Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Pine Shavings As Litter

Discussion in 'Grooming & General Cat Care' started by kashmir64, Mar 10, 2019.

1. kashmir64

kashmir64 Thread Starter TCS Member Top Cat

Apr 9, 2017
    Arizona
    With this new cat, I now have a problem. I have to use non-clumping, unscented litter because Onsa has allergies to any perfumes. But now, after Kumal uses the litter box, he starts a sneezing attack and throws up. I'm thinking it's the dust in the clay litter. I use a low dust litter, but let's face it, clay is dusty.
    So what I'm thinking is to line the bottom with clay, taking it outside and moving it around to get most the dust out, and filling the rest with pine shaving horse bedding ( I still have 40 cf) an 80cf bag is less than $10.
    I have looked up if this will cause any problems to my cats, and couldn't find where it will. Does anyone have experience or concerns about using this?

Note: The boxes get dumped, cleaned and refilled every day.

Furballsmom purraised this.

2. Furballsmom

Furballsmom Cat Fan especially Black Cats Staff Member Forum Helper

Jan 9, 2018
    Colorado USA
    Hi!
    This could work - although I think I'd try changing the brand of the clay litter?

kashmir64 purraised this.

3. leechi

leechi TCS Member Adult Cat

Jan 8, 2017
    kashmir64 and Furballsmom purraised this.

4. Furballsmom

Jan 9, 2018
    Colorado USA
    kashmir64 purraised this.

5. Willowy

Willowy TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    Worth a try, I suppose. It's lightweight so they might kick it around. But hey, you don't know until you try.

Furballsmom and kashmir64 purraised this.

6. kashmir64

Apr 9, 2017
    Arizona
    Done that 3 times. This one is the best so far.
    I thought about that. Actually for awhile. Then I thought, what is so important in my life that I can't take 15 minutes a day to take proper care of my animals? So, I have no problem cleaning it up.

I don't know what I was saying when I wrote an 80cf bag. That would do half my barn. The bag is 8 cu. ft. I still have about 6.5cf and I know where to get it. I don't know where to buy enough pine pellets cheap enough to do this.

7. Furballsmom

Jan 9, 2018
    Colorado USA
    :thumbsup:

8. Willowy

Willowy TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    Tractor Supply has pine pellets, about $5 or $6 for a 40-pound bag. Probably other farm stores do too---it's for horse stalls. But a lot of cats don't like pellets, so you might have better success with the shavings.

lalagimp and Furballsmom purraised this.

9. kashmir64

Apr 9, 2017
    Arizona
    Well that didn't work. Kumal refused to go in it to poop.
    I had to go into the neighboring town today so I stopped at the pet store and bought a 40 lbs bag of Dr. Esley's Precious Cat Ultra.
    If this works, it will be great. There is no dust (99% dust free), perfume free and is a clumping litter.
    I just hope that I don't forget and accidentally dump it tomorrow since I've been dumping, rinsing/cleaning and refilling every day for years.

10. Furballsmom

Jan 9, 2018
    Colorado USA
    :vibes::crossfingers:

11. kashmir64

Apr 9, 2017
    Arizona
    I'm hooked. There has been no sneezing, no vomiting and it's hard clumping so when you clean you get it all. There is no dust when cleaning or pouring in more to replace what you took out.
    If anyone is looking for a great litter, this is the one.
    Also, a 40 lbs bag is under $20 (usd)
    cat litter.jpg