Pinkish & Off White Discharge From Cat Anus

clubrockers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 11 year old Persian female was eating less than usual and had less activity. She had also been licking her rear more often. Last Sunday she stopped eating completely, so I took her to the nearby vet on Monday morning. She had also vomitted the food she ate during the day that evening. The vet said she may be having an upset stomach and could have an urinary tract infection. The vet prescribed her liv 52 syrup, an antacid, ondansetron for nausea, cefpodoxime anti biotic syrup & entero chronic sachets. She also gave activated charcoal capsules. My cat takes liv 52, the antacid & ondansetron fine but froths out the anti biotic and charcoal. Today I observed some off white and pinkish discharge near her sitting place. There is no distinct foul smell as of such from the discharge. On further examination of her rear, I found out some drops of discharge clinging to her hair. Her anus and nearby area looks fine. She has been eating well after I came from the vet but today she is eating less. I contacted the vet and she advised to get a whole abdomen sonography done. My cat is not spayed and was in heat a fortnight back. Has anyone faced any similar problem and is cefpodoxime a safe anti biotic to use in cats ?

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Cefpodoxime

Welcome to The Cat Site! Cefprodoxime is used off label in cats which is very common with a lot of veterinary medications. It can affect appetite, but your cat was not eating when you took her to the vet initially. Did the vet do any diagnostics at all like a urine specimen or blood work? You were given an appetite stimulant, a probiotic, an antibiotic, and an anti nausea medication which sounds as if your vet was trying for a generalized treatment that might correct the problem. However, your cat is not taking the antibiotic, so it is probably having no effect. If I were you, I would update the vet with this information; if there is a UTI nothing is being done for it under these circumstances. Also, you aren't completely sure that it is a UTI. Since she is an older, unspayed cat, the vet may suspect a reproductive issue which is part of the reason that she wants the imaging. From your information, I think that you have to proceed to another step to get to the bottom of this and to see what is causing the discharge.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clubrockers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the info. Getting the sonography done today and will update with the reports. Will ask my vet if I should get a urine specimen and/or bloodwork done. Hoping she gets well soon.

clubrockers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Got her sonography and bloodwork done today. Her bloodwork is normal except for a low platelets count. Sonography suggests pyometra. Will operate her as soon as possible. She is a very aggressive cat with outsiders & she hates her vet visits. Had a hard time drawing blood and scanning her. Even gabapentin & fluoxetine couldn't calm her down. Good thing is she is eating and drinking well. Urine and stools are also normal. But her activity has reduced and she is sleeping throughout the day. I hope the vet changes to a tablet anti biotic as she is a easy to pill cat than a liquid.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I thought it was going to be pyometra and spaying is the best course of action for that. Hopefully this will be done very soon before this gets worse. Ask the vet for pill forms of the meds. If he does not stock them, he may be able to order them or direct you to a source. However, don't discontinue whatever he gave you in the meantime, especially with that infection.

clubrockers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Getting her operated tomorrow morning. Praying everything goes well. Please do pray for her safe and successful surgery and speedy recovery.

clubrockers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Everything went well. I was super worried and kept praying the whole time of surgery. She is home now. Kinda drowsy, gave her wet food and water around 3 hours after surgery. She had been given IV fluids during the surgery. She ate the food but didn't drink the water. She won't keep the E collar. Gets it out from her head somehow. Praying for her speedy recovery.

clubrockers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought my cat is easy to pill. She takes her deworming medication right but now my vet has prescribed her 4 tablets twice a day. She takes 1 or 2 each time and won't take the remaining ones. I don't want to stress her out as she is healing from surgery. I tried powdering the medication and mixing with dry food, wet food as well as treats but she won't take it. Even if I try to put it as low down into her throat, she somehow froths it out. I tried powdering the tablet, mixing it with water and giving her the solution through syringe but she spits it out too. She is an aggressive cat and I need to try to calm her down before trying again. Any other ideas I can try to get her to take her pills?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Pilling Cats: Must-know Tips For Hiding Pills – TheCatSite Articles
How Can I Give A Pill To My Cat – TheCatSite Articles
Pills and cats

See if any tips here work. Almost any food that is cat safe, including Gerber's stage two meats, a dab of butter, a bite of cheese. There are also products like Hartz Delectable Bisques and Stews, along with all sorts of wet treat pouches made by almost all pet for manufacturers now. Fiona took her meds with BFF cat food which is a very fish based highly scented food that masked the taste and texture. Even at that I had to crush them and mix them in the food. If you go that route with any wet food, put a small amount so you can monitor whether or not the cat eats it. Don't put a full dish of food with a tiny crushed pill. With an aggressive cat, I don't recommend syringing or putting it in her throat as that probably just fires her up more. There are pill poppers or shooters which you may or may not be comfortable using.

If the meds can be sold to you in a different form, that might work. I assume these are antibiotics for the surgery? If this is a long term medication, pharmacies like Wedgewood can compound it for you.

clubrockers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK, so I tried thrice with the pill popper and I succeeded all the time. But have observed that she is again eating less than normal and sleeping most of the time. I think she wants to eat as when I give her some kibbles, she eats them readily. She is an adamant cat. She doesn't like taking medication but I have no choice. Could the loss in appetite be because of the antibiotics and painkillers? What can I give her to boost her appetite?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Antibiotics can decrease appetite and cause lethargy. I am also wondering about nausea. Did the vet give you Cerenia? However, she may be holding out for kibble or, in her defense, it seems appealing even with a poor appetite. Mirtazapine is a very commonly used appetite stimulant and it can be compounded into a transdermal gel that is rubbed into the ear pinna. If she is not responding to your attempts to get her to eat using food that she likes, possibly sprinkled onto or combined with her food, you should let the vet know.

clubrockers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I was also wondering about nausea. She keeps licking her nose more often I observed. After eating some kibbles also her tongue is way more active than before. My vet has given me ondansetron but need to check if that can be given for nausea as well. He has told me to give it if she vomits. But can nausea also hold them from drinking water? I will check mirtazapine as well.

clubrockers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK, so I went ahead and gave her 2ml of Ondansetron and within half an hour she is eating her food on her own. So I guess it is nausea. Will check with the vet, how often can/should I give her.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Ondansetron is used for nausea and vomiting. I am really glad to hear that she is eating again. As for dosage, call the vet and ask what he intends for your cat. It is probably in your file and even a tech or office staff person can tell you what the vet prescribed. She does have to be hydrated enough, so watch that she does drink some water. Nausea and water frequently don't mix, so that is probably why she did not drink before.

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ask your vet about Nutri- Cal vitamin supplement gel it really helped my boy pick back up affter a UTI and try useing a childrens or feline liquid medicine syringe to add watter to canned cat food if their are issues drinking it will blend with the gravey and the cat wont notice you snuck in extra water my Caramel didnt want to drink or leave her pet carrier much affter her spay took three days to get her out of it voluntarily and two more before shed eat dry food or drinkwith out water added to her cann food.

clubrockers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my girl was recovering well but last Sunday she threw up suddenly at night after licking some wet food gravy. She has been only licking wet food gravy after her surgery, earlier she used to eat the pieces as well. She threw up mostly bile and maybe that licked wet food. Then after sometime she threw up again, white foam and some dry food she had eaten. At night she ate some dry food but vomited in the morning. I took her to the vet, she also had to get her stitches removed. Her incision has healed really well. I could feel she cared for it. I thought she would lick it and got her an e collar but she was not comfortable wearing it. The vet gave me some anti nausea medicine and some digestive stimulant. I gave her the medicines after coming home but she threw up after sometime of giving. She could keep the digestive stimulant down though. She was also not eating anything. I stopped giving her the medicines and she seemed ok. She ate about handful of dry food about thrice that day. She had passed urine and stools as normal. Now today she has licked some wet food gravy about twice and eaten some treats. She passed urine once in the morning but did not pass stools. She threw up some hairball in the morning. Also she drank some water in the morning and afternoon but threw up after drinking in the afternoon. She also has started eating both wet and dry food in a different way than earlier like she has her tongue more active after eating and she kind of crunches on dry food. She tries to use her front paws to kind of scrape her mouth like something is stuck there. Her mouth and tongue look ok to me. I called the vet and explained all this. He said it could be a hairball problem. She has not been grooming herself probably after the vet visit. She goes to the dry food bowl but won't eat. I think she wants to but something is holding her back. The vet has advised me to give her only the digestive stimulant for hairball. She is an aggressive cat looking at her mouth will be next to impossible for the vet without sedation. I am praying she starts eating and drinking like normal soon as well as her daily chores. Did anyone had any similar issue with their babies ? Any natural remedy I can give for hairball ?

Sick cat baffling the vet
The thread above has mostly similar issues as mine but no diagnosis as such.

clubrockers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She also keeps shaking her head for a few seconds sometimes everyday. This provably started after surgery.