Pink around my kittens eye

Mxggi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I recently rescued my three month old fur baby & I’ve noticed she has pink around one of her eyes. It doesn’t seem to be bothering her, and she’s acting like a normal kitty- but it still looks off to me. I’m not sure if it’s normal or not since I’ve never had a cat with white around their eyes! Please let me know. Thank you.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. She is pretty girl!! Sorry no one has responded to your post yet. So, the pink around the one eye has been there all along, or just a recent occurrence? Even though her eye doesn't appear to be bothering her, I would suggest a vet visit just to have it looked at. Or, at a minimum, send a pic to your vet and ask their opinion of it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mxggi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. She is pretty girl!! Sorry no one has responded to your post yet. So, the pink around the one eye has been there all along, or just a recent occurrence? Even though her eye doesn't appear to be bothering her, I would suggest a vet visit just to have it looked at. Or, at a minimum, send a pic to your vet and ask their opinion of it.
Thank you for responding! Yeah, the woman i rescued her from had sent me pictures when she was a kitten and i always noticed the pink around her eye- but i never knew if it was normal or what! I’ll attach a picture below.
8B75DF18-5651-4C2B-AA4F-23D4CAB7DA6B.jpeg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am guessing that it is normal for her, since it is not spreading or causing any other issues. On her next vet visit, you might want to just ask what they think. And, continue to take pics so you have something to monitor in terms of any possible changes to it. She is such a cutie!!

Mxggi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Turns out she has feline herpes & she’s having an outbreak due to the stress of moving homes! She’s perfectly healthy just has a slight upper respiratory infection from the complications of the herpes. :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the update! I don't personally know much about herpes, but there are a lot of members on this site who do. And, they have preventative treatments they give to their cats to help ward off herpes flare-ups.

I don't know if you know how to do searches on this site, so, I did one for you. The link below is to a whole host of previous threads regarding herpes, so it could take you awhile to look through them to see if there are some ideas that you might want to consider. Sorry, it is so long... Search Results for Query: herpes

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a herpes girl and the best thing you can do to help is to keep the stress level in your home low. Maintain a schedule with feedings, playtime, even cleaning the litter box and keep to routine. All kitties thrive on routine, but herpes kitties really need it. Sadly, this means no sleeping in on the weekends. LOL Calming agents such as Feliway diffusers or Comfort Zone diffusers may help as well.

Watch for eye discharge. If it's clear, it's okay, but if you notice any green or yellow, then she probably has an infection brewing. Work on feeding her a high quality food, mainly wet and grain free if you can find one that you're both happy with. Dry kibble is okay to supplement wet feedings.

When she does get sick, it can take longer than a normal kitty without the virus to get well and sometimes requires longer rounds of antibiotics or a second round of antibiotics. Try to avoid steroids because steroids actually suppress the immune system. I say that, but give my girl nose drops with a little bit of steroid in them, but the amount is negligible. We also give her a short course of prednisolone when her allergies get really bad.

Mxggi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for keeping up & giving me tips and tricks! I got some supplements from the vet today :)

Mxggi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a herpes girl and the best thing you can do to help is to keep the stress level in your home low. Maintain a schedule with feedings, playtime, even cleaning the litter box and keep to routine. All kitties thrive on routine, but herpes kitties really need it. Sadly, this means no sleeping in on the weekends. LOL Calming agents such as Feliway diffusers or Comfort Zone diffusers may help as well.

Watch for eye discharge. If it's clear, it's okay, but if you notice any green or yellow, then she probably has an infection brewing. Work on feeding her a high quality food, mainly wet and grain free if you can find one that you're both happy with. Dry kibble is okay to supplement wet feedings.

When she does get sick, it can take longer than a normal kitty without the virus to get well and sometimes requires longer rounds of antibiotics or a second round of antibiotics. Try to avoid steroids because steroids actually suppress the immune system. I say that, but give my girl nose drops with a little bit of steroid in them, but the amount is negligible. We also give her a short course of prednisolone when her allergies get really bad.
Thank you for the response! What are the drops you use? My kitty tends to get more nose drainage than eye drainage. Also- does the litter matter, considering how sensitive her eyes and nose are. Ive never had a cat with herpes so I’m trying to make her feel as happy and healthy as possible,

Last edited by a moderator:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We use a combo of World's Best Litter and Naturally Fresh walnut based litter. Sometimes it irritates Hannah and she'll sneeze, but most of the time she's okay with it.

We use Tobramycin drops. We really like to use Gentamycin drops, but the vet doesn't usually have them on hand. We sometimes just do plain saline drops and we have also used colloidal silver drops occasionally.