Pine Pellet Litter - can I use hot burning fuel sold @ Lowes or Home Depot?

dthlo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My daughter volunteers at the shelter and she told me that they use wood chips there. I am trying to get more information from her.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Daughter just got back to me and she said these are the ones the shelter uses. She believes they get them at Home Depot. I guess if the shelter uses them, they must be safe.

IMG_20221205_160210.jpg

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I used to go into the feed store and order 10+/- 40 pound bags of "wood pellets", used those for years and never had a problem.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You probably want to make sure you get pellets that actually label what kind of wood is used, and make sure it's kiln dried if it's pine since pine that is not kiln dried can release toxic phenol when peed on. I normally buy bags of pine pellet litter (used for horse stalls) from a farm store, but have bought bags of softwood (mix of pine and spruce) stove pellets from the hardware store without any problem too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dthlo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Greene Team Platinum Hardwood Pellets are not pine based. dried to average under 6% moisture.

White Oak

Red Oak

Poplar

Maple

Walnut

Hickory

Cherry

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Greene Team Platinum Hardwood Pellets are not pine based. dried to average under 6% moisture.

White Oak

Red Oak

Poplar

Maple

Walnut

Hickory

Cherry
I would also make sure the pellets actually say on the bag that they are safe for use as animal bedding, some are processed (kiln dried) to make them safe for animal bedding/litter but not all are and are only marketed as safe for use in stove pellets. Oak is another wood that I know contains phenol (I'm not sure about the other wood), so those pellets need to be kiln dried to be safe. If it doesn't say you can also try contacting the company and ask if they are safe for use for animals.

Another thing, I know some people do use hardwood pellets for litter instead of pine, but from what I've heard is it's not as good a soft wood in containing odors (which is likely why wood pellets for cats are pine) I don't know for sure though I've never used hardwood.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, my cat started using pine litter, and it has been great. Noticed that Lowes (https://www.lowes.com/pd/40-lb-Greene-Team-Platinum-Hardwood-Pellet-Fuel/50063465) and Home Depot (Green Supreme Premium Wood Pellet Fuel 40 lb. Bag FG51 - The Home Depot) sell 40lb bags of them. They are 100% wood with no additives, but not tested on animals. Has anyone used these products before as litter?
Big big No!

Pine and other woods are toxic to cats normally. Wood litters are treated so that the oils are no longer there making it safe.

I had tried rabbit pine litter as it was cheaper and found out the hard way with a big vet bill.