Pit Bulls Running Loose

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm at a crossroads here and this is very serious. The Dogs are running loose, terrorizing my feral cats although the dogs are just playing. They obviously belong to someone as I saw a small boy running after them but nothing is done. Aren't dogs supposed to be kept in their own yard? I called the police and the police basically said there was nothing they can do if the dogs weren't attacking someone. So what now? Animal Control is the only place in my city that would come for them and then they would be euthanized. That doesn't set well with me as it's not the dogs fault their pit bulls. What should I do?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just informed that Animal Control can take the cats if they are seen. My heart is breaking in two. :(

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you think you could get collars on the cats? AC shouldn't take them if they're tagged.

I usually think AC should be called when dogs are running loose. Why do you think they'd kill the dogs? Usually the owners are fined and that's it. Are pit bulls illegal in your area?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
If no one adopts them they would be euthanized. Which being adult pit bulls I don't think many would adopt. And we don't even know if the dogs have current owners. They've been running around constantly for 4 days.

What kind of collars would you suggest. The cats are all domesticated so I'm sure I can get a collar on them. I was informed though it would cost me $75 with proof of adoption of cats to get them out of AC and $100 or more without proof. Ugh what a tragedy

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just regular breakaway cat collars. Outdoor cats WILL lose them frequently, so don't get anything fancy. If you buy in bulk they're under $1 each:

You can write your address and phone number on the collar or buy cheap tags (they say $1.99 when I click on them, idk why it says $2.79 in the thumbnail):

Dogs really cannot be running loose, for everybody's safety. I know it's sad if they get put down, but try to assume their owners would pick them up and keep them safe after that.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of pen? The desciption down below says name and all are engraved so that may be where the $2.79 is?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I see now but we can only personalize one name. I have 3. Ugh

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh ok. Now to get the money for this as all my money went to feeding them and providing them shelter. :(

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't put my name or the pet's name on ID tags. Just my address and phone number. The blanks are just suggestions; you can put whatever you want on there. It will have a preview so you can see what it'll look like on the tag and tweak it so it looks the way you want.

But if you do want individual names, do a separate order for each tag.

A regular Sharpie will work to write your number on the collar.
Ugh ok. Now to get the money for this as all my money went to feeding them and providing them shelter. :(
At least it's cheaper than bailing them out of kitty jail!

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
True. Was just wanting to get them today. This will be a few days of surveys for me to fill out to get them.

Update:

Earlier the police department says they called AC. But I just did get a phone call from the police officer dispatched to the area and he saw no dogs (they ran fast) and so he did not call and the the police department probably assumed he would call. So the cats are safe for a day or two. However the police officer is going to make a stop and talk with who he believes owns the 2 dogs and give a warning of a $2K fine if the dogs are not kept in their yard.

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Update: So the cats are safe for a day or two. However the police officer is going to make a stop and talk with who he believes owns the 2 dogs and give a warning of a $2K fine if the dogs are not kept in their yard.
Fingers crossed the cats are safe for the time being and the police officer will talk with the correct owner. :crossfingers: Please keep us posted.