Pilling A Uncooperative Cat

Deepre

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have to give my cat a pill twice a day, and she is not cooperating, even putting it in her food isn't working, I need help!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're not saying what kind of pill you are giving the cat?
What is it for? How big is the pill?
Can it be crushed? Is there a liquid form or a transdermal gel for the same med?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some more tips:

Pilling Cats and Dogs Safely
How We Give Our Pill Hating Cat A Pill
Getting Cat To Take Pills... Post Tips Here.

Buy Pill Pockets from any pet store. You hide the pill inside one of the Pill Pocket treats and most cats will gobble it up right away.

Many pills are bitter tasting to cats so you have to use something to mask the outside of the pill.

You can also ask the vet if the medicine is available in a liquid form or if it can be compounded. Compounding medicine probably isn't worth the cost if your cat only needs to be on the medicine short term like a few days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Deepre

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you go to the pet store and get a pill popper....works quite well once you get the technique.
I could go get a pill popper, the problem I have is that she doesn't like to be held or restrained, when my son and I tried to put a pill in her mouth she hissed at us, and my son got bit, eventually got it in but she ran and hid after
You're not saying what kind of pill you are giving the cat?
What is it for? How big is the pill?
Can it be crushed? Is there a liquid form or a transdermal gel for the same med?
The pill is really small its for hyperthyroid ism , its tapazole. She does not like to be restrained so she puts up a fight. I don't know if it comes in another form

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tapazole can be compounded. Any compounding pharmacy can do this. Wedgewood Pharmacy is a popular online place.These are their options: Tapazole Medication & Information for Animals, Wedgewood Pet RX, Wedgewood Pet RX The flavored chew treat is an option if your cat likes treats. There is a transdermal gel option, too. Just be sure to use a q-tip or gloved finger to apply the gel to the ear. You don't want the medicine to be absorbed by your skin.

Since the pill is small, try Pill Pockets or any of the other tips linked above first before going the expensive compounding route. My cats love a bacon flavored pill dough.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The pill is really small its for hyperthyroid ism , its tapazole. She does not like to be restrained so she puts up a fight. I don't know if it comes in another form
Tapazole can be compounded into an eargel.
You apply it into the cat's ear and it is absorbed through the skin.

I used to do the same thing with my cat. The further advantage of the eargel is that it doesn't affect the stomach, so it's easy on many sides.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to either scruff her and use a pill popper, quickly and confidently! Or get it compounded into a gel or a yummy flavored treat.

Deepre

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tapazole can be compounded into an eargel.
You apply it into the cat's ear and it is absorbed through the skin.

I used to do the same thing with my cat. The further advantage of the eargel is that it doesn't affect the stomach, so it's easy on many sides.
As gel would be so much easier, I will talk to the vet about it

Deepre

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tapazole can be compounded. Any compounding pharmacy can do this. Wedgewood Pharmacy is a popular online place.These are their options: Tapazole Medication & Information for Animals, Wedgewood Pet RX, Wedgewood Pet RX The flavored chew treat is an option if your cat likes treats. There is a transdermal gel option, too. Just be sure to use a q-tip or gloved finger to apply the gel to the ear. You don't want the medicine to be absorbed by your skin.

Since the pill is small, try Pill Pockets or any of the other tips linked above first before going the expensive compounding route. My cats love a bacon flavored pill dough.
My cat loves treats so that may be the way to go

Last edited by a moderator:

Deepre

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah I think I'm going to try the pill pockets, I never thought of coating it in crushed up treats, I checked and greenies has salmon flavor, that might work

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All of my cats have either refused the pill pocket or would eat the pocket and spit out the pill. If your kitty is going to be on the tapazole long term, as I am guessing is the case because of the hyperthyroidism, I really recommend using the ear gel. It is so much easier on you and the cat, though it is more expensive.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your kitty is going to be on the tapazole long term, as I am guessing is the case because of the hyperthyroidism, I really recommend using the ear gel. It is so much easier on you and the cat, though it is more expensive.
Especially because the cat really needs to get that med, absolutely in the right dose, at the same time every day, and can't skip any dose. You must be sure kitty is consistent with the therapy!
The ear gel is easy and precise to use, kitty takes the right dose every time.

It is a bit more expensive, but it isn't an excessive expense.
I would pay about €15 each for a syringe worth a couple of weeks.

Deepre

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have to give my cat a pill twice a day, and she is not cooperating, even putting it in her food isn't working, I need help!
Well here I thought the pill pocket worked she ate the first one and then left iit the second time and ate the other treats! So frustrating!