Pilling a Cat and not just Any Cat

clarabelle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
North Mississippi, just far enough away from MELVI
I did not know which board to post this on so if you need to move me thats ok. Anyway I have 3 outside cats, they all started as ferals but now can be petted and live in my garage. They do not like to be picked up. My problems is they have tapeworms and I called the vet he will let me pick up the pills for them (does not come in liquid form). My problem is How do you Pill outside cats that do not like to be held? Hissy can you help? I know you have done this to a few unrulely cats

Thanks for any help in advance,
Clara

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have done it, and it is not easy to do. If the cat trusts you enough to get close, it can be done, and you have to be swift and gentle and not get bit. It would be easier to crush the pill into fine powder and give it to them in a gruel of babyfood and tuna juice.

If you can pet them then you use the pet first, scruff the neck, have the pill gun ready and shoot it down their throats. If you do it right, they don't even become rattled. But I would first start out by petting them, scruffing them gently feeding them a treat and letting them go. Then work up to the pill gun

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clarabelle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
North Mississippi, just far enough away from MELVI
Thanks Hissy, Looks like the 3 outside kitties get tuna for dinner
The Vet stated they get tapeworms from fleas and mice. I am going to start using advantage on them, but the mice----that is their job and apparently they are doing a Good Job.
Clara

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep that's what good mousers get for their trouble- tapeworms!
I routinely worm my barn cats about every 6 weeks in the summertime. I always have dead offerings to view in the barn, and I don't want my mousers to come down sick. You just want to be sure that the right cat gets the right medication, as it is determined by weight. So monitor the feeding time carefully so the cats get the correct dose.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I crush mine up and put it in some very stinky cat food. Like MA says, you have to be careful about which cats get which pills cause it is by weight. I get a separate plate for each (usually do all the cats at a time), and separate the plates so that each cat gets their own plate with pill. I stand guard over them to make sure they don't go for anyone else's plate. With 3 it shouldn't be too hard. If you have a lot, sometimes you have to separate out one at a time or it is too hard to control.