Pine litter

adventuregirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am thinking seriously of switching to Pine litter. Both of my cats are almost 2 years old. They used pine litter in the shelter, but I adopted them over a year ago. I recently switched to non clumping clay litter and they have no issues. I would like to switch to pine as I use up the remaining non clumping clay. I've done quite a bit of research about a slow transition, but I kinda wonder if I need to worry about it since they both used it before and there are no existing litter issues. Any thoughts?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
What I do when changing litter is put the new litter in one box and leave the other boxes with the old litter, rather than mixing and changing gradually. Once I see the kitties using the new litter I'll start changing the other boxes to the new litter one at a time as I clean them. I've never had any issues with a fairly rapid changeover that way.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As you have some of the usual litter, you could mix some pine pellets with it and over the course of a week, add more pine and less of the usual until it's all pine pellets.