Picky? Or Full?

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How do I know that my cat is getting picky with her food? Because she takes forever to eat a can of food. I don't know whether to pile it up, cut it down, sprinkle with cat nip, mix with dry food. When I had another cat, she always gobbled it down. Granted it is a newer food, she started slowly eating it all. It's dangerous because I can't leave out wet food more than 30 minutes. What should I do? ps. she is Persian

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
the feeding recommendations for a 6 pound cat is 2 cans.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
You can leave out wet food at room temp longer than 30 mins. Some people leave it for hours.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You can leave out wet food at room temp longer than 30 mins. Some people leave it for hours.
thanks for responding. It is a new food. She doesn't have many teeth left. You think she would prefer wet food. I put it on a clean paper plate each time.
After she started scooting it across the floor trying to eat, I put the paper plate in a dish.
It's been working.
If i put it on a real saucer she takes hours to eat.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you feeding only one kind of food? Or are you feeding a variety? Some cats (ours included) won't eat the same thing meal after meal. Other cats, of course, only want one thing.

I completely agree with Azazel about it being okay to leave wet food out for more than a half hour. Another thing you could try, though, is to feed more meals per day, feeding less food at each meal. We do that, too, and it really helps with our cat who's a slow and slightly picky eater.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Are you feeding only one kind of food? Or are you feeding a variety? Some cats (ours included) won't eat the same thing meal after meal. Other cats, of course, only want one thing.

I completely agree with Azazel about it being okay to leave wet food out for more than a half hour. Another thing you could try, though, is to feed more meals per day, feeding less food at each meal. We do that, too, and it really helps with our cat who's a slow and slightly picky eater.
I tried feeding half a can at a time. She was ate it faster, and bugged me for the other half. I don't have that kind of time most days. Since it is a weekend I have been investigating.
The guidelines say she should get 2 cans per day.
My schedule is weird. I put down a can and run most days. Tonight I timed her, it took 4 hours to eat a can.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I have to feed her the Hill's stomach and skin because of her issues. So I got wet due to it looks like she is in pain when she chews, and I use the dry food for treats.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I fed her 1/2 can, and she had a bowel movement. This is what I want. However; I may need to get an automatic wet food feeder scheduled at noon and midnight. Any suggestions?

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
I use the catmate c20. It has room for an ice pack too.

I usually leave it for about 5 hours when I head to work for the day so I actually freeze the wet food into pre-sized portions before putting it in the feeder. It usually is defrosted by the time it opens. You can run some tests with it to see how long it takes your wet food to defrost. It may or may not be necessary to freeze in advance depending on how long you’re leaving it out for.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use the catmate c20. It has room for an ice pack too.

I usually leave it for about 5 hours when I head to work for the day so I actually freeze the wet food into pre-sized portions before putting it in the feeder. It usually is defrosted by the time it opens. You can run some tests with it to see how long it takes your wet food to defrost. It may or may not be necessary to freeze in advance depending on how long you’re leaving it out for.
Dang, what I want is too expensive. SureFeed microchip pet feeder, along with the hub, and the pet door =). It's about $500-$700 without installation. I might just have to get up earlier, and stay up later to find a way to get 4 meals in there for her until I am able to invest in these items. By then, there maybe better things out there.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Dang, what I want is too expensive. SureFeed microchip pet feeder, along with the hub, and the pet door =). It's about $500-$700 without installation. I might just have to get up earlier, and stay up later to find a way to get 4 meals in there for her until I am able to invest in these items. By then, there maybe better things out there.
Why not just use the catmate c20? I’ve been using it for over a year with no problems.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don’t see what advantage this has over the c20 for a single cat besides being fancy and expensive. The microchip opener is only worth it if you have multiple cats. You can monitor how much they eat by portioning the food yourself beforehand and I also don’t see space for an ice pack.
well, you're right. tonight I gave her 1/2 can wet and added 1/2 of the amount of dry to equal a serving and she prefers dry. I'm still experimenting. I don't want to buy anything just yet, I shouldn't of said anything.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
well, you're right. tonight I gave her 1/2 can wet and added 1/2 of the amount of dry to equal a serving and she prefers dry. I'm still experimenting. I don't want to buy anything just yet, I shouldn't of said anything.
The c20 is made for wet food though. And wet food is healthier than dry so if you can feed her all wet then that would be better.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry about how long it takes her to eat as long as she is maintaining the weight you want her to be at. I would also give her a little variety if her stomach can handle it. Lastly, if she needs to put on weight, add some dry as an option. Her not having a lot of teeth doesn't matter.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Apparently I didn't read all the replies well, you ARE offering dry, so that's good. I really think an automatic feeder is unnecessary. Canned can sit out for a long time, they don't mind. Dry can be out of course too so she should be fine to graze as she wants to.

Sally395

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Right now I'm serving my cat, with very little teeth, his food on a 8.5 inch plate. Before I used a bowl and he never ate his wet food.
He still takes forever to eat though, but he comes back.
Maybe try feeding without the paper plate? See if the texture is a problem? Or maybe she just doesn't love this food enough to eat it all right away.

I wish I could find a freezer able plate, like they make those freeze able bowls for lunch boxes.