Pieces Of Glass In Liter!!

minniesunshine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I literally picked out small shards of glass in my kitties liter boxes!! I just cleaned out the box and saw pieces shining from the light, so I picked it up and it was GLASS! I've seen pieces shining before but just thought it was the way the light was hitting the liter. I'm changing liter tomorrow! It's Dr. Elseys. I'm calling the company also. But I wanted to post this in case anyone uses this liter. Make sure you check!!!!!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Yikes! I don't personally use this litter, but thanks for the heads up. Keep us updated on how the phone call goes.

Oscar&Copper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How big are the pieces of glass? Is it just this bag you've seen shiny pieces before? I don't know if there are any regulations surrounding cat litter. I would put some samples in zippy bags to keep as proof. Keep us updated.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What size were the pieces of "glass"? Are you seeing these within Dr Elseys clay litter?

I use one of Dr Elsey's clay cat litters, and it's my understanding that these are simply little pieces of silica flakes, which are likely used as an aid to help remove moisture from clay litter.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope it's not really glass! Sometimes I see shiny pieces in the litter that looks like glass, but it's not.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm betting it's silica flakes/crystals too. Even if that variety doesn't have silica crystals deliberately added, Dr Elsey's also sells silica crystal litter, so it's possible that a few bits got misplaced into the clumping litter. But do contact the company---they may send some nice coupons :D.