Pit Bull & Cats?

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by chichismom

Thank you soo much for posting that Sarah! I was going to post longer, but I was getting upset so I kept it short. Do you have any tips on how to keep Willy from jumping up on us when he gets too exited? ( sorry for hijacking the thread
)
Yup lots of tips! I'm actually going to start a `training tips' thread in this section so I'll cover it in there. It'll be tomorrow though cos it's bed time now!

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by chichismom

Do you have any tips on how to keep Willy from jumping up on us when he gets too exited? ( sorry for hijacking the thread
)
I'm sure there's a clicker way to solve the problem, but I'll volunteer what worked for my dog - she was taught to jump up for attention at the shelter, so she was a toughie to teach to stay down. Dogs jump up because they want to get attention from you, so they try to get to your eye level. The best way to stop the jumping is to teach an alternative behavior - to sit politely in front of you when he wants attention. (I assume he already knows how to sit).

To teach him that sitting politely is what will get him the attention he wants, when he comes dashing up to you, tell him to sit - if he does, even for a moment, mark the occasion with a 'good dog!' or whatever your cue is, and give him lots of pets and attention at his eye level. Any time he jumps on you, react only by turning your body away from him and saying "off" (don't use "down" because that's a different action). Look away to the side and up with your head, so your body language tells him he's being impolite. Timing is very important - snub him right when he jumps on you, and praise him the moment he stops and his feet are back on the ground.

Don't push him away, as that can be seen as play, and he's still getting attention. Kneeing or hanging on to the legs is not a good idea either, because it can damage your dog's trust in you if you respond to a happy greeting with punishment.

And of course when he calms down enough to sit politely give him lots of loving. It doesn't take long for most dogs to figure out that's how you wish to be greeted. There may still be some happy bouncing and squirming before or after the sit, but that's better than getting jumped on.

Be consistent about it to avoid confusion - don't allow him to jump up sometimes and not others, depending on what you're wearing. After he's learned how to greet politely consistently, if you wish to allow him to jump up at certain times you can teach him a specific signal for that, but it's best to wait until his 'sit politely' greeting is rock-solid.

hth

*edit*
Sorry Sarah! I was typing this as you posted.

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you soo much Tuxedokitties! That helps alot! Because he is trained, and I taught him the up trick when he wants a treat, but not when I walk in the door LOL And I was making the mistake of pushing him down, which of course he thought was play so he keeps jumping back up. He will sit when you tell him even if I just walked in, but he will be soo exited he can't sit for long lol.

I look foward to your thread Sarah! I can't wait till you get it up! Another prob. if anyone wants to take ashot: When Willy and Lucy go out to pee, and Willy sees something like a rabbit, cat in the alley, anything he sees that does'nt belong-he goes nuts! He starts running all around -but thats not the problem, he will sometimes nip at lucy- or knock her over because he is running to fast. Now in the house he listens great, and him and Lucy can play fight outside fine-unless Willy gets in this super-hyper mode. What can we do to make him calm down and stop picking on Lucy?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gemini52880

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey Everyone,

I have GREAT NEWS, I took my roommate to petmarts to speak with the dog trainer, and now she wants to keep the Dog :-). I'm glad that the dog is staying now i have some other concerns.

First the dog is going to belong to my roommate, and when i suggested training for the dog she said that she didnt like that idea because she did feel right letting someone else train the dog. I don't know why. But her method of training the dog is kinda of hurtful/scary. Last night when I go home Brandy was there and she was excited to see so of course she wanted to greet me. However she peed in the house so my roommate didn't let her move. In order to keep her staying there she would hit her on the back. To me it was hard, I told her I didnt like that and we should just get her trained, but she doesnt like that idea. Brandy just sat there and if she tried to get up and come to me my roommate would say sit and if she didn't sit she would hit her.
I repeated myself that I didnt like it, and she said she was sorry but that she had to be in control of the dog. Does anyone have any suggestions that i can give to her to train the dog since she doesnt want to go to a trainer, and i dont want her hitting brandy.

And the other thing, is when i came home she had opened my door to my room and let the cats out. The cats were fine, they were upset that we had a dog there, But Brandy did FANASTIC. She made me so happy, she didnt bark at them she didnt try to chase them (but that could be the result of my roommate hitting her on the back). However this morning i let them met again. And brandy just looked at them the cats hissed and growled and stood their ground, but brandy didn approach them or bark, she just looked real sad. and just laid down.

Don't want to put my roommate in a bad light, she was hitting the dog, but she is not going all out abusing the dog. I talked to her about it and i think she realized that it bothered me alot, so she said she would stop, but that she had to make sure she had control over Brandy, so I trying to think of something to do to help that situation. I purchased doggie treats for training. So i want to use those for training. So I will need suggestions for that training. And since Brandy didn't show any aggression towards the cats, she didnt even chase them. I can tell she does want to go up to them and sniff them but they won't allow it, they just keep hissing at her and i think that makes her sad cause she wants to interact with them. But I keep a careful eye on them.

Also I think this is so cute, anytime i would touch brandy, Apples (my cat), would get mad and start hissing and growling. And when i moved my hand she would stop. I was like awww my baby is jealous. And the whole night she slept under me :-). So for the long post but just wanted to update everyone.

Nicole

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nicole, Your roomate cannot hit this dog! That is how they get aggresive! Make her stop or find her a good home-if your roomate keeps hitting Brandy you will have to re-home her anyway as she will be very agresive. If she wants to train her herself, tell her to get a (clean) empty soda can, fill it with about 5-10 pennies-whenever Brandy gets out of hand shake the can, you will get her attention, then FIRMLY say NO! BAD DOG! Hitting a dog is SOOOOOOOOO not the answer! You will not get the results you think! Her mis-behaving needs to be re-directed- give her a toy to take out some of her playfullness. Also she needs to be walked at least once a day to help with the puppy hyperness. When she pees, she is too exited(sp?) she is really happy to see you! Hitting her will make her not so happy to see you or anyone else. Have you taken her to the vet for shots etc....? She really needs to be current on her puppy shots. There are too many canine diseases that are very deadly however there are vaccinations against them. Please get her shots!!!! Tell your roomate to stop hitting her, the dog is going to grow up to hate her!

Congradulations on being able to keep Brandy!

gemini52880

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yea I told my roommate that I don't like her hitting Brandy, and she saw that it really made me upset. And she said would quit, which is good, I went and purchased her some toys this morning, and boy was she happy, and I took her walking/running, and played with her, she seems to enjoy that alot. I made a appointment with the vet to get her current on her shots, I'm also going to get her a ID tag to put on her, and now i'm in the process of finding her a doggie bed :-D. I will try the can thing and tell my roommate about that. Thanks
Nicole

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with Marge. She can't keep hitting this pup, unless she just wants the dog to be scared of her. Fear leads to aggression. It's kinda like in Star Wars - Fear leads to Hate, Hate leads to the Dark Side.
OK, back to seriousness...control does not mean to make the dog fear you, only to let her know that you two are at the top of the dog pack.

Training can be as much for the person owning the dog as for the dog. Going to a class like that will teach her how to communicate with Brandy in terms that Brandy will understand. She doesn't understand why she's being hit, she just understands that it hurts.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is directed at your roomate ... NEVER EVER HIT A PIT BULL >>>OR ANY DOG ... My yorkie was hit at somept in the first three years... she IS DOG agressive( thou I am working with her ) , My father hit my german shepard (RIP JOEY) and for 13 yrs I had a male aggresive animal.... Neither of these dogs were at or are at fault but some DUMB human hit them and they are / were scared for life..

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jeesh. And people wonder why some animals `turn'. God what an idiot. How could you honestly hit an animal anyway? No matter what it did? They're only animals, and they only `misbehave' either because they haven't been taught properly, they don't understand what we want or we expect them to act like humans.

That makes me SO incredibly angry

gemini52880

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I so agree with that, just watching her hit brandy hurt me and made me mad. I told her that I dont like it at all there has to be another way, you wouldn't go around hitting a child like that. You would not punch a baby on the back. We had a talk and she said she would not do it, so i'm looking into trying to get some training. She said she doesnt approve of me taking her to a trainer at petsmart, but i'm thinking about doing it anyway when i know she will not be at home. That way i can tell her how to talk to the dog and if she says nicole how did you get ther to do that, i would say i just worked with her. Do you guys think this is wrong.

Nicole

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No I don't - but you need to find out why she doesn't `approve' of you taking her to a trainer.

I think you should also explain to her that puppies/dogs etc are not `naughty' in their world - they are doing doggie things that doggies do. They don't understand what you want unless you take the time to teach them. Tell her you understand that it's frustrating but that the dog is not deliberately upsetting her and that hitting the dog will do NOTHING except hurt the dog, but won't make it understand the connection between doing something `wrong' and getting hit. The dog is not going to know what it did, it's just being a dog. And she needs to understand that they have a whole different understanding of the world and she can't expect the pup to act like a human child and understand her rules. Not only is hitting cruel, in this case it actually is pointless cos the dog's not going to get it, anyway. If she sees it from this point of view she may understand that hitting the dog is NOT going to help her gain control over it like she thinks, because it doesn't understand, it can't make the connection, and all she's going to do is make it fear her which means it'll be even less likely to obey her. Sometimes a little explanation is all it takes to change people's though patterns.

joecool

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
someplace so boring i am slowly but surely losing
I definitely think that it is wrong to hit dogs.

And i would like to go back to the pit bull thing. They are dogs, and if raised right can make wonderful pets. They are not naturally agressive, mean, or vicious. I know a kid with large scars across his face, and when asked what they were from, he says it was a dog. When pressed, he replies that it was a cocker spaniel.

There is no reason to blame a breed when the owner is at fault.
to the people that stood up for pit bulls.

Good luck with Brandy!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Pit Bulls have a very strong grip, and thus can pose a danger to other dogs (I've had that experience with Airedales, who were bred to hunt bears). Thus, obedience classes, where the dog learns to socialize with other dogs, are a very important experience for this type of dog. Besides, the "pack experience" is fun for the dog. Perhaps you should point that out to your roommate?
Brandy doesn't sound like she's aggressive, but she could still benefit from classes.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Obedience classes would be something to look into.
You go there with other people and their dogs or one on one with a trainer. You don't have to leave your dog alone with a trainer to do it for you. We used to take my dog to obedience classes and my dad kept him the whole time on a leash and the trainer told my dad what to tell the dog to do. There are other options then leaving your dog with a trainer, I don't know why someone would do that other then laziness. Does she know that?
She can also talk to the petsmart trainer people and tell them why she is concerned with it and see what they have to say. Try pointing that out to her. I don't know, if I gave a pet to someone and I witnessed the person hitting the dog I would take it back no ifs ands or buts. That is completely unexceptable. THAT IS THE WAY TO MAKE YOUR DOG AGRESSIVE. That is the kind of person I would do everything possible to keep my pets away from. If she did that to the dog she is probably doing that to your cats too.

lee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since you are keeping the dog, please make sure that the cats have places they can hide or climb quickly if she gets too rough for them. It sounds like she's being calm with them now, but better safe than sorry.

As your roommate wants to get control of the pup, both of you need to establish yourselves as pack leaders by ignoring Brandy when you come into the room, eat first (pretend to eat from her bowl before you put it down) and don't let her climb on top of you as this puts her in the dominant position. She'll be more likely to pay attention to you if she accepts you as the pack leader. Of course, she's not a mind reader, so obedience training is the thing to do. Let your roommate attend with you or at least read about it. Dogs don't reason the way we do and sometimes what seems to be an obvious way of communicating doesn't work with them. My husband and I had many disagreements about how to discipline my little dog until he heard it from the trainer himself.