Pine litter problem

TheAquaticCow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I bought a Tidy Cats Breeze litter system and tried to use the system with pine pellets (like pine litter), and when my cat peed, the pee ended up dripping through the pellets straight down into the bottom tray. Of course some was absorbed by the actual pellets, but there was still quite a lot dripping through. I've got a feeling that this has to do with how the system is designed so that the pee is funneled so that it drips onto the tray, where the pad is supposed to be. The bottom of the litter box is sloped towards the middle. Any way I can modify it so that it doesn't do that? Also, if you use a normal flat-bottomed sifting litter box, does it still have the same issue? Appreciate any insights. Thanks!

Elemteacherjoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use this system with a large petmate litter box underneath instead of the tray (the tray filled up too quickly anyway). Then I put a very thin layer of pellets in the bottom tray to absorb any urine that drips through. I scoop poo 1-2 times a day and "stir" ( to make the dust go down). Then I empty the bottom litter bin once a week.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two Arm and Hammer sifting litterboxes. I line the bottom pan with a pee pad and then elevate the top box with 2-inch pieces of PVC pipe. That allows room for the sawdust to fall through and collect on the bottom.

For the Breeze system, you could put some pellets under the siting part, as suggested above. Does the sloped bottom mean that you have to change the pads more often? I've never used the Breeze system myself.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
W Willowy the pellets original to the Breeze box don't break down into sawdust like pine pellets. They just drain the liquids. I think the issue being ran into is the fact that the sawdust is collecting on the sides of the bottom box, since the liquid pee would run to the pad

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How I'm reading it is that the OP thought the pellets would absorb the urine before it dripped down, so they aren't using anything absorbent in the bottom. But I don't think anything absorbs that quickly; there's going to be some dripping no matter what. So, yeah, I agree that using some extra pellets or a pee pad in the bottom of the box is necessary.