Pitter + His Test Results - Part 4

P+P's Meom

What if I don't want to stay calm?
Adult Cat
Purraise
[Update from Pitter + His Tummy + His New Vet - Part 3]

Pitter saw his new doctor on Monday and . . . .
<drum roll please!>

:celebrate: :celebrate: :celebrate: :celebrate:

THERE'S _ NOT _ A _ DAMN _ THING _ WRONG _ WITH _ HIM!!

[duh! i coulda told ya that!]

After 2 weeks of getting alot more fluids into him [and Patter,] we re-did the blood work.

His platelets went from 205 up to 261.
BUN went from 43 down to 38.
Everything else was in normal ranges.

So like Dr. New-Vet originally said – dehydration.
He said he's not at all concerned that the BUN was a bit high because he knows with Pitter's diet, he's getting a lot of protein. [I'm really liking this guy!]

He took a urine sample and that looked good, specific gravity 1.041
They're doing a culture as well, just to cover everything, and that result should be available this week yet.

:yess: Pitter the Booger IS NOT SICK!

He's back to his goofy ol' self, reminding me every 20-30 minutes that I still love him by jumping on me and allowing me to give him “kitty rubs” - tummy included!

We have no clue what the whole tummy thing was about! And this doc didn't see him when it was bad, so he doesn't even have a guess. IDK. I do know he was in a lot of distress for weeks . . . <shrug> If it ever happens again, I feel alot more confident with our new vet. Fingers crossed it never happens again.

This was the first time in years that Pitter wasn't totally knocked out for his exam. The tech called me a few days before our appt to make sure he'd be dosed with gabapentin. The dose they said to give was more than he'd had before and it was just right. He wasn't a happy camper by any means, but was manageable without being totally sedated. I really, really like that.

So all is well in our little home right now.

I'm really at a loss what to think of our original vet, her mis-diagnosis and her treatment of Pitter and I. From “kidney disease and a GI bleed” to a second vet's diagnosis of “dehydrated”?!?!? <shaking my head>

I've thought about taking this up with the owner of the clinic – who has also been P+P's vet – but I can't think what I'd get out of it. Really, she was SO damn petty and I just do not wanna sink to her slimy level. And I don't feel like wasting any more energy on her.

Tho I am pretty sure that I'll send her a print-out of the nutrient chart that shows what P+P's food consists of . . .

:insertevillaugh:

ps. P+P have both decided that they like the new and improved, slightly lumpy, chicken soup. That's great cuz there's 25#s of it in the fridge/freezer!

pss. They didn't see any worms in the poop, but gave me a de-wormer for both P+P, just to cover all bases.

:thanks:

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Veterinarians have very little knowledge of food and nutrition. You are lucky to have found a new vet who does. The original vets diagnoses of kidney disease should have been based on the result of blood work. If it wasn't and truly just a wild guess, than you do what you have to do. The way you treat kidney disease is with regular fluid administration to rehydrate and a better/controlled diet. If this is what you did, and the new vet just said "dehydration" I would question the new vet more than the old.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wonderful news! And with all of the test results looking good, I think you may finally be in the clear! There may have been something more than just dehydration earlier on, but from what you have said about the new vet, I'm far more confident that he will catch it if it should recurr! Poor guy was kinda in the position of a mechanic when the danged car just WILL NOT MAKE THAT NOISE when you take it in! That said, he sounds good, he sounds knowledgable, and he sounds as if he cares! And I'm really pleased that they were willing to handle him without total sedation! That's HUGE, and one of the things I love about Hek's vet (Hek isn't an easy girl, either).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

P+P's Meom

Adult Cat
Purraise
jen jen

Believe me, I know most vets know zilch about nutrition! They listen to the sales reps of “prescription food” companies like they're gods.:angryfire:

I took first took Pitter to our original vet because he'd been having severe stomach aches for weeks with no other symptoms. Famotidine helped the symptoms but we didn't know the cause.

Our original vet was extremely upset when I told her that I feed home-made.
Based only that and routine blood-work, she diagnosed a previously healthy, 5 year old cat with Kidney Disease and a GI Bleed. Her only recommendation was to change his food to commercial – even recommending prescription kibble. :running:

I have CKD Stage 3 myself. When I hear “kidney ______” my brain screams “more fluids!” not “dry kibble!” :drinking:

I didn't do a very good job of keeping all of this easy to follow from day one to now, so I'm just gonna be lazy and quote my own posts. :wink:

Pitter and I spent 2.5 hours at the vet Tuesday – May 7. A good chunk was waiting for labs.

As I was filling her in on what's going on, she hit on the fact that I only feed him home-made food. BAM. She decided right then that he is sick because he isn't getting the right nutrients. She hadn't examined him or done the blood-work yet.

I explained why he and Patter don't get commercial food – neither, but Pitter especially - just cannot process any kind of starch in his food. It took over a year and a half, 15 different brands, and hours of reading ingredient labels - to figure that out.

I told her they've been on the same diet, with the same ingredients for 2.5 years. Both Pitter and Patter eat the exact same thing. Why is it just now making him sick? Why isn't it also affecting Patter?

She tried hard to not roll her eyes at me.

Labs finally get done. Based on an elevated BUN level, [and my "improper care" of him,] she tells me 1) he has GI bleeding and 2) kidney disease.[/QUOTE]
She wants me to feed him canned food, or even better: prescription kibble. For kidney disease!? [I am also giving him the wrong probiotic and need to switch to a cat-specific kind.]

For the umpteeth time, I tell her that those things are not an option, and I try to explain to why to her. I'm frustrated, but not angry. I really want to try to find a workable compromise! She doesn't and gets ready to walk out the door.

I said “Wait – what can I do to give Pitter some relief from his pain?”

Her: “I already told you.” And that was that.

She never did any kind of actual exam. The only time she even touched him was to take his blood.

Once she heard “home-made food” she passed judgment on me and knew that was the problem.

I can't believe that her ego is more important than the fact that one of her patients is in pain every. Single. Day.
<snip>
View attachment 284010
Part Deux
update of:Need Input : Interviewing Potential Vets

Pitter has been feeling a bit better this last week - not well - just not as miserable as he had been.

[Ten days ago. . .]I had a consult appt with the potential [now hired] vet – just me – to see if we could work together or not. He spent FORTY MINUTES with me, discussing mostly Pitter, but Patter + her epilepsy as well.
He looked over Pitter's labs [from our former vet] and thinks the biggest problem is that Pitter is dehydrated. There may be some kidney involvement, but Pitter's only 5yo [as of a couple of days ago!] which is awfully young to have kidney problems. It could be something very treatable like an infection. He said he doesn't really see any indication of a GI bleed . . . but something is definitely up. But, it's very possible that Pitter is not as sick as I was led to believe. *fingers crossed*

The plan is to get a lot more fluids into Pitter [and Patter] and then he and Pitter will meet each other in 2 weeks and re-do labs and do urine labs as well and go from there.

Pitter still seems to be feeling better – doesn't ask for tummy meds as often. I'm SO glad he doesn't feel as rotten as he has! He even asked for tummy rubs twice today! just for a couple minutes, but hey!

ABOUT OUR NEW VET

Dr. H is at the only cat-only clinic in town – I don't drive, so “in town” is important now that I have two cats“with issues.” He's been a cat vet for close to 20 years. He's a member of AAFP. The clinic does in-house labs, x-rays and ultrasounds.

He's not real keen on home-made food, but will not push me towards switching to Friskies or look condescendingly at me like I'm a dumb-ass who doesn't care about her cats. [my words.] I told him that I have no problem if he wants to check the nutrient part of what I feed – feed back is always good – but to be aware that I do not consider feeding commercial food an option. Period. He's ok with that.
<snip>

Last edited:

P+P's Meom

Adult Cat
Purraise
Wonderful news! And with all of the test results looking good, I think you may finally be in the clear! There may have been something more than just dehydration earlier on, but from what you have said about the new vet, I'm far more confident that he will catch it if it should recurr! Poor guy was kinda in the position of a mechanic when the danged car just WILL NOT MAKE THAT NOISE when you take it in! That said, he sounds good, he sounds knowledgable, and he sounds as if he cares! And I'm really pleased that they were willing to handle him without total sedation! That's HUGE, and one of the things I love about Hek's vet (Hek isn't an easy girl, either).

<nodding in agreement>

Dr. New-Vet spending an unhurried 40 minutes with me for "an interview" and the clinic calling me about the gaba so Pitter didn't have to be knocked out, both made an extremely positive impact on me. I love that he and the tech were so focused on Pitter!
The fact that he respects my opinions is the cherry on top of the icing on the cake.
:yess:

It does sound like the dude and his crew actually care, doesn't it?! :catrub:

The mechanic analogy is purrfect! :lol: and very true.
If Pitter's tummy starts acting up again
<glares at Pitter . . . in a loving way>
I believe he'll get to the bottom of it.
:catlove:

[some days, I like little emojis way too much!]

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, emojis are the cat's meow!:catrub:and rather amazingly, while we have a purring cat emoji, we do NOT have a meowing cat emoji! I am bereft...

Finding the right vet is a Godsend, isn't it?

P+P's Meom

Adult Cat
Purraise
@mamanyt, By Bast, it most certainly is!
His 20 years experience with just felines makes me think that he's gotta know a couple of things about them. Plus, he's ok with home-cooked food. Plus he seems to be a nice guy!

:woo: