Pitter The Emotional Support Cat Urgently Needs Vet Care!

P+P's Meom

What if I don't want to stay calm?
Adult Cat
Purraise
this post from a couple of posts above was s'posed to have a picture - which is how i knew my darling baby boy has been so horribly labeled. It's slander I tell you. SLANDER!

//UPDATE: Sept. 20, 2019
Pitter's got a bad reputation . . . :redtongue:
. . . just cuz he's been known to try to eat his vet's face!
{hey, the little dude's scared!}

bit of an over-reaction on their part, if ya ask me!

{but no one ever does!}//

There. Now i'm reasonably content.

P+P's Meom

Adult Cat
Purraise
... The little receptionist called out, "Hekitty's here for her appointment!" and a tiny voice from the back called in response,

"OH GOD!"
That's hilarious! The clinic trimmed Pitter's daggers for me as a very nice surprise when they had him knocked out for his x-rays a couple weeks ago. I'm gonna have to draft a friend to clip while I hold him . . . I think . . . I have to figure out what to bribe her with first . . . Pitter is disgustingly in love with her, so it could work! LOL

BTW, i absolutely
LOVE the name "Hekitty!" :catlove:

P+P's Meom

Adult Cat
Purraise
jefferd18 jefferd18 ;)

Apologies for the delay with updates! Pitter, Patter and I have been sleeping for the last 24+ hours. We're STILL exhausted!!

UPDATE: September 21, 2019

Thanks to everyone who donated to help Pitter, some anonymously, we had enough money to have Pitter's ultrasounds done at the Specialty Clinic yesterday.

I was pretty sure that I would cry on the way home after the Internal Medicine vet told me the results. I was right . . .

Since Pitter's been labeled {libeled?!} an “Aggressive Patient,” the vet had had me give him a kinda large dose of his pre-appointment happy meds. He also had his pain meds.

“Stoned to the bone” would be an accurate description of him by the time we got to the clinic. They didn't need to give him any more sedation to shave his belly and get the pix.

It was a lot faster than I'd thought it'd be. They brought Pitter back about 30 minutes later. The vet told me the test results and her diagnosis. She kept talking and giving me details, but I didn't hear anything else after her diagnosis.

I made her repeat it. At least three times, prob'ly more.

THERE _ IS _ NO _ MASS.
THERE _ IS _ NO _ MASS.

THERE _ IS _ NO _ MASS.

It seems the “spot” on the x-ray was actually fat.

I asked her with fake indigence, “are you trying to tell me my Baby Boy is FAT!?!”

We both laughed.

I asked her again if there was really, really NO MASS.

Yes Bon, NO MASS!

I don't think I've ever seen a doctor, human or animal, look so freakin' happy to give a diagnosis.

Pitter's guts look fine. His pancreas is very slightly . . . I forgot the word . . . and that along with his history of abdominal pain he's been having, he's been diagnosed with Pancreatitis, aka Pancake-itis.

Treatment is acid-reducers and pain meds, on a scheduled basis instead of “as needed.” There's no time frame for this, it's going to be ongoing for a while to let his pancreas kinda heal up. Just playing it by ear.

Down-grading the pain meds a bit, from a “mixed opioid agonist-antagonist” to “a centrally-acting, oral analgesic that contains an opioid. All I understand is that the Buprenex {Buprenorphine} he's been taking is $75 for ten 0.2cc doses, tastes awful and causes my fingers to bleed a bit. Tramadol isn't and doesn't.

While pancreatitis is generally associated with diet, Pitter's is not. There's nothing TO change/cut out, because for the last three years, he's had a diet of very simple food with very limited ingredients.

So, nope. We don't know the cause. But that doesn't really matter. The important thing is that we know how to TREAT IT.

After holding in tears for so long, anticipating bad things, you betcha I used them all for tears of happy relief after we left the clinic!

ps
I'm REALLY hoping I can get a pic of his cute, naked belly! Cross your toes!

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
jefferd18 jefferd18 ;)

Apologies for the delay with updates! Pitter, Patter and I have been sleeping for the last 24+ hours. We're STILL exhausted!!

UPDATE: September 21, 2019

Thanks to everyone who donated to help Pitter, some anonymously, we had enough money to have Pitter's ultrasounds done at the Specialty Clinic yesterday.

I was pretty sure that I would cry on the way home after the Internal Medicine vet told me the results. I was right . . .

Since Pitter's been labeled {libeled?!} an “Aggressive Patient,” the vet had had me give him a kinda large dose of his pre-appointment happy meds. He also had his pain meds.

“Stoned to the bone” would be an accurate description of him by the time we got to the clinic. They didn't need to give him any more sedation to shave his belly and get the pix.

It was a lot faster than I'd thought it'd be. They brought Pitter back about 30 minutes later. The vet told me the test results and her diagnosis. She kept talking and giving me details, but I didn't hear anything else after her diagnosis.

I made her repeat it. At least three times, prob'ly more.

THERE _ IS _ NO _ MASS.
THERE _ IS _ NO _ MASS.

THERE _ IS _ NO _ MASS.

It seems the “spot” on the x-ray was actually fat.

I asked her with fake indigence, “are you trying to tell me my Baby Boy is FAT!?!”

We both laughed.

I asked her again if there was really, really NO MASS.

Yes Bon, NO MASS!

I don't think I've ever seen a doctor, human or animal, look so freakin' happy to give a diagnosis.

Pitter's guts look fine. His pancreas is very slightly . . . I forgot the word . . . and that along with his history of abdominal pain he's been having, he's been diagnosed with Pancreatitis, aka Pancake-itis.

Treatment is acid-reducers and pain meds, on a scheduled basis instead of “as needed.” There's no time frame for this, it's going to be ongoing for a while to let his pancreas kinda heal up. Just playing it by ear.

Down-grading the pain meds a bit, from a “mixed opioid agonist-antagonist” to “a centrally-acting, oral analgesic that contains an opioid. All I understand is that the Buprenex {Buprenorphine} he's been taking is $75 for ten 0.2cc doses, tastes awful and causes my fingers to bleed a bit. Tramadol isn't and doesn't.

While pancreatitis is generally associated with diet, Pitter's is not. There's nothing TO change/cut out, because for the last three years, he's had a diet of very simple food with very limited ingredients.

So, nope. We don't know the cause. But that doesn't really matter. The important thing is that we know how to TREAT IT.

After holding in tears for so long, anticipating bad things, you betcha I used them all for tears of happy relief after we left the clinic!

ps
I'm REALLY hoping I can get a pic of his cute, naked belly! Cross your toes!
So happy that it is not a tumor, pancreatitis is a nasty illness but in most cases it can be managed. All in all this is wonderful news. BTW I found that Commercial raw food helped my boy

P+P's Meom

Adult Cat
Purraise
zed xyzed zed xyzed , "Happy" doesn't begin to describe how i feel! :thud:<--- does! LOL
:rockout::wow: :woo: :party2: :woohoo: :yess:

As for the pancreatitis, I think we must've lucked out and discovered it pretty early. If not for the ultrasound, we'd still be scratching our heads, wondering why the heck his tummy hurts, why he's walking so stiffly . . . He has no other symptoms. He eats like a pig, pees + poops like a big cat, plays more than he used to . . . :dunno:

We're crossing our toes that the famotidine and tramadol will calm his pancreas down and it'll be that easy!

:catlove:

P+P's Meom

Adult Cat
Purraise
neely neely - extra toes are always welcome!

Pitter's been on scheduled tramadol and famotidine for 72 hours and it seems to be helping. He's in a better mood AND!
I got to rub his bare belly! :yess:
Hoping to get a nice pic of it when he's stretching on his back, but not holding my breath. :updown:

This is him rocking the lastest "crop top" look. :catlove:

{toes still crossed}

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
YES YES YES! I was offline Sunday and yesterday, and this was JUST the charge I needed for my batteries!

Actually, it was a bout with pancreatitis that brought Hekitty and me here to begin with! She recovered, and it has never recurred. Lighting a candle that Pitter will be the same!

00LitCandle.jpeg