Picky picky!

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I have my answer at last, my cat will ONLY eat the duck from hare today.  Duck from my grocery store is completely unacceptable.  Last year when I started her on raw I ordered some from there and was thrilled that she ate it right up, next order got some more, ran out last fall and although more expensive figured I would buy one local to get by, suddenly she wouldn't touch duck.  Took me months to figure out what the problem was but I didn't need to make another order yet so she got by on less proteins and some canned (she won't eat freeze dried, I do have SC duck patties for the ferrets).  Got in a new hare today order last week, plopped a heart, some gizzard and a neck for her yesterday and she went to town like she hasn't been refusing duck for months!  Brat.  I ordered a decent amount this time, a whole duck, 2 pounds of necks, 2 pounds of wings and 2 pounds of hearts, really hoping that the source was the issue and she would eat this and it paid off!  Now let's hope she doesn't have the same pickiness with rabbit, I had been getting it from hare today but I can get it for way cheaper from a new source and have 35 pounds coming this week, not all for her, the dog and ferrets as well. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
And good news, she dove into the rabbit right off the bat!  They sent an extra 10 pounds so I got 45 pounds of rabbit for $77 shipped, I love this source although getting a box of dead rabbits in the mail is a little unnerving and my boyfriend was not excited about spending the day butchering and chopping with me, isn't it the woman who are supposed to be wussy about that stuff lol!  He made me find him gloves so he didn't have to touch them.  All the carnivores got rabbit today. 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:yeah: Your BF has no idea what he is in for. That reminds me of a time, years ago, when my daughter wanted this lizard from the pet store. A Tegu. We had to feed it frozen mice. :eek: My husband had to chop them up in threes so the little lizard could eat them. I am sure it could have eaten the whole mouse - but we were not sure. Anyway - butchering little (already dead btw) mice will be nothing compared to the rabbits. I don't think I could do that ....... :dash: :lol3:

Last edited:

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If it helps my image, I bought a hatchet just for these rabbits, one of my coworkers used to trap and I asked him for an easier way to chop frozen rabbit, it was that or a bandsaw.  I've chopped two whole rabbits before this so I have experience at least.  I've never chopped up mice, but I do have to chop rats and guinea pigs in half and I usually do the quail as well for my ferrets, I ordered a ton of whole prey when I started raw but lost two ferrets quickly to lymphoma (they are very cancer prone) and the two I have left just don't eat that much.  And rabbits and guinea pigs I have to gut.  The first time I chopped a whole chicken it was a world of weird for me but we are far past that now lol. 

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He got the hatchet, that's why I made him help, I like all my fingers.  I have a little ulu I chop with.  I really need a sweet knife set.