Pictures on the can label

crimmie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wish every brand and variety put a picture on the label. I am trying to find a grain free canned food that both of my babies will eat. No pate at all. No shredded for Crimmie. No fancy cuts of vegetables for either. Needs to be small pieces similar to Fancy Feast gravy lovers variety. After spending most of my day reading other threads about grain free wet foods, I was on a mission to find some options to try.
I picked up:
  1. Pride Rockstar's Rabbit
  2. Pride Champ's Chicken
  3. Nutro Natural Choice Minced Chicken and Shrimp
  4. Nutro Natural Choice Sliced Turkey
  5. NV Instinct LID Lamb
  6. NV Instinct LID Duck
  7. NV Instinct Venison
  8. NV Instinct Rabbit
  9. Nulo Medal Series Beef and Lamb
  10. Blue Wilderness Minced Chicken and Turkey
  11. Purina Pro Plan True Nature Beef and Liver
  12. Purina Pro Plan True Nature Chicken and Turkey

I already opened #1...Crimmie licked at it a bit, I didn't know there would be bits of spinach and carrots since there isn't a picture on the label :rolleyes2
Any other suggestions that aren't listed? Feel free to post a picture showing the food if you can :lol3:

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried the product website before buying?

Stay away from Halo if you don't like the chunks of veggies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crimmie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried the product website before buying?

Stay away from Halo if you don't like the chunks of veggies.
I will try that...the problem is I don't know what I'm buying until I get to the store.
Thanks for the heads up with Halo :D

crimmie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just looked at all of the cans use by date...I found 3 that are expired! One is November 15th 2014 :thud: Way to go Petco!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Someone on TCS posted a link to a picture that shows what the food looks like inside of can for a bunch of different brands. I think it may have posted been late last year? I'll try to find the link.

Google Images is usually helpful to find mages of what the food looks like.

Last edited:

lokhismom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

crimmie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are all the Instinct varieties pate??
Someone on TCS posted a link to a picture that shows what the food looks like inside of can for a bunch of different brands. I think it may have posted been late last year? I'll try to find the link.

Google Images is usually helpful to find mages of what the food looks like.
I have tried google images...it's hit or miss.
I just spent $30 on food that I wouldn't have purchased had I known it was pate :(

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's the one

Are all the Instinct varieties pate??

All are pate except for Pride by Instinct which are flaked or minced in gravy.

Are any of the Weruva foods an options? I know you said you didn't want veggies and extra "stuff" in the food but there is a shredded chicken in gravy that your cat might like (Paw Lickin Chicken). A few of the other varities may be ok as well.

Last edited:

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe read ingrediants that might help on the veggie part lol

2bcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

THAT is a really good help for such things, for sure!  The good thing now is compared to a few years ago there are more varieties of flaked and sliced than there used to be.  But it's still not always clear what some picky cats may eat or not.

The idea that that food manufacturers would put a picture on the label of what the actual contents look like is very very far from the current reality of marketing of pet food, sadly.

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish every brand and variety put a picture on the label. I am trying to find a grain free canned food that both of my babies will eat. No pate at all. No shredded for Crimmie. No fancy cuts of vegetables for either. Needs to be small pieces similar to Fancy Feast gravy lovers variety. After spending most of my day reading other threads about grain free wet foods, I was on a mission to find some options to try.
I picked up:
  1. I thought Natures variety was pate!
  2. Pride Rockstar's Rabbit
  3. Pride Champ's Chicken
  4. Nutro Natural Choice Minced Chicken and Shrimp
  5. Nutro Natural Choice Sliced Turkey
  6. NV Instinct LID Lamb
  7. NV Instinct LID Duck
  8. NV Instinct Venison
  9. NV Instinct Rabbit
  10. Nulo Medal Series Beef and Lamb
  11. Blue Wilderness Minced Chicken and Turkey
  12. Purina Pro Plan True Nature Beef and Liver
  13. Purina Pro Plan True Nature Chicken and Turkey

I already opened #1...Crimmie licked at it a bit, I didn't know there would be bits of spinach and carrots since there isn't a picture on the label :rolleyes2
Any other suggestions that aren't listed? Feel free to post a picture showing the food if you can :lol3:

Last edited:

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
I picked up:
  1. Pride Rockstar's Rabbit
  2. Pride Champ's Chicken
  3. Nutro Natural Choice Minced Chicken and Shrimp
  4. Nutro Natural Choice Sliced Turkey
  5. NV Instinct LID Lamb
  6. NV Instinct LID Duck
  7. NV Instinct Venison
  8. NV Instinct Rabbit
  9. Nulo Medal Series Beef and Lamb
  10. Blue Wilderness Minced Chicken and Turkey
  11. Purina Pro Plan True Nature Beef and Liver
  12. Purina Pro Plan True Nature Chicken and Turkey

Mine love rockstar rabbit

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Artie is eating the Rockstar Rabbit! I mash it down with a fork.

I have even ordered the Ritzy Rabbit from NV. It has a smaller chunk and has a bit more gravy. I still mash it up a bit, but not as much as the Rockstar. 

I do not care about the veggies, at this point. The green stuff is kale!! Who would have known!!

Artie is a very messy eater! He has had 2 dental done in 3 years. I do not know if it is his teeth or not, but he is so messy. He loves gravy. In fact I add additional water to his food. The Ritzy Rabbit seems to do better for him. Not as much waste. 

The only place I have seen it for purchase is on Chewy.

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
Artie is eating the Rockstar Rabbit! I mash it down with a fork.

I have even ordered the Ritzy Rabbit from NV. It has a smaller chunk and has a bit more gravy. I still mash it up a bit, but not as much as the Rockstar. 
I do not care about the veggies, at this point. The green stuff is kale!! Who would have known!!

Artie is a very messy eater! He has had 2 dental done in 3 years. I do not know if it is his teeth or not, but he is so messy. He loves gravy. In fact I add additional water to his food. The Ritzy Rabbit seems to do better for him. Not as much waste. 

The only place I have seen it for purchase is on Chewy.
Amazon has it I think

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
I feed Pride rabbit as a treat along with tiki or Weruva. I feed cheaper brands like Merrick and Nutro and red barn and Fancy Feast more often. They get the good stuff every 3 days or so. I am now feeding a little feral female I am about to trap for spaying, so I started buying some Fancy feast and Merrick dry. My cats beg for it, go figure, they like the cheap stuff! It's me that would prefer they eat better, just like kids. [emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]128062[/emoji]

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Any of the Nutro minced or slices are going to be just that, and honestly, I can't tell the difference between slices and minced pieces.  My guys like the chicken and tuna, and the turkey and salmon, but not the chicken and shrimp or any other varieties of the minced or slices.  But they also like the chunky chicken, which is a mix of pate and a few large chunks. 

Tiki, Weruva and even BFF might serve the purpose.  Some have vegies, some don't, just read the ingreadients (as someone pointed out).  NONE of those brands are pates.  (unless something has changed)

I find Petco doesn't carry nearly the variety of Nutro that Petsmart carries.  Additionally, they should take back any unopened cans, so don't feel you have to keep them.