anyone else that has done something similar, and what websites did you use, & did you have luck with those sites in reaching local people?

The food is heavy, so I do not want to get into anything that requires me to ship the products. I'm aware there are lots of sites, but I don't want to waste time posting on places that are not going to get a response. There may also be some sites I'm not thinking of, so I would love that firsthand experience feedback. Please only let me know if you have experience with a site.

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've never sold food before, just donated it to local shelters. If you want to sell it you can possibly post on a local facebook group, nextdoor, or even craigslist maybe?

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry to hear your little kitty passed away. It’s very hard when our little ones pass. I lost one of mine last year and still miss him very much.
When I’ve tried different food that my cats end up not eating I donate it to a local animal shelter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

t c c

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I appreciate everyone saying to donate the food to a shelter, but I would like to help someone that maybe is tight on money, but they need to do a food trial, which is very expensive. Cats at a shelter can eat 60 cent Friskies, not $4 rabbit, which is better served to help a specific cat in need.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most shelters probably wouldn't take it if it's been opened anyway. I'm not sure if anyone would buy open cat food either but as Babypinkweeb Babypinkweeb mentioned, you can list it on Craigslist, Nextdoor or FB Marketplace. It couldn't hurt to try.

I'm so sorry for your loss. :hugs:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

t c c

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Most shelters probably wouldn't take it if it's been opened anyway. I'm not sure if anyone would buy open cat food either but as Babypinkweeb Babypinkweeb mentioned, you can list it on Craigslist, Nextdoor or FB Marketplace. It couldn't hurt to try.

I'm so sorry for your loss. :hugs:
Thanks. Most of it is brand new canned food.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks. Most of it is brand new canned food.
That would make it much easier. Post it online and see if anyone is interested. If you bought it from Chewy, they may be able to issue a refund if the pet has passed away. Contact their customer service if you did buy it from them. The worst thing that could happen is they say no.

t c c

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That would make it much easier. Post it online and see if anyone is interested. If you bought it from Chewy, they may be able to issue a refund if the pet has passed away. Contact their customer service if you did buy it from them. The worst thing that could happen is they say no.
I buy from local pet food stores, so their return policy is different. Thanks for the suggestion, though.