Pink Quick Turned Black! Nail Fungus?

Kitcat2017

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,
I was about to clip the nails of my 12 months old male. I just noticed one of the claws seems to have a broken nail and the clear/pink quick had turned black! What do I do? Is it a fungus? Or it usually means something major? I decided to not trim his nails for now coz I don't wanna hurt him. Is it painful? What caused this? I'm worried my boy has been in pain... How fast do I need to take him to the vet? I don't get paid till Friday... poor kid is now mad at me coz I held him tight to look at it...

Please help.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - do your best to get a good photo of the issue and email that to your vet to see what they say.
Hang in there!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kitcat2017

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you... not sure if they'll accept photos.. I'm going to call tomorrow morning. But here is a photo in case you guys have seen something similar? His nail seems ro be broken and has strings/hair stuck. Thank you for your help. Excuse my sad, partially polished thumb..

Attachments

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That actually looks like dirt in the tip. If it were me, I would take the clippers and just snip the tip of that claw off where those threads are. The quick is the red fleshy part deeper down.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with Timmer Timmer . Looks like dirt or fur to me (although I’m just going off the picture don’t take my word for it). I believe if it were infected the quick would show a bright red color due to inflammation. Try clipping his nail or even just washing his nail with water.

The broken part just looks like the dead tip of the nail split. It’s happens a lot to my cats and dogs and I just snip it off with clippers.

leechi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you have any dark colored carpet? Clipped nails are prone to getting carpet strands wedged between the layers. I would try to pull them out if you can.

Btw, great job on the up close photo, those aren’t always easy to get!