Pixie's Hurricane Experience

Pixelated Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! I am not sure if I am posting this in the correct forum so please feel free to correct me if I am posting in the wrong forum. Anyhow, I wanted to share our experience with hurricane Dorian to those who are curious. Our apartment is located in Central Florida where the storm was forecasted to hit pretty hard. My parents live inland (meaning away from the beach and in the middle of the state) and have a sturdy house made from cement and told us we could stay with them during the storm and that we could bring Pixie along. I agreed, and my husband decided to stay at the apartment during the storm. I packed for myself and Pixie and we arrived at my parent's home saturday night. The first night, Pixie was very stressed. He meowed and was very vocal, paced around the house, and ended up having a severe asthma attack. It was the worst attack he has had since being put on medication to manage his breathing. I gave him his rescue inhaler, and took him to our room to get him calm. He stopped holding his mouth open and panting, but was still breathing quite rapidly. I gave him one of his prednisone pills, and put on music from relax my cat channel on youtube. I sprayed the room with cat pheromone spray to help with Pixie's anxiety, and then realized one thing: My brother, his wife, and their two small dogs usually stay in the room we were staying in, and it was likely Pixie could smell the dogs. I washed all the blankets, sheets, and pillow cases on the bed and vacuumed the rugs with baking soda, hoping this would wash away the dogs' scent and alleviate some of Pixie's stress. After the cleaning was done, Pixie came out from under the bed, but was not eating very well. The first night I coaxed him into eating Tiki Cat Wet Stix and a small amount of food. He used his litter box as usual. He slept my side all night. The second day he refused to eat anything, and went all day without eating or drinking anything. He also became vocal and stressed if we were not in the same room. Late the second night, my mother and I offered him a lot of different food, and he finally ate half a chicken breast after lots of coaxing. He also helped himself to the water in my glass, and ended up drinking from it for what seemed like a long time. He slept by my side again and I heard him get up by himself and snack on some goodies I left out for him. The third day just before the storm came, I went to the pet store down the road to see what they had, and found a lot of Pixie's favorites there. I bought what I could, and offered him some of the food as soon as I got back. I gave him some treats and after some coaxing, he happily ate his meal. At 4:30am, he woke me up with two loud meows. His relax my cat music had stopped playing. As soon as I turned his music back on, he settled down on the bed and went to sleep. During the storm, he was anxious and hid under the bed for a little while, then he came to my lap. I talked to him and gently pet his head. Tonight, he is much more himself, looking out the window, napping, and eating pretty good.

Attachments

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you Pixelated Cat it is good to hear from the east coast. We always pray for you all whenever a hurricane is imminent. You are such a good cat guardian! And with so much energy! I have heard that the "hurricane parties" are a reality in Florida and possibly yours included caffeine, or excluded alcohol. I admire your devotion to your cats needs. I usually put an old shoe in with my girl when she has to be incarcerated at the vets, as it makes a good toy as well as giving her my scent when I cannot stay there with her. We all really are so very lucky to have such wonderful fantastic creatures who stick with us through thick and thin!

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! I am not sure if I am posting this in the correct forum so please feel free to correct me if I am posting in the wrong forum. Anyhow, I wanted to share our experience with hurricane Dorian to those who are curious. Our apartment is located in Central Florida where the storm was forecasted to hit pretty hard. My parents live inland (meaning away from the beach and in the middle of the state) and have a sturdy house made from cement and told us we could stay with them during the storm and that we could bring Pixie along. I agreed, and my husband decided to stay at the apartment during the storm. I packed for myself and Pixie and we arrived at my parent's home saturday night. The first night, Pixie was very stressed. He meowed and was very vocal, paced around the house, and ended up having a severe asthma attack. It was the worst attack he has had since being put on medication to manage his breathing. I gave him his rescue inhaler, and took him to our room to get him calm. He stopped holding his mouth open and panting, but was still breathing quite rapidly. I gave him one of his prednisone pills, and put on music from relax my cat channel on youtube. I sprayed the room with cat pheromone spray to help with Pixie's anxiety, and then realized one thing: My brother, his wife, and their two small dogs usually stay in the room we were staying in, and it was likely Pixie could smell the dogs. I washed all the blankets, sheets, and pillow cases on the bed and vacuumed the rugs with baking soda, hoping this would wash away the dogs' scent and alleviate some of Pixie's stress. After the cleaning was done, Pixie came out from under the bed, but was not eating very well. The first night I coaxed him into eating Tiki Cat Wet Stix and a small amount of food. He used his litter box as usual. He slept my side all night. The second day he refused to eat anything, and went all day without eating or drinking anything. He also became vocal and stressed if we were not in the same room. Late the second night, my mother and I offered him a lot of different food, and he finally ate half a chicken breast after lots of coaxing. He also helped himself to the water in my glass, and ended up drinking from it for what seemed like a long time. He slept by my side again and I heard him get up by himself and snack on some goodies I left out for him. The third day just before the storm came, I went to the pet store down the road to see what they had, and found a lot of Pixie's favorites there. I bought what I could, and offered him some of the food as soon as I got back. I gave him some treats and after some coaxing, he happily ate his meal. At 4:30am, he woke me up with two loud meows. His relax my cat music had stopped playing. As soon as I turned his music back on, he settled down on the bed and went to sleep. During the storm, he was anxious and hid under the bed for a little while, then he came to my lap. I talked to him and gently pet his head. Tonight, he is much more himself, looking out the window, napping, and eating pretty good.
Adorable...I missed his age somewhere..how old is he???

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw, bless him. And bless you for being such a loving and attentive friend. I'm happy that you are both safe. Thank you for sharing hurricane news from your area. I am inland NC. We are getting some wind gusts here that are higher than normal, but I am not expecting any distress, like with Hugo.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pixelated Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What cat music did he listen to? I might need it in the future. So glad he is relaxed
maggie101 maggie101 You can find it on the channel Relax My Cat on youtube, and can also access the music on relaxmycat.com It is completely free on youtube, and you can subscribe on their website for a small fee. The channel on youtube has a lot of different music from Relax My Cat, and many of them play for 15 hours at a time. I hope you and your kitties enjoy :redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump:

Pixelated Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Such a sweet orange boy like my Jamie. You took excellent care of him and he is lucky to have you. I hope that your apartment was safe from damage.
fionasmom fionasmom Thank you :) We got blessed with no damage to our apartment:hyper: How old is your Jamie and how is he doing? Pixie is 5 years old :redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump:

Pixelated Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aw, bless him. And bless you for being such a loving and attentive friend. I'm happy that you are both safe. Thank you for sharing hurricane news from your area. I am inland NC. We are getting some wind gusts here that are higher than normal, but I am not expecting any distress, like with Hugo.
nurseangel nurseangel Thank you :) I hope the wind gusts don't cause any damage for you and I hope it passes quickly. Hopefully this is the only major storm we have to deal with this year. Please keep us updated :lovecat:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Pixelated Cat Pixelated Cat Jamie is 3. Probably birthday was July 1, 2016 and I found him about 3 weeks later dying in my neighbor's back yard....having nothing to do with her at all and his origins have remained a mystery. He has had some early kidney issues, but we have successfully dealt with them.

I am glad that you were spared damage to your apartment.